At least in the circles I’ve been around, the term “reconciling” in regards to churches and congregations seemingly refers to a church who wants to be openly welcoming gays and reconciling the faith community with the gay community.
While important, I feel that’s too narrow of a vision. We shouldn’t limit the term “reconciling congregation” to refer to a church reconciling with just the gay community but a “Reconciling Church” should work for reconciliation with the Community. Unfortunately, gay people are not the only ones who have been mistreated by the Church. There is a long line of people that we, the church, need to seek forgiveness from.
John Perkins wrote, “The only purpose of the gospel is to reconcile people to God and to each other.”
And today is a reminder of the ultimate act of compassion and reconciliation.
Without the pain Christ suffered on behalf of the sins of humanity, there would still be a chasm between human and God.
Through Christ’s sacrifice, we were reconciled with God.
And as Christ followers, we should be in the business of reconciling people, as Perkins said, to God and to one another.
That takes sacrifice. And compassion. Things that Christ was no stranger to.
We need the compassion that Christ had–compassion that stands in awe of what [the poor, the gays, the broken, the widows, the orphans, the undocumented, the liberals, the fundamentalists, the _______] have to carry rather than standing in judgment of how they carry it. (Greg Boyle)
Compassion and sacrifice were on display as Christ reconciled us with God.
That same Compassion and sacrifice are needed for us to take the first step in being a reconciling Church with the Community.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Meet Worship leader Bridgett Kern, listen to new single.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 7 Habits Of An Unhealthy Culture vs. 7 Habits Of A Healthy Culture.
- Edgar Galdamez published the blogpost The Life of a Pastor: Service, Stress, Solitude, Sacrifice.
- George Bullard published the blogpost Are Millennials Different than Baby Boomers 40 Years Ago?.
- Dave Dunham published the blogpost A Review of “Loss of Sadness” by Allan Horwitz and Jerome Wakefield.
- Patricia Hunter published the blogpost Labor Day::thankful for the gift of work and the labor of love....
- Lee Sah Lim published the blogpost Bangkok IV: Damnoen Saduak Floating Market And MBK Center.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Psalm 88 Sermon Follow Up: “Will Life Ever Get Better?”.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Are You Engaged With Teenagers Where They’re Growing Spiritually?.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 5 Roles Youth Workers Play In The Lives Of Teenagers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 6 Tips for Creating Structure and Boundaries in Ministry.
- Kelly Balarie published the blogpost Bible Verses for Perfectionists: Finding Your True Worth.
- solomon david published the blogpost 6 Must to Have Skills That Every Magento Store Developer Should Consider.
- solomon david published the blogpost Cloud Gaming Fun With Microsoft’s DeLorean Available Soon.
- solomon david published the blogpost 6 Amazing Paid iPhone Applications that Available for Free Right Now.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Tim Ferriss on the Importance of Being Unconventional.
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost Journey To The High Places: On The Shores of Loneliness (Week 7).
- Adam Smith published the blogpost Labor Day, Your Marriage, and Your Family – Jackie Bledsoe.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost How We Got Here: Live Alive Guest Post by Jordan Stroman.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 14 Practices Of Senior Pastors Who Grow Great Churches.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Are Getting Pickier About The Brands They Display On Their Clothes.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost Two Prayers That Will Inspire And Provoke The Soul.
- Martin KnoxGood bye, Faith Village. Thank you, Brad Russell, for what you have contributed to the work of the Kingdom.
- Greg Flagg published the blogpost Prayer for the Twelfth Sunday after Pentecost (Ordinary Time).
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Florida City Makes It Illegal to Wear Your Pants Too Low.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost MTV Bloodstained Hypocrisy of Hollywood’s Violence Profiteers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Marine Just Issued An Epic Challenge To The Black Community And The Ferguson Rioters.