First Graders’ Thoughts on Volunteering with Shoes for Orphan Souls
The five first grade classes at Mockingbird Elementary School in Coppell, Texas, held a school-wide shoe drive at the end of 2011 as a project-based learning experience. They made public service announcements at school, created posters to advertise, and counted, sorted and graphed the 168 pairs of shoes and 402 pairs of socks they collected.
When their drive ended, all five classes took a field trip to the Shoes for Orphan Souls warehouse to see where their shoes would go and to learn how to process shoes for shipment. They learned a lot and had plenty to say about their experience:
What was the most interesting thing you learned when you volunteered at the warehouse?
“The most interesting thing I learned was how many people in our world need shoes. The warehouse was so big and there were LOTS of shoes!” Asher Johnson, Mrs. Taylor’s class
“That so many kids and grownups don’t have clothes.” Dalai Biju, Mrs. Sumrall’s class
“Some people don’t have enough money to get all the things they need.” Rakshaa Potaraju, Mrs. Sumrall’s class
Why is it important for kids to wear shoes?
“It is important for kids to wear shoes because when you don’t have shoes your feet will get hurt. When kids have shoes they can go to school and have hope for their future!” Akshita Yadavalli, Mrs. Taylor’s class
“So they can go to school and learn.” Julia Balazy, Mrs. Sumrall’s class
“So they don’t get blisters.” Jordan Ashby, Mrs. Sumrall’s class
“When kids don’t wear shoes their feet could burn. Their feet will get hurt like a bad cut. That happens because they don’t have any shoes on.” Lillian Tran, Mrs. Taylor’s class
“So they don’t get sick or glass in their feet.” Andrew Schultz, Mrs. Sumrall’s class
How will the kids feel when they get their new shoes?
“They’ll get really, really happy.” Carter Kincaid, Mrs. Sumrall’s class
“They will feel loved.” Luis Badillo, Mrs. Sumrall’s class
“I think kids will feel excited when they get their shoes!” Jia Rosenbaum, Mrs. Taylor’s class
“When the kids get their shoes they will jump up and down and say ‘YEA!’” Brandon Wenzel Mrs. Taylor’s class.
What can kids do when they have their new shoes that they couldn’t do before?
“Go to school.” Rolen Glover, Mrs. Sumrall’s class
“They can play without their feet getting hurt.” Lauren Castle, Mrs. Sumrall’s class
“When kids have shoes on, they can go on bumpy roads, run, walk on sticky places, step on wood chip and not get hurt!” Trinity Hunt, Mrs. Taylor’s class
What did you like most about being a volunteer?
“Putting the rubber bands around the shoes.” Josephine Liew, Mrs. Sumrall’s class
“We got to write notes and put them in the shoes.” Rakshaa Potaraju, Mrs. Sumrall’s class
“I wrote a note to put in the shoes. My note said ‘I hope you like your shoes!’” Shreenaya Prabu Mrs. Taylor’s class
“The best part about working at the warehouse was wrapping up the shoes in a rubber band—I still remember how to do it!!” Alexander Chaar Mrs. Taylor’s class
Thank you to Mrs. Sumrall’s class, Mrs. Taylor’s class, Mrs. Javier’s class, Mrs. Thorn’s class and Mrs. Johnson’s class for helping bring hope to orphans and vulnerable children around the world!
- George Krickl published the blogpost The Plow: Moving from Biblical Examples to Our Ministry Manifesto.
- Janet Ridgeway published the blogpost Get Clean With Cottonelle And Save With A High Value Coupon.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Jet City's 'Wise Guys' - Squeaky Clean Show with F-Bombs.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Emote Control - Part 8 - Depression - Emote Control.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Emote Control - Part 9 - Cultivating Godly Emotions(1) - Emote Control.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Emote Control - Part 10 - Cultivating Godly Emotions(2) - Emote Control.
- Brad Russell published the audio Social Media Mastery with Nils Smith | Pro Church Podcast.
- Brad Russell published the video No Man Is An Island | Tenth Avenue North [Music Video].
- Brad Russell published the video Promoting Charities on Social Media | Reggie Escalante.
- Brad Russell published the video The Difference Between 'Studying' and 'Reading' the Bible | Eugene Peterson.
- Brian Niece published the blogpost Street Theology Vol. 1 :: Lecrae “My Whole Life Changed”.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost The Essential Art of Saying "No" and How You Can Get Better At It.
- Kelley Mathews published the article How to Make Your Wedding Day the Best Day of Your Life.
- Mike Kim published the blogpost Free Webinar: How To Write An Effective Support Letter.
- Brad Russell published the article 'The Good of Politics' | James W. Skillen [Book Review].
- Brad Russell published the article 4 Questions to Ask When Creating A Church Social Media Position.
- Juan Galloway just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Kelley Mathews published the video Engaging with LGBT Persons | Dallas Theological Seminary.
- Kelley Mathews published the video Ministering to People Wrestling with Sexual Identity | Darrell Bock.
- John BeckThere are Christians and
there are “Born Again” Christians
Which one ARE YOU? - See more at: http://www.faithvillage.com/member/7v9I6eh0P77DKemwWCrxt4/newsfeed#sthash.DadySJXK.dpuf
- Kelley Mathews published the article "The Power of One-on-One" by Jim Stump [Book Review].
- Kelley Mathews published the audio Stones of Remembrance | The Journey with Ron Moore.
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book For July 24th: Staying Alive: Why the Conventional Wisdom about Traditional Churches Is Wrong http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/1603500251
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Bears sweep Big 12 Athlete of the Year honors for 2nd time in 3 years.
- Jefferson Castro published the blogpost Cristãos no Iraque tem casas marcadas por terroristas.