First Graders’ Thoughts on Volunteering with Shoes for Orphan Souls
The five first grade classes at Mockingbird Elementary School in Coppell, Texas, held a school-wide shoe drive at the end of 2011 as a project-based learning experience. They made public service announcements at school, created posters to advertise, and counted, sorted and graphed the 168 pairs of shoes and 402 pairs of socks they collected.
When their drive ended, all five classes took a field trip to the Shoes for Orphan Souls warehouse to see where their shoes would go and to learn how to process shoes for shipment. They learned a lot and had plenty to say about their experience:
What was the most interesting thing you learned when you volunteered at the warehouse?
“The most interesting thing I learned was how many people in our world need shoes. The warehouse was so big and there were LOTS of shoes!” Asher Johnson, Mrs. Taylor’s class
“That so many kids and grownups don’t have clothes.” Dalai Biju, Mrs. Sumrall’s class
“Some people don’t have enough money to get all the things they need.” Rakshaa Potaraju, Mrs. Sumrall’s class
Why is it important for kids to wear shoes?
“It is important for kids to wear shoes because when you don’t have shoes your feet will get hurt. When kids have shoes they can go to school and have hope for their future!” Akshita Yadavalli, Mrs. Taylor’s class
“So they can go to school and learn.” Julia Balazy, Mrs. Sumrall’s class
“So they don’t get blisters.” Jordan Ashby, Mrs. Sumrall’s class
“When kids don’t wear shoes their feet could burn. Their feet will get hurt like a bad cut. That happens because they don’t have any shoes on.” Lillian Tran, Mrs. Taylor’s class
“So they don’t get sick or glass in their feet.” Andrew Schultz, Mrs. Sumrall’s class
How will the kids feel when they get their new shoes?
“They’ll get really, really happy.” Carter Kincaid, Mrs. Sumrall’s class
“They will feel loved.” Luis Badillo, Mrs. Sumrall’s class
“I think kids will feel excited when they get their shoes!” Jia Rosenbaum, Mrs. Taylor’s class
“When the kids get their shoes they will jump up and down and say ‘YEA!’” Brandon Wenzel Mrs. Taylor’s class.
What can kids do when they have their new shoes that they couldn’t do before?
“Go to school.” Rolen Glover, Mrs. Sumrall’s class
“They can play without their feet getting hurt.” Lauren Castle, Mrs. Sumrall’s class
“When kids have shoes on, they can go on bumpy roads, run, walk on sticky places, step on wood chip and not get hurt!” Trinity Hunt, Mrs. Taylor’s class
What did you like most about being a volunteer?
“Putting the rubber bands around the shoes.” Josephine Liew, Mrs. Sumrall’s class
“We got to write notes and put them in the shoes.” Rakshaa Potaraju, Mrs. Sumrall’s class
“I wrote a note to put in the shoes. My note said ‘I hope you like your shoes!’” Shreenaya Prabu Mrs. Taylor’s class
“The best part about working at the warehouse was wrapping up the shoes in a rubber band—I still remember how to do it!!” Alexander Chaar Mrs. Taylor’s class
Thank you to Mrs. Sumrall’s class, Mrs. Taylor’s class, Mrs. Javier’s class, Mrs. Thorn’s class and Mrs. Johnson’s class for helping bring hope to orphans and vulnerable children around the world!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia Carter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May Jesus Christ Be The Ultimate Treasure We Always Seek by Debbie Harris..
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Father Who Can We Graciously And Humbly Walk Beside Today Just To Love by Debbie Harris.
- Bryce Johnson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 13 Resources For Ministry Leaders Who Struggle with Porn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Expert Reveals Biggest Concern About Youngsters And Social Media.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Half (54%) Of US Teens Think Life Would Be Better Without Social Media.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Roy Lichtenstein's Most Popular Painting is Displayed.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost After Confronting Campus Bully, HS Football Player Gets Suspended.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Conservative Student Is Victim Of ‘Racist Rape Apologist’ Attack Fliers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Yik Yak app Putting Teens Behind Bars, Police Warn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Hearing That Things Can Change Helps Teens Dodge Depression.
- Andrew Shivers just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost GIVEAWAY: Win a Framed “The Fault in Our Stars” FULL SIZE Movie Poster [Winner Chosen].
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘Boxtrolls:’ Incredible Animation, Charmless Story.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Dad Lip-Syncs Daughter's Tantrum.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost SOTW: ‘Chasing After The Wind’ by Alan Powell (Free Friday Download).
- Matt Perman published the blogpost The Drive Video: If You Want Engagement, Self-Direction is Better.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW/INTERVIEW: The Unexpected Earl by Philippa Jane Keyworth.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 55: Gary Black Jr. – Co-author of The Divine Conspiracy Continued.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ‘Believe Me': Alum’s thought-provoking film now in theaters.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost Stress Kills!!! Here's 3 Ways To Do Something About It.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost How The New Fall TV Season Reminds Me Of The Gospel.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Suffering Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Personal Responsibility Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost 20 Approaches to Battling Depression-Anxiety as Suffering.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Hellion’ is A Wild, Family-Driven Ride Worth Taking.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2′ is Cool, Uncommitted.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost “Kidnapped for Christ” Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Talking about cancer on WFAA’s ‘Two Chairs’ series.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Get Excited: New ‘Believe Me’ Trailer Validates Everything We Thought.
- solomon david published the blogpost Micromax Canvas Nitro Launched for Rs 12,990 in India.
- solomon david published the blogpost 20 Mobile (iOS, Android) App & Web Prototyping Tools – Part2.