7 Ways to Use Your iPad at Your Gatherings
I’ve never been as impressed with my iPad as I was this past weekend. I had two major gatherings that I was the point person on:
1) Our weekly worship gathering, and
2) A missions team meeting.
My iPad was able to control the entire programmatic elements of each night. It was hot. Here’s how I used it.
- Speaking/Notes: This is the ‘of course’ application of the iPad. I use GoodReader exclusively for preaching/teaching/meeting outlines.
- Music: Using the Remote app I was able to wirelessly control my entire iTunes library through our sound system. Easy peasy.
- ProPresenter: We use ProPresenter 5 as our worship presentation software of choice. The iPhone/iPad app for ProPresenter is incredible. The app’s UI makes it clear to see and wirelessly control the media line-up of the night (worship lyrics, videos, presentations, announcements, etc.).
- Keynote: Using the Keynote remote I was able to wirelessly change slides and view my presenter notes while I was speaking.
- Remote Mouse: During our missions meeting I needed to navigate around the web. Instead of doing it from the back of the room, I downloaded an app called Remote mouse which turned my iPad into a wireless trackpad and keyboard for the computer at the back of the room. Worked flawlessly.
- Games: You can wirelessly connect the iPad (version 2 and the new iPad) to your projector through an Apple TV. For crowdbreakers and downtime we had people playing some Temple Run/Angry Birds/Fruit Ninja. If you were at SYMC this year you would have saw the game “Facebook Hack” running on this system. Super fun.
- Gathering Info: If you’re familiar with this blog your are probably tired of hearing about Wufoo. We’ve created an online form to gather new student’s info (see here). By adding this webpage to the homescreen for quick reference, our welcome team goes around on the iPad/iPhone and gathers info (students get a $1 to our cafe if they give us their info). Based on grade and gender, the appropriate small group leader is emailed the new student's info for follow up.
Here’s my suggestion for using multiple apps at a gathering:
- Shutdown all apps that aren’t needed. It just causes confusion.
- Don’t use the four finger swipe gesture to switch between apps. I love doing this between 2-3 apps. However, if you are running more than 3 apps I would double-tap the home button or use the four finger swipe up to bring up all open apps. I find it easier to navigate.
There is 7 great ways to use the iPad in your ministry, but I know there’s more!
What are some other ways you use your iPad in your ministry?
Ken McIntyre runs kenmcintyre.org, a website designed to help church leaders leverage technology for ministry. He loves to see students dream and live big!
- Kari Baumann published the blogpost what I have been reading (back to school tired brain edition)..
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost The Two Hardest But Most Important Words A Leader Can Say.
- Marie Osborne published the blogpost Fall is for New Friends (also, pumpkin EVERYTHING!).
- Gayle BrownGod is so good. Remember to share His grace. 😇
- Gayle Brown just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Cheri Henderson published the blogpost Don’t Go Breaking Their Hearts: A Message to Young Women.
- Jamie Calloway-Hanauer published the blogpost Seeing an Empathetic Space: The Challenge of a Christian Witness in America.
- John Rutledge published the article Turbans not enough: Canadian helmet law disappoints Sikhs.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost What national voices are saying about Baylor’s McLane Stadium.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 4 Simple But Yet Crucial Reminders For Every Leader.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Sanctus Real to release new album, ‘The Dream’ October 14.
- solomon david published the blogpost WordPress Gallery Plugin Displays Images And Video Beautifully.
- solomon david published the blogpost Windows Phone 8.1 Brings Improved YouTube Experience, Lock Screen & More.
- Brad Andres published the blogpost Whether You Walk On Water or Take A Swim, “The Water Feels Alright”.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘I’m Not Religious at All, I Have a Relationship With God’ – Lecrae.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Tips for Engaging Volunteers in your Youth Program.
- Courtney Rowland published the blogpost Grilled Flank Steak Sandwiches with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms #WeekdaySupper.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Meet Worship leader Bridgett Kern, listen to new single.