He Is Already Pleased
We spend a lot of time trying to impress people. We use our intelligence, our influence, our possessions and even our looks. But what happens when we find ourselves trying to impress God?
I remember playing sports growing up. I always wanted to impress my dad on the basketball court or baseball field. I would constantly look into the stands to see if he was watching me. After a fantastic game, I was anxious to hear his approval. After a terrible game, I was ashamed and expected to see a shaking head of disappointment. In my mind, I felt that his acceptance was based on my performance.
But God shows us what kind of father he is in Mark 1:9-11:
“In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. And when he came up out of the water, immediately he saw the heavens being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, ‘You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.’”
The passage comes 30 years into Jesus’ life. He hadn’t done very much up to this point. His ministry hadn’t begun. He was merely a carpenter and a son of Joseph and Mary.
As He is baptized in the Jordan River, the voice of God and the Spirit come down and tell him two things:
- You are my beloved Son: This is important. God is speaking Jesus’ identity over Him. He is telling Him who He is. Before Jesus is commissioned to ministry, His Father affirms His identity as a son.
- With you I am well pleased: Jesus hadn’t done anything yet and here His Father is telling Him that He is well pleased. Before Jesus goes out, He knows He has pleased His father. He knows that He will not need to work for approval or have to worry about losing the approval of His father.
Before we try to do a single thing for God, we have to know that we are His sons and daughters and that He is well pleased with us.
Understanding these two truths will give us the ability to serve God in love. We will never feel the need to impress God. Because we already have His approval, rather than go out and do something for Him, we can live our lives with Him.
Originally posted on September 9, 2011
- Kelley Mathews published the article What Not To Do When You Are Living 'In the Meantime'.
- Kelley Mathews published the article Looking Back, Facing Forward: 20 Soundtracks Jars of Clay’s 20-Year Celebration.
- Kelley Mathews published the article Stuffed French Toast with Bourbon Glazed Pineapples.
- Kelley Mathews published the article Critical Heart Changes For Successful Reconciliation.
- Kimber Yeargan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Patsy Moore just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Trailer for "Plan 9 from Outer Space".
- Brad Russell uploaded a photo
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost For Singles Only: 9 things to do while still single.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Win a KitchenAid Mixer in Susan May Warren’s Hawaiian Chef Showdown!.
- Brad Russell published the article What Playing Guitar Taught Me about the Spiritual Life.
- Madyson Russell uploaded a photo
- Brad Russell published the article The Cross — The New (Old) Scorecard for Church Leadership.
- Jon Stallings"Foursquare Prioritizes Urban Evangelism" @WeAreFoursquare http://buff.ly/1rDJx2L
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor Line Camp sets participation record for 8th straight year.
- Jessie Williams just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book for July 25th: The Calling of Congregational Leadership: Being, Knowing, Doing Ministry http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/0827205317
- George BullardFree TCP eBook July 25th Only! People and Factors Killing Your Congregationhttp://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00BEV0QPS
- George BullardJuly 25th: Transform Congregations By Encouraging a Deep Spiritual and MIssional Journey #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/07/july-25th-transform-congregations-by-encouraging-a-deep-spiritual-and-missional-journey-365ssiftc.html
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 4 Of The Most Important Words For Making Disciples.
- Cheyenne Tomlison published the blogpost Why My Child is More Important Than My "Mothering".
- Jon Stallings“May I say to all I meet, I am journeying toward the Lord’s given place, come with me for your good.” – The Valley of Vision
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘Love Displayed’ by Justin Kintzel (Free download + Video).
- Ron Edmondson published the blogpost How Some of the Best Discoveries Are Made – In Life and Leadership.
- Cheyenne Tomlison just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost MP3 of SBC Panel Discussion on “Mental Illness & the Mission of the Church”.
- Anna Brown published the blogpost 5 Content Marketing Facts That Will Make You Feel Shocked.
- Wayne Stiles published the blogpost I’m Writing a New Book, and I’d Like Your Opinion [Survey].
- Mark McIntyre published the blogpost Christianity Boosts Education, Quality of Life in Asian Countries.
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Mentors, Millennials and Monthly Favorites in This Week’s Friday Faves.
- Barry Pearman published the blogpost Do You Have A Soul Believer? 3 Qualities To Look For.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost No Time for Social Media? Hire a Virtual Assistant – Reade Milner.
- George Krickl published the blogpost The Plow: Moving from Biblical Examples to Our Ministry Manifesto.
- Janet Ridgeway published the blogpost Get Clean With Cottonelle And Save With A High Value Coupon.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Jet City's 'Wise Guys' - Squeaky Clean Show with F-Bombs.