7 Ways to Use Your iPad at Your Gatherings
I’ve never been as impressed with my iPad as I was this past weekend. I had two major gatherings that I was the point person on:
1) Our weekly worship gathering, and
2) A missions team meeting.
My iPad was able to control the entire programmatic elements of each night. It was hot. Here’s how I used it.
- Speaking/Notes: This is the ‘of course’ application of the iPad. I use GoodReader exclusively for preaching/teaching/meeting outlines.
- Music: Using the Remote app I was able to wirelessly control my entire iTunes library through our sound system. Easy peasy.
- ProPresenter: We use ProPresenter 5 as our worship presentation software of choice. The iPhone/iPad app for ProPresenter is incredible. The app’s UI makes it clear to see and wirelessly control the media line-up of the night (worship lyrics, videos, presentations, announcements, etc.).
- Keynote: Using the Keynote remote I was able to wirelessly change slides and view my presenter notes while I was speaking.
- Remote Mouse: During our missions meeting I needed to navigate around the web. Instead of doing it from the back of the room, I downloaded an app called Remote mouse which turned my iPad into a wireless trackpad and keyboard for the computer at the back of the room. Worked flawlessly.
- Games: You can wirelessly connect the iPad (version 2 and the new iPad) to your projector through an Apple TV. For crowdbreakers and downtime we had people playing some Temple Run/Angry Birds/Fruit Ninja. If you were at SYMC this year you would have saw the game “Facebook Hack” running on this system. Super fun.
- Gathering Info: If you’re familiar with this blog your are probably tired of hearing about Wufoo. We’ve created an online form to gather new student’s info (see here). By adding this webpage to the homescreen for quick reference, our welcome team goes around on the iPad/iPhone and gathers info (students get a $1 to our cafe if they give us their info). Based on grade and gender, the appropriate small group leader is emailed the new student's info for follow up.
Here’s my suggestion for using multiple apps at a gathering:
- Shutdown all apps that aren’t needed. It just causes confusion.
- Don’t use the four finger swipe gesture to switch between apps. I love doing this between 2-3 apps. However, if you are running more than 3 apps I would double-tap the home button or use the four finger swipe up to bring up all open apps. I find it easier to navigate.
There is 7 great ways to use the iPad in your ministry, but I know there’s more!
What are some other ways you use your iPad in your ministry?
Ken McIntyre runs kenmcintyre.org, a website designed to help church leaders leverage technology for ministry. He loves to see students dream and live big!
- Valerie Perrine just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost High School Footballer Pull Off An Incredibly Inspirational Interview.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost How To Stick With Youth Ministry For The Long Haul.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Children’s Book Shares Transgender Story With Kids Ages 4-8.
- solomon david published the blogpost Effective Steps to Setup WordPress Multisite With An Ease.
- Jonathan Pearson published the blogpost Overcoming Our Identity Crisis: A Guest Post By Michael Perkins.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Cheerleaders Defy School’s Ban, Lead Crowd in Lord’s Prayer.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost ‘Slenderman’ Costumes Sold in County Where Girl Was Brutally Stabbed.
- solomon david published the blogpost Mobile Web or Mobile Application – Which One You Need Most For Your Online Store?.
- Greg Atkinson published the blogpost Big Announcement: I’m Joining the Staff of Transformation Church.
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when you can read the first chapter of tables in the wilderness for free.
- George Mark just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost Dare Mighty Things: Your Life Matters Guest Post by Halee Gray Scott.
- Lindsey Bell published the blogpost Become a Better Mom – Week 4 Challenge: Go Hands Free.
- Natasha Crain published the blogpost 4 Easy Ways Parents Can Use the Internet to Grow Giving Hearts.
- GerDonna Ellis just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Kallie Ybarra published the blogpost Cheap Huggies at Rite Aid and Money-Maker Colgate at Target.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Gameplay Broadcasting May Be the New Big Thing in Streaming Entertainment.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Standing On The Never Changing Truths Found In The Word Of God by Debbie Harris.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost All That Really Matters Is Christ’s Approval by Debbie Harris.
- Greg Flagg published the blogpost Prayer for the Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost (Ordinary Time).
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments with Michael Yankoski | Is Faith Just An Idea?.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments with Michael Yankoski | Is Faith Just An Idea?.
- Courtney Rowland published the blogpost Caramel Apple Cider Ginger Ale Floats #SundaySupper.
- Leon Bloder published the blogpost Small Thing Big Difference: Week Three - "Words Get In The Way".