3 Ways To Be Happy Right Now
I’ve been floundering lately, feeling a bit lost and tired. I just returned from the Festival of Faith and Writing, have a week off, then will attend the Scorre Conference next week. In the midst of transition, in between projects, and living a bit on fumes, I’m hardly one to share three ways to be happy.
But I want to. I need to.
Because I need to live this way right now. In the moment. And so do you.
How can you be genuinely happy right now? What does it take to turn that frown upside down? Three ways (and when I’m done with this post, I’ll go ahead and practice them.)
- Seek out someone to pray for. When we’re in a funk, we tend to forget that others in the world struggle and have pain. Ask today that God would show you one person to intercede for. Then pray. In person if possible, but if not, try praying via text, Facebook, tweet, email. Or call and pray over the phone. Focusing on someone else’s need, connecting with God, and finding space to do that will give you surprising happiness. An excellent, inspiring book about this is Praying for Strangers by River Jordan.
- Go outside. When I’m getting particularly self absorbed, tired, or cranky, a walk or run outside changes everything. In fact, I’m pretty sure that today I’m in the doldrums because I didn’t take my morning run. (Oh to be more disciplined! Oh to be like Mike Hyatt! Oh to remember the joys of fresh air and activity!)
- Decide right now that God is enough. No, that do-hickey won’t complete you. That job you think you must have to be happy? It won’t ultimately fill you up. A molten chocolate cake? Not as satisfying as you may think (though it comes close!). The perfect marriage? Doesn’t exist. The body you had at 18? Even if you did look like that (which would be weird, probably), how would that satiate you? Remember, anything that you use to fill yourself up other than God will not work. It won’t. Settle that. God is enough. Even if everything were taken from you, He’d still be everything you need. (I wrote a book about that!)
Here’s a worship song that reflects #3. Spend the short time it takes to let the words seep into you. And find true, lasting happiness in the God who loves the whole world, made the whole world, and fills your whole heart.
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia Carter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May Jesus Christ Be The Ultimate Treasure We Always Seek by Debbie Harris..
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Father Who Can We Graciously And Humbly Walk Beside Today Just To Love by Debbie Harris.
- Bryce Johnson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 13 Resources For Ministry Leaders Who Struggle with Porn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Expert Reveals Biggest Concern About Youngsters And Social Media.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Half (54%) Of US Teens Think Life Would Be Better Without Social Media.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Roy Lichtenstein's Most Popular Painting is Displayed.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost After Confronting Campus Bully, HS Football Player Gets Suspended.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Conservative Student Is Victim Of ‘Racist Rape Apologist’ Attack Fliers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Yik Yak app Putting Teens Behind Bars, Police Warn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Hearing That Things Can Change Helps Teens Dodge Depression.
- Andrew Shivers just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost GIVEAWAY: Win a Framed “The Fault in Our Stars” FULL SIZE Movie Poster [Winner Chosen].
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘Boxtrolls:’ Incredible Animation, Charmless Story.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Dad Lip-Syncs Daughter's Tantrum.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost SOTW: ‘Chasing After The Wind’ by Alan Powell (Free Friday Download).
- Matt Perman published the blogpost The Drive Video: If You Want Engagement, Self-Direction is Better.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW/INTERVIEW: The Unexpected Earl by Philippa Jane Keyworth.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 55: Gary Black Jr. – Co-author of The Divine Conspiracy Continued.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ‘Believe Me': Alum’s thought-provoking film now in theaters.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost Stress Kills!!! Here's 3 Ways To Do Something About It.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost How The New Fall TV Season Reminds Me Of The Gospel.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Suffering Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Personal Responsibility Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost 20 Approaches to Battling Depression-Anxiety as Suffering.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Hellion’ is A Wild, Family-Driven Ride Worth Taking.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2′ is Cool, Uncommitted.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost “Kidnapped for Christ” Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Talking about cancer on WFAA’s ‘Two Chairs’ series.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Get Excited: New ‘Believe Me’ Trailer Validates Everything We Thought.
- solomon david published the blogpost Micromax Canvas Nitro Launched for Rs 12,990 in India.
- solomon david published the blogpost 20 Mobile (iOS, Android) App & Web Prototyping Tools – Part2.