No Square Circles • Ephesians 4:17-24
Now this I say and testify in the Lord, that you must no longer walk as the Gentiles do.... that is not the way you learned Christ!—assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus... (Ephesians 4:17a, 20-21)
Paul says that the “Gentile” lifestyle is not right for his readers. If they have trusted in Jesus Christ, if they have believed in him and come to know him and follow him, he has taught them a completely different way to live. He teaches us to live according to truth, not bound up by lies.
This is the absurdity of those who completely misunderstand the gospel. Some would like to reduce the gospel of Jesus Christ to a mere divine “presidential pardon.” Some think Jesus died on the cross simply so that there would be no punishment to accompany our many abuses and sins, no final consequences. Thus, we claim to believe in Jesus so that we can go on happily about our sinning and not even have to worry about any negative consequences of those sins.
If this is what you believe, you have not received Christ. He did not die to negate the validity of our choice to reject God and all the hurts that are born in our lives and in the lives of those around us from that decision. He died to offer us a way out of that spiral of darkness and death. He died to open up a new way for us away from that death and into eternal living.
That is why it is impossible to pursue the Gentile lifestyle and be in Christ. Abandonment of that lifestyle is precisely what being in Christ implies. It would be like getting married in order to remain a bachelor. Paul’s added comment, though, makes it clear that even in his day there were those who misunderstood the gospel. We did not learn Christ by a pagan lifestyle—that is, of course, assuming that we have truly heard about the real Jesus and have actually been taught in him, Jesus in whom all truth resides. You see, if we have truly turned to Jesus, if we are genuinely his, that old lifestyle is precisely what we came to Jesus to get away from. Some may play at being Christians, they may pretend to follow Christ, but if they are bent on the pagan lifestyle, their life belies the faith they claim.
Charles McLeod, our Associate Pastor, will be preaching on Ephesians 4:17-24 in our service this coming Sunday, November 6, 2011. Worship begins at 10:45 am. Come and join us, 3201 W 15th St. Plano, TX 75075. Video and audio of the sermon is posted during the week at our website: www.pcbcplano.org. To access the messages directly, click here.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost The Sacred Year by Michael Yankoski | Blog Tour and Free Book Offer.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost The Sacred Year by Michael Yankoski | Blog Tour and Free Book Offer.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost The old maid and her old lady hoarder hobby - with product reviews.
- Roxie Keenan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Elisabeth Gifford shares the Gaelic myth of selkies and mermaids.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 18 Leadership Quotes And Lessons From Left Behind: The Movie.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost All God’s People Are Filled With The Beauty Of Our Triune God by Debbie Harris.
- Lara Krupicka published the blogpost Make a Wish: Setting One-Year Bucket List Intentions.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Parents’ Primer on Internet Pornography – UPDATED!.
- Ron Edmondson published the blogpost A Personal Opinion About Investing in the Community.
- solomon david published the blogpost Perception System and Rchilli Becomes Business Partner.
- Bronwyn Lea published the blogpost 48 Tips from the World’s Worst Potty Trainer (A Cautionary Tale).
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost The Top 10 Leadership Posts I Read The Week Of September 15th.
- Antwuan Malone published the blogpost Child Abuse, Domestic Violence, Homosexual Rights and Other Signs of Our Times.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Thousand Foot Krutch announces fall headline “Born This Way Tour”.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Shelly Johnson to drop new album, ‘Your Kingdom Come’ Sept. 23.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: CNN Anchors in Way Over Their Heads.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost (Birthday Edition) SOTW: ‘Steady Heart’ by Steffany Gretzinger.
- Brad Russell published the article 3 Reasons Why Financial Giving Culture Has Changed.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Does New ‘Fight Church’ Documentary Hit Below the Belt?.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Busyness and Productivity Set on Sale at WTS Books – Today Only.
- Brad Russell published the article Differentiating Mourning from Wallowing in Depression-Anxiety.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor study brings national attention to potential for cell phone addiction.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Is your child safety seat installed correctly? [video].
- Matt Reed just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW: Leaving Liberty by Virginia Carmichael.
- Mark McIntyre published the blogpost Leaders – How well are you getting people grounded in the faith?.
- Dorothy Greco published the blogpost Friday Soul Food: Jen Michel’s Teach Us to Want and the Conversion of Our Desires.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 85% Of Millennials In The US (18-24) Own Smartphones.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Attack, Hospitalize Innocent Man For Doing Good.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Getting High A Little Less Often; No One Knows Why.
- Deb Wolf published the blogpost Quit People Pleasing – Balance Around the Blogosphere & Linkup.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Differentiating Mourning from Wallowing in Depression-Anxiety.
- Chip Doolittle just moved in. Take time to say hey.