No Square Circles • Ephesians 4:17-24
Now this I say and testify in the Lord, that you must no longer walk as the Gentiles do.... that is not the way you learned Christ!—assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus... (Ephesians 4:17a, 20-21)
Paul says that the “Gentile” lifestyle is not right for his readers. If they have trusted in Jesus Christ, if they have believed in him and come to know him and follow him, he has taught them a completely different way to live. He teaches us to live according to truth, not bound up by lies.
This is the absurdity of those who completely misunderstand the gospel. Some would like to reduce the gospel of Jesus Christ to a mere divine “presidential pardon.” Some think Jesus died on the cross simply so that there would be no punishment to accompany our many abuses and sins, no final consequences. Thus, we claim to believe in Jesus so that we can go on happily about our sinning and not even have to worry about any negative consequences of those sins.
If this is what you believe, you have not received Christ. He did not die to negate the validity of our choice to reject God and all the hurts that are born in our lives and in the lives of those around us from that decision. He died to offer us a way out of that spiral of darkness and death. He died to open up a new way for us away from that death and into eternal living.
That is why it is impossible to pursue the Gentile lifestyle and be in Christ. Abandonment of that lifestyle is precisely what being in Christ implies. It would be like getting married in order to remain a bachelor. Paul’s added comment, though, makes it clear that even in his day there were those who misunderstood the gospel. We did not learn Christ by a pagan lifestyle—that is, of course, assuming that we have truly heard about the real Jesus and have actually been taught in him, Jesus in whom all truth resides. You see, if we have truly turned to Jesus, if we are genuinely his, that old lifestyle is precisely what we came to Jesus to get away from. Some may play at being Christians, they may pretend to follow Christ, but if they are bent on the pagan lifestyle, their life belies the faith they claim.
Charles McLeod, our Associate Pastor, will be preaching on Ephesians 4:17-24 in our service this coming Sunday, November 6, 2011. Worship begins at 10:45 am. Come and join us, 3201 W 15th St. Plano, TX 75075. Video and audio of the sermon is posted during the week at our website: www.pcbcplano.org. To access the messages directly, click here.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost “Real Women Leading” iPad Mini Giveaway and “Leading with Values” Facebook Party 3/20!.
- Kelly Pigott published the blogpost Ashes, Tattoos, the Sign of the Cross, and my Friend Connie.
- Walter Bright published the blogpost Be thou removed: Prayer of a man they called “Consecrated Cobbler.
- George Krickl published the blogpost Poor in Spirit: Paul and Barnabas Discipleship Continued.
- Jennifer Collins just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Doris SwiftOur greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter.” ― D.L. Moody
- Doris SwiftEmerge from ordinary into extraordinary; rise above, set apart, walking in the plan as He directs the steps...
- Doris SwiftIf you're feeling stuck in your writing journey~remember, every new idea-every word written propels you forward
- Jon StallingsIf we focus our prayers just on Jesus delivering us from the trials of life, we have set up our own life as an idol
- Melcome Feldspar just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Leon Bloder published the blogpost Shouldn't All Christians Be Universalists At Heart?.
- Jennifer Alayo-AguilarI am so excited to be here. This is something new that I have never tried before. I am glad to be alive to witness this, a blog post check-out site for Christians around the country, the world to connect with one another. The mini-neighborhood is pretty good. Say prayers for me, my husband, and the rest of our family as we get our lives back together and get on the right track with Jesus Christ. Amen.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Livestream Simply Youth Ministry Conference be a part of it!.
- George BullardMarch 8th: Transform Congregations By Radical Missional Engagement #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/03/march-8th-transform-congregations-by-radical-missional-engagement-365ssiftc.html
- Jennifer Alayo-Aguilar just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Greg Winfield published the blogpost The Blessing of Struggle – Do You Know What You’re Made of?.
- Stephanie L Burr just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 10 Reasons Why Youth Ministry Is A Strategic Career Choice.
- Evan Nehring published the blogpost Announcement: Life Sentence Publishing Partnership.
- Matthew Tan published the blogpost "Justice, Unity & the Hidden Christ": Review in Ethika Politika.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost The Top 10 Leadership Posts I Read The Week Of March 3rd.
- Nathan Wheeler published the blogpost Prayer, a beautiful mistake: Atheism For Lent Part 1.
- Allen O'Brien published the blogpost Mark Driscoll’s Publishing Tactics Trigger A Golden Age For Christian Publishing.
- Brad Russell published the article FaithVillage Expands Church Partnerships with 10 New Features.
- GREG WHITAKER just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost How To Supercharge Your Productivity With Evernote.
- Jotham David Parker published the video Truth (Christian Dance Hymn. Full Song with Lyrics).
- Myra Lee just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- FRANK NADJOMBE created a new gallery
- FRANK NADJOMBE just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jewish Voice published the blogpost Woliso Population Plus One – Medical Missions in Ethiopia.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Although Amazon is Sold Out, Barnes and Noble and Westminster Bookstore Still Have Copies.