First Person: "My Heart is Too Big!"
“Oh, I could never foster. My heart is too big!”
As foster parents, we hear this statement all too often. What a slap in the face! Are foster parents’ hearts too small to feel the pain that fostering can bring? Not at all! In fact, it is quite the opposite.
God calls us to take action and love these children. Matthew 25:37 reads, “Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” We are to love them with our whole hearts, as He loves us.
These children walk into our homes already having experienced the world’s brutality. As we care for them and work on their healing, something even more miraculous happens. We find ourselves seeking God like never before and growing in Him. Foster parents have to be willing to abandon themselves to God and trust in Him to provide all they need and desire. They must be willing to hand their hearts up no matter the outcome.
We have just begun our foster care journey and I’m quickly learning that God is in control and I’m not. I must hand my heart back to Him on a daily basis while fighting the urge to take it back and stow it away in an indestructible box.
I have faith in an extraordinary God. Throughout my life He has shown me that He can bring beauty from ashes. I know that glorious outcomes and growth come through the difficult journeys.
God has called my family to nurture, love and protect these children. We must be willing to break our hearts to heal theirs.
Clay and Mikki Funderburk have been married for 14 years and live in Longview, Texas. They were blessed with three children both biologically and through adoption. They are new to Buckner and are enjoying their first two foster placements. They look forward to watching what God has in store for them through their foster care journey.
To learn more about how you can be a family to a foster child through Buckner Children and Family Services, visit www.beafamily.org.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Winners Announced from Rachel Hauck’s ‘Princess Ever After’ Author Chat Party.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Winners Announced from Rachel Hauck’s ‘Princess Ever After’ Author Chat Party.
- Juli Fischer just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Barbara Cameron talks about her latest release, A Road Unknown.
- Aaron Smith published the blogpost Your Love Never Fails (Anthony Skinner and Chris McClarney).
- Megan Westra published the blogpost Fluffy, Delicious, Protein Pancakes (gluten, dairy and refined sugar free).
- Blake AtwoodTalking to IBC!
- Kelley Mathews published the article Adoption: Giving A Family, Not Just Getting A Child.
- Blake Atwood published the video Keeping Your Identity and Faith in Christ | Barry Corey.
- Blake Atwood published the video Transformed: Transforming How I See & Use Money | Rick Warren.
- Jewish Voice published the blogpost Woliso Medical Mission: Serving Up Healing and Hope.
- Ryan Gregg published the video 'It's Your Life (Acoustic)' | Francesca Battistelli.
- Liz Edwards just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Blake Atwood uploaded a photo
- Kari Baumann published the blogpost what I have been reading (spring please come soon edition)..
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Get 5 or More Copies of What’s Best Next for 50% Off at WTS Books.
- Christine O'Shields created a new gallery
- chris FabrinHope Everyone Had A Great Ash Wednesday Have A Blessed Day..
- Christine O'Shields just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Kallie Ybarra just moved in. Take time to say hey.