7 Ways to Use Your iPad at Your Gatherings
I’ve never been as impressed with my iPad as I was this past weekend. I had two major gatherings that I was the point person on:
1) Our weekly worship gathering, and
2) A missions team meeting.
My iPad was able to control the entire programmatic elements of each night. It was hot. Here’s how I used it.
- Speaking/Notes: This is the ‘of course’ application of the iPad. I use GoodReader exclusively for preaching/teaching/meeting outlines.
- Music: Using the Remote app I was able to wirelessly control my entire iTunes library through our sound system. Easy peasy.
- ProPresenter: We use ProPresenter 5 as our worship presentation software of choice. The iPhone/iPad app for ProPresenter is incredible. The app’s UI makes it clear to see and wirelessly control the media line-up of the night (worship lyrics, videos, presentations, announcements, etc.).
- Keynote: Using the Keynote remote I was able to wirelessly change slides and view my presenter notes while I was speaking.
- Remote Mouse: During our missions meeting I needed to navigate around the web. Instead of doing it from the back of the room, I downloaded an app called Remote mouse which turned my iPad into a wireless trackpad and keyboard for the computer at the back of the room. Worked flawlessly.
- Games: You can wirelessly connect the iPad (version 2 and the new iPad) to your projector through an Apple TV. For crowdbreakers and downtime we had people playing some Temple Run/Angry Birds/Fruit Ninja. If you were at SYMC this year you would have saw the game “Facebook Hack” running on this system. Super fun.
- Gathering Info: If you’re familiar with this blog your are probably tired of hearing about Wufoo. We’ve created an online form to gather new student’s info (see here). By adding this webpage to the homescreen for quick reference, our welcome team goes around on the iPad/iPhone and gathers info (students get a $1 to our cafe if they give us their info). Based on grade and gender, the appropriate small group leader is emailed the new student's info for follow up.
Here’s my suggestion for using multiple apps at a gathering:
- Shutdown all apps that aren’t needed. It just causes confusion.
- Don’t use the four finger swipe gesture to switch between apps. I love doing this between 2-3 apps. However, if you are running more than 3 apps I would double-tap the home button or use the four finger swipe up to bring up all open apps. I find it easier to navigate.
There is 7 great ways to use the iPad in your ministry, but I know there’s more!
What are some other ways you use your iPad in your ministry?
Ken McIntyre runs kenmcintyre.org, a website designed to help church leaders leverage technology for ministry. He loves to see students dream and live big!
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost AP Smears Trail Life Boys With Misleading ‘Nazi’ Photo.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost Monetize on Your Blog With Affiliate Marketing – Courtney Gordner.
- George BullardMarch 7th: Transform Congregations By Discovering the Invisible Signs #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/03/march-7th-transform-congregations-by-discovering-the-invisible-signs-365ssiftc.html
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Mentor Program Deadline, Mentors are Vital for Success, Restoring the Dignity of Work.
- Lindsey Bell published the blogpost Miscarriages, Parenting, and How to Find Hope Through It All.
- Barry Sudduth just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Winners Announced from Rachel Hauck’s ‘Princess Ever After’ Author Chat Party.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Winners Announced from Rachel Hauck’s ‘Princess Ever After’ Author Chat Party.
- Juli Fischer just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Barbara Cameron talks about her latest release, A Road Unknown.
- Aaron Smith published the blogpost Your Love Never Fails (Anthony Skinner and Chris McClarney).
- Megan Westra published the blogpost Fluffy, Delicious, Protein Pancakes (gluten, dairy and refined sugar free).
- Blake AtwoodTalking to IBC!
- Kelley Mathews published the article Adoption: Giving A Family, Not Just Getting A Child.
- Blake Atwood published the video Keeping Your Identity and Faith in Christ | Barry Corey.
- Blake Atwood published the video Transformed: Transforming How I See & Use Money | Rick Warren.
- Jewish Voice published the blogpost Woliso Medical Mission: Serving Up Healing and Hope.
- Ryan Gregg published the video 'It's Your Life (Acoustic)' | Francesca Battistelli.
- Liz Edwards just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Blake Atwood uploaded a photo
- Kari Baumann published the blogpost what I have been reading (spring please come soon edition)..
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Get 5 or More Copies of What’s Best Next for 50% Off at WTS Books.
- Christine O'Shields created a new gallery
- chris FabrinHope Everyone Had A Great Ash Wednesday Have A Blessed Day..