Wrestling With an Angel
Nothing is as sobering as seeing your sin and weakness and then marveling at the consuming beauty of grace. God has used a book over the past few weeks to do both in my life. I have had to put it down several times because the pain was too great and the worship so strong. Wrestling With an Angel is about a father’s experience with his special needs son and God. The subtitle of the book tells it all: A story of love, disability, and the lessons of grace.
It surprised me that it hit so hard. The chapters are short but the connection to what it means to be a fallen parent regardless of the child God has entrusted you to raise is sharp. I strongly recommend this for all parents. It will help you see your journey in a whole new light. Parenting is never for the faint of heart and some hearts grow through unimaginable pain. Here is an extended excerpt to provide a taste.
The alarm goes off inside my head usually a few moments before the clock on my nightstand sets in motion the events of the morning. It is amazing how the mind and body can sync to a schooled stimulus response, almost to the minute, each and every day.
It’s 5:58 a.m. and I have two minutes before my morning routine begins.
I watch the clock and wait for the alarm. It’s not a desire for more sleep that holds me in place. Nor is it the comfort of my blanket on this crisp, cold, dark morning. I take refuge in my bed for these few peaceful moments to think about my life.
I reflect on my weakness and inability to meet the demands that have been placed on me through the circumstances of my journey. I wonder why God’s plan for my life includes so much frustration and hurt. Then I question why God even has a plan for me at all as I contemplate my sin, self- centeredness, pride, and constant sense of failure.
Suffering seems to be the tool He uses to draw me close. But the very affliction of my soul and the anxious weariness of my heart, things that should force me to run to the light, often drive me furiously into the darkness.
I know He loves me and cares for me but sometimes I cannot understand this strange affection. What kind of love is it that brings so much pain into my life – especially from a sovereign being who has the power to make all things right. And so, by nature,I resist the One who ultimately has designed all these difficult conditions for my good and for His glory.
It’s 5:59 a.m. I want to turn off the alarm, go back to sleep, and wake up in a different place and time. I want to wake up a better man or in different circumstances, something other than what’s right here, right now. I am exhausted already, simply by anticipating the next twenty minutes. Guilt begins to disguise itself as conviction, and so I pray.
Father, forgive me for my sins – cleanse me from all unrighteousness. Make the cross of your Son visible for me this morning as I approach this day. Show me your greatness in the smallness of my life. Lord, I am helpless against what is before me this morning, and I do not know what to do. But my eyes are on you. Please wake my son gently and peacefully. Create in him a good mood and a cooperative spirit. Give him an understanding of your love. Give me an understanding of Your love. Ease his frustration and help me to get him out of bed, cleaned, dressed, and off to school. Create in me the heart of a father, that I might be the man my son needs me to be. Make me like Jesus. None of this will be possible unless you intervene in my life and my family this morning. Lord, before my feet touch the floor, give me strength and grace – especially grace. I am desperate for your grace…
The shrill tone of the alarm clock pierces my thoughts and brings an impromptu amen to my prayer. A bit startled, my heart begins to beat faster, pumping much-needed blood into my reluctant extremities, a slight injection of adrenaline to assure the job gets done.
- Valerie Perrine just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost High School Footballer Pull Off An Incredibly Inspirational Interview.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost How To Stick With Youth Ministry For The Long Haul.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Children’s Book Shares Transgender Story With Kids Ages 4-8.
- solomon david published the blogpost Effective Steps to Setup WordPress Multisite With An Ease.
- Jonathan Pearson published the blogpost Overcoming Our Identity Crisis: A Guest Post By Michael Perkins.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Cheerleaders Defy School’s Ban, Lead Crowd in Lord’s Prayer.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost ‘Slenderman’ Costumes Sold in County Where Girl Was Brutally Stabbed.
- solomon david published the blogpost Mobile Web or Mobile Application – Which One You Need Most For Your Online Store?.
- Greg Atkinson published the blogpost Big Announcement: I’m Joining the Staff of Transformation Church.
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when you can read the first chapter of tables in the wilderness for free.
- George Mark just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost Dare Mighty Things: Your Life Matters Guest Post by Halee Gray Scott.
- Lindsey Bell published the blogpost Become a Better Mom – Week 4 Challenge: Go Hands Free.
- Natasha Crain published the blogpost 4 Easy Ways Parents Can Use the Internet to Grow Giving Hearts.
- GerDonna Ellis just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Kallie Ybarra published the blogpost Cheap Huggies at Rite Aid and Money-Maker Colgate at Target.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Gameplay Broadcasting May Be the New Big Thing in Streaming Entertainment.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Standing On The Never Changing Truths Found In The Word Of God by Debbie Harris.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost All That Really Matters Is Christ’s Approval by Debbie Harris.
- Greg Flagg published the blogpost Prayer for the Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost (Ordinary Time).
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments with Michael Yankoski | Is Faith Just An Idea?.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments with Michael Yankoski | Is Faith Just An Idea?.
- Courtney Rowland published the blogpost Caramel Apple Cider Ginger Ale Floats #SundaySupper.
- Leon Bloder published the blogpost Small Thing Big Difference: Week Three - "Words Get In The Way".