What Would God Think of My Resume?
I’ve been hiring people since taking my current job almost a year ago. Which means I look at lots of resumes. Hundreds probably.
Yesterday I was reading through one, circling things that stood out, and I realized how different my perception of the person probably was than their own. There was a list of accomplishments: dean’s list, research assistant, cum laude, published research paper, etc.
But I didn’t circle any of these.
Because they don’t matter to me. I circled things like what kind of equipment they had used, what kind of tests they can run, and which computer programs they are experienced with.
I always wonder what they’re thinking when they come in for an interview and I don’t ask one question about the things they think are most important. And then I tell them it’s OK if they don’t understand or know how to do some things, because I can teach them. I’m more interested in them as a person.
They must have a moment of realization where they see it’s not really about what they think it is. It’s really about finding out if they’re prepared for the work I need them to do.
But then I thought that’s what it must be like for God.
We all come to Him with our pious lists of accomplishments, whether consciously or not. We conduct our lives and prayers like an already anointed son or daughter of God. Maybe because we tithe, give to the poor, or go to church, and we feel rather good about those things.
What if I sent my resume to God?
I picture God sitting across from me.
I’m waiting on Him to ask about all the good things I’ve done.
All the volunteer hours, tithing, and working on my marriage, are on the tip of my tongue.
But when He speaks He asks if I’ve done these things because I believe. He’s not interested in my acts alone, though He is happy with them. He tells me of His grace and how it doesn’t matter what’s on my resume of faith. Those things aren’t salvation in and of themselves. He says it’s OK if I don’t understand it all, because He can teach me.
He just wants to know if I’m ready to do the work He set aside for me.
He’s interested in the why, not the what.
He is more interested in me as a person than my list of good deeds.
Because it’s our faith that will save us by His grace.
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9
What I can’t forget though, is that He doesn’t need me to fill the job. Don’t get me wrong, He longs for me to take the job I’ve been called into. But if I don’t, He won’t suffer. His Cause won’t stumble. His Glory will still be made known.
But I will suffer.
If I don’t fill the spot, someone else will. But I will lead a wandering, pointless life apart from God.
And that’s not somewhere I want to work.
Do you find yourself thinking too highly of your actions?
Grayson blogs at www.aparchedsoul.com.
- Lindsey Bell published the blogpost Miscarriages, Parenting, and How to Find Hope Through It All.
- Barry Sudduth just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Winners Announced from Rachel Hauck’s ‘Princess Ever After’ Author Chat Party.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Winners Announced from Rachel Hauck’s ‘Princess Ever After’ Author Chat Party.
- Juli Fischer just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Barbara Cameron talks about her latest release, A Road Unknown.
- Aaron Smith published the blogpost Your Love Never Fails (Anthony Skinner and Chris McClarney).
- Megan Westra published the blogpost Fluffy, Delicious, Protein Pancakes (gluten, dairy and refined sugar free).
- Blake AtwoodTalking to IBC!
- Kelley Mathews published the article Adoption: Giving A Family, Not Just Getting A Child.
- Blake Atwood published the video Keeping Your Identity and Faith in Christ | Barry Corey.
- Blake Atwood published the video Transformed: Transforming How I See & Use Money | Rick Warren.
- Jewish Voice published the blogpost Woliso Medical Mission: Serving Up Healing and Hope.
- Ryan Gregg published the video 'It's Your Life (Acoustic)' | Francesca Battistelli.
- Liz Edwards just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Blake Atwood uploaded a photo
- Kari Baumann published the blogpost what I have been reading (spring please come soon edition)..
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Get 5 or More Copies of What’s Best Next for 50% Off at WTS Books.
- Christine O'Shields created a new gallery
- chris FabrinHope Everyone Had A Great Ash Wednesday Have A Blessed Day..
- Christine O'Shields just moved in. Take time to say hey.