He Is Already Pleased
We spend a lot of time trying to impress people. We use our intelligence, our influence, our possessions and even our looks. But what happens when we find ourselves trying to impress God?
I remember playing sports growing up. I always wanted to impress my dad on the basketball court or baseball field. I would constantly look into the stands to see if he was watching me. After a fantastic game, I was anxious to hear his approval. After a terrible game, I was ashamed and expected to see a shaking head of disappointment. In my mind, I felt that his acceptance was based on my performance.
But God shows us what kind of father he is in Mark 1:9-11:
“In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. And when he came up out of the water, immediately he saw the heavens being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, ‘You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.’”
The passage comes 30 years into Jesus’ life. He hadn’t done very much up to this point. His ministry hadn’t begun. He was merely a carpenter and a son of Joseph and Mary.
As He is baptized in the Jordan River, the voice of God and the Spirit come down and tell him two things:
- You are my beloved Son: This is important. God is speaking Jesus’ identity over Him. He is telling Him who He is. Before Jesus is commissioned to ministry, His Father affirms His identity as a son.
- With you I am well pleased: Jesus hadn’t done anything yet and here His Father is telling Him that He is well pleased. Before Jesus goes out, He knows He has pleased His father. He knows that He will not need to work for approval or have to worry about losing the approval of His father.
Before we try to do a single thing for God, we have to know that we are His sons and daughters and that He is well pleased with us.
Understanding these two truths will give us the ability to serve God in love. We will never feel the need to impress God. Because we already have His approval, rather than go out and do something for Him, we can live our lives with Him.
Originally posted on September 9, 2011
- Brad Andres published the blogpost Jesus as the Son of God and Disciples as Real People (Movie Review).
- Mike Kim published the blogpost #03: Three Crucial Things to Consider When Creating A Business Logo [Podcast].
- George BullardMarch 12th: Transform Congregations By Increasing Your Dependence on God #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/03/march-12th-transform-congregations-by-increasing-your-dependence-on-god-365ssiftc.html
- Eric Speir published the blogpost Steps Are For People And Leaps Are For Frogs (Here’s why!).
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost Featured Friend: Annetta Bosakova & FREE Printable!.
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Bridging the Generation Gap:: Embracing Mentorship.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost Done Is Better Than Perfect–Guest Post by Ken Cochrum.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost How the Gospel Makes Us Productive: My Interview on Faith Radio.
- Anita Palmer just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jenni Ingram just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 5 Lessons On Top Talent And Their Impact On Church Growth.
- Cathy Roberts just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Winners Announced from Terri Blackstock’s ‘Distortion’ Author Chat Party.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Winners Announced from Terri Blackstock’s ‘Distortion’ Author Chat Party.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Billy Coffey shares a gripping tale about the destructive nature of secrets and regret.
- Tyger Burch just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Church Membership Matters - Church Membership Matters.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Chosen - Part 5 - Why Evangelize if God Elects? - Chosen.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost The Key to Contentment - Part 1 - The Key To Contentment.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost The Key to Contentment - Part 2 - The Key To Contentment.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Jesus - ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Mission.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Church - ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Mission.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Preaching - ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Mission.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Healing - ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Mission.
- Clarence FellThe cross was not about improving your earthly life. Jesus was not trying to save you from earthly discomforts. In fact, He warned that following Him could make your earthly life worse, (Matt. 10:35-36). Jesus had something far greater than earthly life in view in His ministry. What do you think He was looking to?
- Darlene Cook uploaded a photo
- Reinaldo de Sousa just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Darlene Cook created a new gallery
- Darlene Cook just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Ellis just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jon StallingsMy sermon from Sunday Leaving Egypt | @ Life Church
When the Israelites left Egypt to head to the Promise Land they left their thoughts and hearts back in Egypt as slaves. No matter how much God blessed them they still longed to go back.
It would take Jesus Christ to be our Redeemer who would finally lead us out of the bondage to sin, our personal Egypt. The question is, do we really want to leave? http://buff.ly/1g2GaZe