It was official. Not one tear. Not even the slightest tingle. You know, the one that turns into that nasal burning sensation just before your eyes begin to fill up with water.
I’d made it a whole day without crying. Chalk one up to manhood. To emotional control. I did it.
I was 7.
I’m not sure where I got the idea that men and emotion don’t mix. It wasn’t overtly taught to me. But let’s face it, I don’t ever remember seeing Magnum P.I. bearing his soul to Higgins over a box of Kleenex. Not with that manly mustache.
So I kicked crying to the curb. I learned to take control of the underlying triggers that led towards those embarrassing emotional displays. I identified them, then I stopped feeling them. I numbed.
Dulling the pain of being picked last for kickball seems harmless enough. Perhaps even mature (the neighbor kids just couldn’t appreciate my special brand of awesomeness). But when those subliminally learned behaviors take root in how I interact (or struggle to interact) with my wife, my daughter, or the rest of the world around me, the negative effects of emotional compression begin to emerge.
When music is recorded in a professional studio, the final mixes are run through a digital compressor. While the full range of these sound waves can be experienced in an acoustically-treated room through a pair of $4,500 audio monitors, that same music wouldn’t sound right on my car stereo or over my built-in MacBook speakers. They can’t handle richness. The compressor smashes the sound waves into a narrow channel so the music can be better experienced on lower quality equipment.
I fear that’s the way a lot of us live. Compressed. Squished. Low-fi.
We’ve learned to protect ourselves from the lowest lows, and in turn, sacrifice the highest highs. We numb the pain, and we also stop feeling the joy.
And it’s understandable. Life can be excruciatingly painful. Tragic even. But I often wonder how much more beautiful it could be if we didn’t avoid feeling it. All of it. Uncompressed.
What do you think? Is that even possible? Healthy? Can we protect ourselves against pain without also dulling our ability to experience joy? Does God fit into this dialog, or is this just human psychology?
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Meet Worship leader Bridgett Kern, listen to new single.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 7 Habits Of An Unhealthy Culture vs. 7 Habits Of A Healthy Culture.
- Edgar Galdamez published the blogpost The Life of a Pastor: Service, Stress, Solitude, Sacrifice.
- George Bullard published the blogpost Are Millennials Different than Baby Boomers 40 Years Ago?.
- Dave Dunham published the blogpost A Review of “Loss of Sadness” by Allan Horwitz and Jerome Wakefield.
- Patricia Hunter published the blogpost Labor Day::thankful for the gift of work and the labor of love....
- Lee Sah Lim published the blogpost Bangkok IV: Damnoen Saduak Floating Market And MBK Center.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Psalm 88 Sermon Follow Up: “Will Life Ever Get Better?”.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Are You Engaged With Teenagers Where They’re Growing Spiritually?.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 5 Roles Youth Workers Play In The Lives Of Teenagers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 6 Tips for Creating Structure and Boundaries in Ministry.
- Kelly Balarie published the blogpost Bible Verses for Perfectionists: Finding Your True Worth.
- solomon david published the blogpost 6 Must to Have Skills That Every Magento Store Developer Should Consider.
- solomon david published the blogpost Cloud Gaming Fun With Microsoft’s DeLorean Available Soon.
- solomon david published the blogpost 6 Amazing Paid iPhone Applications that Available for Free Right Now.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Tim Ferriss on the Importance of Being Unconventional.
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost Journey To The High Places: On The Shores of Loneliness (Week 7).
- Adam Smith published the blogpost Labor Day, Your Marriage, and Your Family – Jackie Bledsoe.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost How We Got Here: Live Alive Guest Post by Jordan Stroman.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 14 Practices Of Senior Pastors Who Grow Great Churches.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Are Getting Pickier About The Brands They Display On Their Clothes.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost Two Prayers That Will Inspire And Provoke The Soul.