7 Ways to Use Your iPad at Your Gatherings
I’ve never been as impressed with my iPad as I was this past weekend. I had two major gatherings that I was the point person on:
1) Our weekly worship gathering, and
2) A missions team meeting.
My iPad was able to control the entire programmatic elements of each night. It was hot. Here’s how I used it.
- Speaking/Notes: This is the ‘of course’ application of the iPad. I use GoodReader exclusively for preaching/teaching/meeting outlines.
- Music: Using the Remote app I was able to wirelessly control my entire iTunes library through our sound system. Easy peasy.
- ProPresenter: We use ProPresenter 5 as our worship presentation software of choice. The iPhone/iPad app for ProPresenter is incredible. The app’s UI makes it clear to see and wirelessly control the media line-up of the night (worship lyrics, videos, presentations, announcements, etc.).
- Keynote: Using the Keynote remote I was able to wirelessly change slides and view my presenter notes while I was speaking.
- Remote Mouse: During our missions meeting I needed to navigate around the web. Instead of doing it from the back of the room, I downloaded an app called Remote mouse which turned my iPad into a wireless trackpad and keyboard for the computer at the back of the room. Worked flawlessly.
- Games: You can wirelessly connect the iPad (version 2 and the new iPad) to your projector through an Apple TV. For crowdbreakers and downtime we had people playing some Temple Run/Angry Birds/Fruit Ninja. If you were at SYMC this year you would have saw the game “Facebook Hack” running on this system. Super fun.
- Gathering Info: If you’re familiar with this blog your are probably tired of hearing about Wufoo. We’ve created an online form to gather new student’s info (see here). By adding this webpage to the homescreen for quick reference, our welcome team goes around on the iPad/iPhone and gathers info (students get a $1 to our cafe if they give us their info). Based on grade and gender, the appropriate small group leader is emailed the new student's info for follow up.
Here’s my suggestion for using multiple apps at a gathering:
- Shutdown all apps that aren’t needed. It just causes confusion.
- Don’t use the four finger swipe gesture to switch between apps. I love doing this between 2-3 apps. However, if you are running more than 3 apps I would double-tap the home button or use the four finger swipe up to bring up all open apps. I find it easier to navigate.
There is 7 great ways to use the iPad in your ministry, but I know there’s more!
What are some other ways you use your iPad in your ministry?
Ken McIntyre runs kenmcintyre.org, a website designed to help church leaders leverage technology for ministry. He loves to see students dream and live big!
- Manuel Corzo just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeremy Morgan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘Danny Gokey Getaway Contest’ – all you need to know about it.
- Kelley Mathews published the article For Couples Getting Married: Don’t Save Yourself for your Wedding Night!.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 'Kidnapped for Christ' Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 'Tables in the Wilderness' | Preston Yancey [Excerpt].
- Robin Norgren published the blogpost Spark and Inspire: You have the Idea You just Need a Little Help.
- Jonathan Pearson published the blogpost Next Up Podcast: 3 Ways to Live & Lead in The Moment (Episode 6).
- Kelley Mathews published the article Measuring Progress in Eliminating Teen Entitlement.
- Linn Garcia just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Thom Turner published the blogpost 4 Concepts Back To The Future Teaches Us About Worship.
- John Bucher published the blogpost SAINT GLADYS? My LATEST POST on HBO’s WATCHINGTHELEFTOVERS.com.
- India Fredericks just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Michelle Burger just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brian Niece > Momentum Church Leader ConversationsThis might be insightful for leaders :: http://www.brianniece.com/2014/07/03/3-leadership-realities-that-arent-obvious/
- Brian Niece > Mission WritersMight be helpful to someone :: http://www.brianniece.com/2014/07/31/god-brokenness-archives/
- George Bullard published the blogpost Is the Church Too Busy Attending Meetings and Talking With Itself?.
- David Brown just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Dave Dunham published the blogpost Christian Reflections on Lust, Modesty, and Beauty (Part 4): Modesty Culture.
- Linda Kardamis published the blogpost Should You Keep Teaching After You Start a Family?.
- Felicia Crawford just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Sheridan Voysey published the blogpost Don’t Just Apologise, Make Amends (My BBC Radio 2 Spot).
- Adam Smith published the blogpost [Studies] How to Handle Cursing In The Workplace – Julia Winston.
- C Drury just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Amber Soares created a new gallery
- Amber Soares just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 10 Characteristics Of Effective Church Communications.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost 'An Evening of One Acts': Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad.