3 Ways To Be Happy Right Now
I’ve been floundering lately, feeling a bit lost and tired. I just returned from the Festival of Faith and Writing, have a week off, then will attend the Scorre Conference next week. In the midst of transition, in between projects, and living a bit on fumes, I’m hardly one to share three ways to be happy.
But I want to. I need to.
Because I need to live this way right now. In the moment. And so do you.
How can you be genuinely happy right now? What does it take to turn that frown upside down? Three ways (and when I’m done with this post, I’ll go ahead and practice them.)
- Seek out someone to pray for. When we’re in a funk, we tend to forget that others in the world struggle and have pain. Ask today that God would show you one person to intercede for. Then pray. In person if possible, but if not, try praying via text, Facebook, tweet, email. Or call and pray over the phone. Focusing on someone else’s need, connecting with God, and finding space to do that will give you surprising happiness. An excellent, inspiring book about this is Praying for Strangers by River Jordan.
- Go outside. When I’m getting particularly self absorbed, tired, or cranky, a walk or run outside changes everything. In fact, I’m pretty sure that today I’m in the doldrums because I didn’t take my morning run. (Oh to be more disciplined! Oh to be like Mike Hyatt! Oh to remember the joys of fresh air and activity!)
- Decide right now that God is enough. No, that do-hickey won’t complete you. That job you think you must have to be happy? It won’t ultimately fill you up. A molten chocolate cake? Not as satisfying as you may think (though it comes close!). The perfect marriage? Doesn’t exist. The body you had at 18? Even if you did look like that (which would be weird, probably), how would that satiate you? Remember, anything that you use to fill yourself up other than God will not work. It won’t. Settle that. God is enough. Even if everything were taken from you, He’d still be everything you need. (I wrote a book about that!)
Here’s a worship song that reflects #3. Spend the short time it takes to let the words seep into you. And find true, lasting happiness in the God who loves the whole world, made the whole world, and fills your whole heart.
- Kelley Mathews published the article What Not To Do When You Are Living 'In the Meantime'.
- Kelley Mathews published the article Looking Back, Facing Forward: 20 Soundtracks Jars of Clay’s 20-Year Celebration.
- Kelley Mathews published the article Stuffed French Toast with Bourbon Glazed Pineapples.
- Kelley Mathews published the article Critical Heart Changes For Successful Reconciliation.
- Kimber Yeargan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Patsy Moore just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Trailer for "Plan 9 from Outer Space".
- Brad Russell uploaded a photo
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost For Singles Only: 9 things to do while still single.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Win a KitchenAid Mixer in Susan May Warren’s Hawaiian Chef Showdown!.
- Brad Russell published the article What Playing Guitar Taught Me about the Spiritual Life.
- Madyson Russell uploaded a photo
- Brad Russell published the article The Cross — The New (Old) Scorecard for Church Leadership.
- Jon Stallings"Foursquare Prioritizes Urban Evangelism" @WeAreFoursquare http://buff.ly/1rDJx2L
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor Line Camp sets participation record for 8th straight year.
- Jessie Williams just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book for July 25th: The Calling of Congregational Leadership: Being, Knowing, Doing Ministry http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/0827205317
- George BullardFree TCP eBook July 25th Only! People and Factors Killing Your Congregationhttp://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00BEV0QPS
- George BullardJuly 25th: Transform Congregations By Encouraging a Deep Spiritual and MIssional Journey #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/07/july-25th-transform-congregations-by-encouraging-a-deep-spiritual-and-missional-journey-365ssiftc.html
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 4 Of The Most Important Words For Making Disciples.
- Cheyenne Tomlison published the blogpost Why My Child is More Important Than My "Mothering".
- Jon Stallings“May I say to all I meet, I am journeying toward the Lord’s given place, come with me for your good.” – The Valley of Vision
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘Love Displayed’ by Justin Kintzel (Free download + Video).
- Ron Edmondson published the blogpost How Some of the Best Discoveries Are Made – In Life and Leadership.
- Cheyenne Tomlison just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost MP3 of SBC Panel Discussion on “Mental Illness & the Mission of the Church”.
- Anna Brown published the blogpost 5 Content Marketing Facts That Will Make You Feel Shocked.
- Wayne Stiles published the blogpost I’m Writing a New Book, and I’d Like Your Opinion [Survey].
- Mark McIntyre published the blogpost Christianity Boosts Education, Quality of Life in Asian Countries.
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Mentors, Millennials and Monthly Favorites in This Week’s Friday Faves.
- Barry Pearman published the blogpost Do You Have A Soul Believer? 3 Qualities To Look For.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost No Time for Social Media? Hire a Virtual Assistant – Reade Milner.
- George Krickl published the blogpost The Plow: Moving from Biblical Examples to Our Ministry Manifesto.
- Janet Ridgeway published the blogpost Get Clean With Cottonelle And Save With A High Value Coupon.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Jet City's 'Wise Guys' - Squeaky Clean Show with F-Bombs.