5 Reasons Not To Disciple
1. It’s really hard.
Helping someone become a fully devoted follower of Christ is not for the faint of heart. There will be times of elated joy and times of extreme frustration. People’s lives are messy, and walking this journey with them gives you a backstage pass to the ugliness.
2. It takes a long time.
Most of us are not very patient, especially when it comes to other people. We want to see immediate results or we’re on to the next thing. Becoming a disciple of Christ is a long road that takes time and patience. There is a lot to cultivate and refine. We didn’t get this way overnight.
3. It requires relationship.
If Jesus was our example, then we are not meant to take this journey on our own. Disciples are not made in a classroom or on a pew. Iron sharpens iron. The only way to help someone become more like Christ is to be a part of their life, all of the good and all of the bad.
4. There’s not a finish line.
By nature, we want to see the job finished. My favorite part of mowing my lawn is when it’s finally done. I can spend a couple minutes admiring my mowing skills and then move on to the next conquest. That’s not the way it works with spiritual growth. We’re never finished until we’re standing in front of Jesus.
5. It causes growth.
What you may not realize is, when you decide to help disciple someone else, chances are, you are going to grow. Growth is difficult. Growth means change. Every time we take another spiritual step, it requires more from us. It would be much easier to stay right where we are, but the fact is, living things grow.
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Pinterest, Productivity and Playdates In This Week’s Friday Faves.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost The Key to Becoming a Better Writer: Read More – Reade Milner.
- daniel oghali created a new gallery
- daniel oghali just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost A Lifetime Impact: A Lesson in Integrity by Kim O’Brien.
- George Krickl published the blogpost Teleios: Four Things to Understand About Being Perfect.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 21 Leadership Quotes And Lessons From Guardians Of The Galaxy.
- Manuel Corzo just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeremy Morgan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘Danny Gokey Getaway Contest’ – all you need to know about it.
- Kelley Mathews published the article For Couples Getting Married: Don’t Save Yourself for your Wedding Night!.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 'Kidnapped for Christ' Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 'Tables in the Wilderness' | Preston Yancey [Excerpt].
- Robin Norgren published the blogpost Spark and Inspire: You have the Idea You just Need a Little Help.
- Jonathan Pearson published the blogpost Next Up Podcast: 3 Ways to Live & Lead in The Moment (Episode 6).
- Kelley Mathews published the article Measuring Progress in Eliminating Teen Entitlement.
- Linn Garcia just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Thom Turner published the blogpost 4 Concepts Back To The Future Teaches Us About Worship.
- John Bucher published the blogpost SAINT GLADYS? My LATEST POST on HBO’s WATCHINGTHELEFTOVERS.com.
- India Fredericks just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Michelle Burger just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brian Niece > Mission WritersMight be helpful to someone :: http://www.brianniece.com/2014/07/31/god-brokenness-archives/
- George Bullard published the blogpost Is the Church Too Busy Attending Meetings and Talking With Itself?.
- David Brown just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Dave Dunham published the blogpost Christian Reflections on Lust, Modesty, and Beauty (Part 4): Modesty Culture.