What Would God Think of My Resume?
I’ve been hiring people since taking my current job almost a year ago. Which means I look at lots of resumes. Hundreds probably.
Yesterday I was reading through one, circling things that stood out, and I realized how different my perception of the person probably was than their own. There was a list of accomplishments: dean’s list, research assistant, cum laude, published research paper, etc.
But I didn’t circle any of these.
Because they don’t matter to me. I circled things like what kind of equipment they had used, what kind of tests they can run, and which computer programs they are experienced with.
I always wonder what they’re thinking when they come in for an interview and I don’t ask one question about the things they think are most important. And then I tell them it’s OK if they don’t understand or know how to do some things, because I can teach them. I’m more interested in them as a person.
They must have a moment of realization where they see it’s not really about what they think it is. It’s really about finding out if they’re prepared for the work I need them to do.
But then I thought that’s what it must be like for God.
We all come to Him with our pious lists of accomplishments, whether consciously or not. We conduct our lives and prayers like an already anointed son or daughter of God. Maybe because we tithe, give to the poor, or go to church, and we feel rather good about those things.
What if I sent my resume to God?
I picture God sitting across from me.
I’m waiting on Him to ask about all the good things I’ve done.
All the volunteer hours, tithing, and working on my marriage, are on the tip of my tongue.
But when He speaks He asks if I’ve done these things because I believe. He’s not interested in my acts alone, though He is happy with them. He tells me of His grace and how it doesn’t matter what’s on my resume of faith. Those things aren’t salvation in and of themselves. He says it’s OK if I don’t understand it all, because He can teach me.
He just wants to know if I’m ready to do the work He set aside for me.
He’s interested in the why, not the what.
He is more interested in me as a person than my list of good deeds.
Because it’s our faith that will save us by His grace.
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9
What I can’t forget though, is that He doesn’t need me to fill the job. Don’t get me wrong, He longs for me to take the job I’ve been called into. But if I don’t, He won’t suffer. His Cause won’t stumble. His Glory will still be made known.
But I will suffer.
If I don’t fill the spot, someone else will. But I will lead a wandering, pointless life apart from God.
And that’s not somewhere I want to work.
Do you find yourself thinking too highly of your actions?
Grayson blogs at www.aparchedsoul.com.
- Barry Pearman published the blogpost Do You Have A Soul Believer? 3 Qualities To Look For.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost No Time for Social Media? Hire a Virtual Assistant – Reade Milner.
- George Krickl published the blogpost The Plow: Moving from Biblical Examples to Our Ministry Manifesto.
- Janet Ridgeway published the blogpost Get Clean With Cottonelle And Save With A High Value Coupon.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Jet City's 'Wise Guys' - Squeaky Clean Show with F-Bombs.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Emote Control - Part 8 - Depression - Emote Control.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Emote Control - Part 9 - Cultivating Godly Emotions(1) - Emote Control.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Emote Control - Part 10 - Cultivating Godly Emotions(2) - Emote Control.
- Brad Russell published the audio Social Media Mastery with Nils Smith | Pro Church Podcast.
- Brad Russell published the video No Man Is An Island | Tenth Avenue North [Music Video].
- Brad Russell published the video Promoting Charities on Social Media | Reggie Escalante.
- Brad Russell published the video The Difference Between 'Studying' and 'Reading' the Bible | Eugene Peterson.
- Brian Niece published the blogpost Street Theology Vol. 1 :: Lecrae “My Whole Life Changed”.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost The Essential Art of Saying "No" and How You Can Get Better At It.
- Kelley Mathews published the article How to Make Your Wedding Day the Best Day of Your Life.
- Mike Kim published the blogpost Free Webinar: How To Write An Effective Support Letter.
- Brad Russell published the article 'The Good of Politics' | James W. Skillen [Book Review].
- Brad Russell published the article 4 Questions to Ask When Creating A Church Social Media Position.
- Juan Galloway just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Kelley Mathews published the video Engaging with LGBT Persons | Dallas Theological Seminary.
- Kelley Mathews published the video Ministering to People Wrestling with Sexual Identity | Darrell Bock.
- John BeckThere are Christians and
there are “Born Again” Christians
Which one ARE YOU? - See more at: http://www.faithvillage.com/member/7v9I6eh0P77DKemwWCrxt4/newsfeed#sthash.DadySJXK.dpuf
- Kelley Mathews published the article "The Power of One-on-One" by Jim Stump [Book Review].
- Kelley Mathews published the audio Stones of Remembrance | The Journey with Ron Moore.