What Would God Think of My Resume?
I’ve been hiring people since taking my current job almost a year ago. Which means I look at lots of resumes. Hundreds probably.
Yesterday I was reading through one, circling things that stood out, and I realized how different my perception of the person probably was than their own. There was a list of accomplishments: dean’s list, research assistant, cum laude, published research paper, etc.
But I didn’t circle any of these.
Because they don’t matter to me. I circled things like what kind of equipment they had used, what kind of tests they can run, and which computer programs they are experienced with.
I always wonder what they’re thinking when they come in for an interview and I don’t ask one question about the things they think are most important. And then I tell them it’s OK if they don’t understand or know how to do some things, because I can teach them. I’m more interested in them as a person.
They must have a moment of realization where they see it’s not really about what they think it is. It’s really about finding out if they’re prepared for the work I need them to do.
But then I thought that’s what it must be like for God.
We all come to Him with our pious lists of accomplishments, whether consciously or not. We conduct our lives and prayers like an already anointed son or daughter of God. Maybe because we tithe, give to the poor, or go to church, and we feel rather good about those things.
What if I sent my resume to God?
I picture God sitting across from me.
I’m waiting on Him to ask about all the good things I’ve done.
All the volunteer hours, tithing, and working on my marriage, are on the tip of my tongue.
But when He speaks He asks if I’ve done these things because I believe. He’s not interested in my acts alone, though He is happy with them. He tells me of His grace and how it doesn’t matter what’s on my resume of faith. Those things aren’t salvation in and of themselves. He says it’s OK if I don’t understand it all, because He can teach me.
He just wants to know if I’m ready to do the work He set aside for me.
He’s interested in the why, not the what.
He is more interested in me as a person than my list of good deeds.
Because it’s our faith that will save us by His grace.
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9
What I can’t forget though, is that He doesn’t need me to fill the job. Don’t get me wrong, He longs for me to take the job I’ve been called into. But if I don’t, He won’t suffer. His Cause won’t stumble. His Glory will still be made known.
But I will suffer.
If I don’t fill the spot, someone else will. But I will lead a wandering, pointless life apart from God.
And that’s not somewhere I want to work.
Do you find yourself thinking too highly of your actions?
Grayson blogs at www.aparchedsoul.com.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Mother Confronts Young Daughter’s Alleged Bully With violence.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments with Sharron K. Cosby | Red Light Rendezvous.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments with Sharron K. Cosby | Red Light Rendezvous.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost The Simple Things in Life – Tiny House Living – Vincent Russell.
- Courtney Rowland published the blogpost Creamy Parmesan Leek and Mushroom Pasta #SundaySupper.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost “Real Women Leading” iPad Mini Giveaway and “Leading with Values” Facebook Party 3/20!.
- Kelly Pigott published the blogpost Ashes, Tattoos, the Sign of the Cross, and my Friend Connie.
- Walter Bright published the blogpost Be thou removed: Prayer of a man they called “Consecrated Cobbler.
- George Krickl published the blogpost Poor in Spirit: Paul and Barnabas Discipleship Continued.
- Jennifer Collins just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Doris SwiftOur greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter.” ― D.L. Moody
- Doris SwiftEmerge from ordinary into extraordinary; rise above, set apart, walking in the plan as He directs the steps...
- Doris SwiftIf you're feeling stuck in your writing journey~remember, every new idea-every word written propels you forward
- Jon StallingsIf we focus our prayers just on Jesus delivering us from the trials of life, we have set up our own life as an idol
- Melcome Feldspar just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Leon Bloder published the blogpost Shouldn't All Christians Be Universalists At Heart?.
- Jennifer Alayo-AguilarI am so excited to be here. This is something new that I have never tried before. I am glad to be alive to witness this, a blog post check-out site for Christians around the country, the world to connect with one another. The mini-neighborhood is pretty good. Say prayers for me, my husband, and the rest of our family as we get our lives back together and get on the right track with Jesus Christ. Amen.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Livestream Simply Youth Ministry Conference be a part of it!.
- George BullardMarch 8th: Transform Congregations By Radical Missional Engagement #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/03/march-8th-transform-congregations-by-radical-missional-engagement-365ssiftc.html
- Jennifer Alayo-Aguilar just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Greg Winfield published the blogpost The Blessing of Struggle – Do You Know What You’re Made of?.
- Stephanie L Burr just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 10 Reasons Why Youth Ministry Is A Strategic Career Choice.
- Evan Nehring published the blogpost Announcement: Life Sentence Publishing Partnership.
- Matthew Tan published the blogpost "Justice, Unity & the Hidden Christ": Review in Ethika Politika.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost The Top 10 Leadership Posts I Read The Week Of March 3rd.
- Nathan Wheeler published the blogpost Prayer, a beautiful mistake: Atheism For Lent Part 1.
- Allen O'Brien published the blogpost Mark Driscoll’s Publishing Tactics Trigger A Golden Age For Christian Publishing.
- Brad Russell published the article FaithVillage Expands Church Partnerships with 10 New Features.
- GREG WHITAKER just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost How To Supercharge Your Productivity With Evernote.
- Jotham David Parker published the video Truth (Christian Dance Hymn. Full Song with Lyrics).
- Myra Lee just moved in. Take time to say hey.