Chuck Colson Helped Me Get Published (And So Much More)
It was with great, great sadness that I learned Chuck Colson died this weekend. Some of you may know my connection to him (I’ve shared the story before), but in this sacred time of remembrance, I felt it important to share again.
I never met Chuck Colson.
Never shook his hand.
Never shared a meal.
But he had a profound impact on my writing life. Just by doing one simple, handwritten act.
On May 23, 2000,I heard Chuck deliver a Breakpoint entitled “Uncle Tom’s Cabin: The Power of Story.” Click the link to read it. I had been so stunned and struck by his words, that I ordered the transcript. One thing he said was “I know when it comes to learning moral lessons, I’ve often been much more affected by works of fiction than by abstract theological discourses.” He spoke of the story’s power to transform culture, something that resonated so deeply in me, I could physically feel the stirring in my chest. In that moment, I knew.
I would, God willing, write novels like that.
A little bit later, I wrote Chuck a letter, thanking him for a book he wrote. Also included was my desire to someday write those novels that changed the world, my words laced and soaked with hope, fear, anticipation. I wondered, even, if I should write such a bold thing to a stranger. A famous stranger. I hadn’t written a book yet. I’d published a few small articles, but that was about it. The dream, though burning, seemed unreachable.
Chuck Colson sent back a standard typed thank you. But scribbled on the bottom of the business letters were these words:
“Keep writing. God will honor your faithfulness.”
I kept that letter. Re-read those seven words over and over. Reminded myself that God would honor the hours, days, months, years I spent at the keyboard.
And eventually, I wrote and published those novels. Novels I hoped would change the world.
Fast forward to September 7, 2009. Imagine my complete surprise when a friend called me and said, “I heard about your book on Breakpoint today.”
I jumped over to Breakpoint, clicked on that day’s message entitled Daisy Chain: Protecting the Least of These from Abuse, and listened. And cried. And remembered those words, “Keep writing. God will honor your faithfulness.”
God had brought Chuck’s encouraging (and prophetic) words full circle. In the broadcast, he said, “I’m not a big fan of ‘message’ books where the writer neglects his or her craft and just concentrates on pushing an agenda. But Mary DeMuth is not that kind of writer. Her books are beautifully and sensitively written, and her characters are realistic and well developed. She has a true gift for showing go God’s light can penetrate even the darkest of situations, and start to turn lives around. Even her villains are not beyond the reach of God’s grace.”
I cried when I heard those words.
Cried because Chuck Colson (unknowingly) had bookended my writing journey, by offering a simple note of encouragement at just the right time, and praising the words I finally wept on the page.
I know there must be thousands of stories like this. And I know that was Chuck Colson’s heart: to deeply encourage folks with dreams for a better life. For people who hoped to change the world. He changed mine.
Thank you, Chuck. The words don’t seem enough today.
Mary DeMuth, author of The Muir House and many other books, is a contributor to FaithVillage. Follow her on Twitter@marydemuth.
- George BullardFree TCP eBook August 1st Only! Spiritual and Strategic Insights for Transforming Congregations Volume One http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00JJ17WZC
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when i am a popular blogger, or not [today at the high calling].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when we're moving back to waco [or, our lives are circles].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when i measure the distance of God [today at deeper story].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when there is no way but through, or, when there is room at this table.
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when this is the dinner party revolution: a guest post from ed cyzewski.
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when jesus asks, "and what about you?" [thoughts on the break, a look at our new home].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when we make vows long before they are ever spoken.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Have You Accepted President Obama As Your Personal Lord & Savior?.
- Melrose York just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor alums take ‘Fixer Upper’ skills to HGTV, ‘Today’ show.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 3 Common Traits of Youth Who Don’t Leave the Church.
- Mikel Del Rosario published the blogpost Apologetics Event Tip #1 – Build a Leadership Team.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW: Murder at Cold Creek College by Christa Nardi.
- Austin McCann published the blogpost Freebie: Resource to Disciple Students Who Come to Faith.
- George BullardAugust 1st Transform Congregations By Walking the Second Mile #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/08/august-1st-transform-congregations-by-walking-the-second-mile-365ssiftc.html
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Codependency, Chronic Pain, & Prescription Drug Abuse.
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Pinterest, Productivity and Playdates In This Week’s Friday Faves.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost The Key to Becoming a Better Writer: Read More – Reade Milner.
- daniel oghali created a new gallery
- daniel oghali just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost A Lifetime Impact: A Lesson in Integrity by Kim O’Brien.
- George Krickl published the blogpost Teleios: Four Things to Understand About Being Perfect.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 21 Leadership Quotes And Lessons From Guardians Of The Galaxy.
- Manuel Corzo just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeremy Morgan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘Danny Gokey Getaway Contest’ – all you need to know about it.
- Kelley Mathews published the article For Couples Getting Married: Don’t Save Yourself for your Wedding Night!.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 'Kidnapped for Christ' Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 'Tables in the Wilderness' | Preston Yancey [Excerpt].
- Robin Norgren published the blogpost Spark and Inspire: You have the Idea You just Need a Little Help.
- Jonathan Pearson published the blogpost Next Up Podcast: 3 Ways to Live & Lead in The Moment (Episode 6).