Chuck Colson Helped Me Get Published (And So Much More)
It was with great, great sadness that I learned Chuck Colson died this weekend. Some of you may know my connection to him (I’ve shared the story before), but in this sacred time of remembrance, I felt it important to share again.
I never met Chuck Colson.
Never shook his hand.
Never shared a meal.
But he had a profound impact on my writing life. Just by doing one simple, handwritten act.
On May 23, 2000,I heard Chuck deliver a Breakpoint entitled “Uncle Tom’s Cabin: The Power of Story.” Click the link to read it. I had been so stunned and struck by his words, that I ordered the transcript. One thing he said was “I know when it comes to learning moral lessons, I’ve often been much more affected by works of fiction than by abstract theological discourses.” He spoke of the story’s power to transform culture, something that resonated so deeply in me, I could physically feel the stirring in my chest. In that moment, I knew.
I would, God willing, write novels like that.
A little bit later, I wrote Chuck a letter, thanking him for a book he wrote. Also included was my desire to someday write those novels that changed the world, my words laced and soaked with hope, fear, anticipation. I wondered, even, if I should write such a bold thing to a stranger. A famous stranger. I hadn’t written a book yet. I’d published a few small articles, but that was about it. The dream, though burning, seemed unreachable.
Chuck Colson sent back a standard typed thank you. But scribbled on the bottom of the business letters were these words:
“Keep writing. God will honor your faithfulness.”
I kept that letter. Re-read those seven words over and over. Reminded myself that God would honor the hours, days, months, years I spent at the keyboard.
And eventually, I wrote and published those novels. Novels I hoped would change the world.
Fast forward to September 7, 2009. Imagine my complete surprise when a friend called me and said, “I heard about your book on Breakpoint today.”
I jumped over to Breakpoint, clicked on that day’s message entitled Daisy Chain: Protecting the Least of These from Abuse, and listened. And cried. And remembered those words, “Keep writing. God will honor your faithfulness.”
God had brought Chuck’s encouraging (and prophetic) words full circle. In the broadcast, he said, “I’m not a big fan of ‘message’ books where the writer neglects his or her craft and just concentrates on pushing an agenda. But Mary DeMuth is not that kind of writer. Her books are beautifully and sensitively written, and her characters are realistic and well developed. She has a true gift for showing go God’s light can penetrate even the darkest of situations, and start to turn lives around. Even her villains are not beyond the reach of God’s grace.”
I cried when I heard those words.
Cried because Chuck Colson (unknowingly) had bookended my writing journey, by offering a simple note of encouragement at just the right time, and praising the words I finally wept on the page.
I know there must be thousands of stories like this. And I know that was Chuck Colson’s heart: to deeply encourage folks with dreams for a better life. For people who hoped to change the world. He changed mine.
Thank you, Chuck. The words don’t seem enough today.
Mary DeMuth, author of The Muir House and many other books, is a contributor to FaithVillage. Follow her on Twitter@marydemuth.
- Jarrod Flaming just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Mobley published the blogpost The Five, New Believers, and 1 Peter 1:13-16 This Week.
- JackIe Little just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Filled by the Exquisite Spirit Of Our Triune God by Debbie Harris.
- Wendy Terry just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Where Treetops Glisten by Tricia Goyer, Cara Putman, and Sarah Sundin.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Where Treetops Glisten by Tricia Goyer, Cara Putman, and Sarah Sundin.
- Claire Florine published the blogpost “I Feel You Girl”: Sexual Assault in Chicago, and Diana the Hunter of Bus Drivers.
- John Rutledge published the article Evangelical Group Wants Election-Year Conversation About Marriage Equality.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor profs honored for excellence in teaching and mentoring.
- Julie Pierce published the blogpost 4 Ways to Say No to Multitasking and Yes to Productivity.
- Brad Russell published the article 4 Ways to Say 'No' to Multitasking and 'Yes' to Productivity.
- Lori Minutoli published the blogpost The Defining Moment Between Attraction and Sexual Sin for the Christian.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost “Guide For Parents During The First 6 Weeks Of College”.
- Laurie Geisz published the blogpost “Good Morning, God” ~ When Your Baby’s Having Surgery.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Guest Blog: Welcome to the Passive Aggressive Church.
- Wayne Stiles published the blogpost Quote by Dustin Shramek on God’s sovereignty and our suffering. [Quote].
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW: Stevenson's Treasure by Mark Wiederanders.
- Don Sartain published the blogpost Reflections on the Old Testament, Changes, and the Middle East.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teenagers Who Smoke Marijuana Daily Are Over 60% Less Likely To Complete High School.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 5 Crazy Ways Social Media Is Changing Your Brain Right Now.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Social Media Tracked Trends: Facebook Isn’t Dead Among Teens.
- solomon david published the blogpost 15 Best Practices of PHP Development for Beginners.
- Mary DeMuth published the blogpost 25 – 4 Truths that’ll Change the Way You View Evangelism.
- Lara Krupicka published the blogpost Kindle Giveaway & the new Bucket List Living For Moms book.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost How You Can Be the Hero in Your Marriage – Jackie Bledsoe.
- Linda Kardamis published the blogpost Why Always Putting Others First is A Horrible Idea.
- Jonathan Pearson published the blogpost Next Up Podcast: How to Keep From Burning Out Way Too Soon (Episode 9).
- solomon david published the blogpost How to Convert WordPress HTTP Website to HTTPS/SSL?.
- solomon david published the blogpost The Best of the Week Android, iPhone, iPad, and Windows Phone Apps for Users.
- Lindsey Bell published the blogpost Become a Better Mom – Week 3 Challenge: Read to Your Kids Daily.