7 Ways to Use Your iPad at Your Gatherings
I’ve never been as impressed with my iPad as I was this past weekend. I had two major gatherings that I was the point person on:
1) Our weekly worship gathering, and
2) A missions team meeting.
My iPad was able to control the entire programmatic elements of each night. It was hot. Here’s how I used it.
- Speaking/Notes: This is the ‘of course’ application of the iPad. I use GoodReader exclusively for preaching/teaching/meeting outlines.
- Music: Using the Remote app I was able to wirelessly control my entire iTunes library through our sound system. Easy peasy.
- ProPresenter: We use ProPresenter 5 as our worship presentation software of choice. The iPhone/iPad app for ProPresenter is incredible. The app’s UI makes it clear to see and wirelessly control the media line-up of the night (worship lyrics, videos, presentations, announcements, etc.).
- Keynote: Using the Keynote remote I was able to wirelessly change slides and view my presenter notes while I was speaking.
- Remote Mouse: During our missions meeting I needed to navigate around the web. Instead of doing it from the back of the room, I downloaded an app called Remote mouse which turned my iPad into a wireless trackpad and keyboard for the computer at the back of the room. Worked flawlessly.
- Games: You can wirelessly connect the iPad (version 2 and the new iPad) to your projector through an Apple TV. For crowdbreakers and downtime we had people playing some Temple Run/Angry Birds/Fruit Ninja. If you were at SYMC this year you would have saw the game “Facebook Hack” running on this system. Super fun.
- Gathering Info: If you’re familiar with this blog your are probably tired of hearing about Wufoo. We’ve created an online form to gather new student’s info (see here). By adding this webpage to the homescreen for quick reference, our welcome team goes around on the iPad/iPhone and gathers info (students get a $1 to our cafe if they give us their info). Based on grade and gender, the appropriate small group leader is emailed the new student's info for follow up.
Here’s my suggestion for using multiple apps at a gathering:
- Shutdown all apps that aren’t needed. It just causes confusion.
- Don’t use the four finger swipe gesture to switch between apps. I love doing this between 2-3 apps. However, if you are running more than 3 apps I would double-tap the home button or use the four finger swipe up to bring up all open apps. I find it easier to navigate.
There is 7 great ways to use the iPad in your ministry, but I know there’s more!
What are some other ways you use your iPad in your ministry?
Ken McIntyre runs kenmcintyre.org, a website designed to help church leaders leverage technology for ministry. He loves to see students dream and live big!
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Standing On The Never Changing Truths Found In The Word Of God by Debbie Harris.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost All That Really Matters Is Christ’s Approval by Debbie Harris.
- Greg Flagg published the blogpost Prayer for the Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost (Ordinary Time).
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments with Michael Yankoski | Is Faith Just An Idea?.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments with Michael Yankoski | Is Faith Just An Idea?.
- Courtney Rowland published the blogpost Caramel Apple Cider Ginger Ale Floats #SundaySupper.
- Leon Bloder published the blogpost Small Thing Big Difference: Week Three - "Words Get In The Way".
- Dwayne Robinson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost The Sacred Year by Michael Yankoski | Blog Tour and Free Book Offer.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost The Sacred Year by Michael Yankoski | Blog Tour and Free Book Offer.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost The old maid and her old lady hoarder hobby - with product reviews.
- Roxie Keenan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Elisabeth Gifford shares the Gaelic myth of selkies and mermaids.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 18 Leadership Quotes And Lessons From Left Behind: The Movie.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost All God’s People Are Filled With The Beauty Of Our Triune God by Debbie Harris.
- Lara Krupicka published the blogpost Make a Wish: Setting One-Year Bucket List Intentions.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Parents’ Primer on Internet Pornography – UPDATED!.
- Ron Edmondson published the blogpost A Personal Opinion About Investing in the Community.
- solomon david published the blogpost Perception System and Rchilli Becomes Business Partner.
- Bronwyn Lea published the blogpost 48 Tips from the World’s Worst Potty Trainer (A Cautionary Tale).
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost The Top 10 Leadership Posts I Read The Week Of September 15th.
- Antwuan Malone published the blogpost Child Abuse, Domestic Violence, Homosexual Rights and Other Signs of Our Times.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Thousand Foot Krutch announces fall headline “Born This Way Tour”.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Shelly Johnson to drop new album, ‘Your Kingdom Come’ Sept. 23.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: CNN Anchors in Way Over Their Heads.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost (Birthday Edition) SOTW: ‘Steady Heart’ by Steffany Gretzinger.
- Brad Russell published the article 3 Reasons Why Financial Giving Culture Has Changed.