No Square Circles • Ephesians 4:17-24
Now this I say and testify in the Lord, that you must no longer walk as the Gentiles do.... that is not the way you learned Christ!—assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus... (Ephesians 4:17a, 20-21)
Paul says that the “Gentile” lifestyle is not right for his readers. If they have trusted in Jesus Christ, if they have believed in him and come to know him and follow him, he has taught them a completely different way to live. He teaches us to live according to truth, not bound up by lies.
This is the absurdity of those who completely misunderstand the gospel. Some would like to reduce the gospel of Jesus Christ to a mere divine “presidential pardon.” Some think Jesus died on the cross simply so that there would be no punishment to accompany our many abuses and sins, no final consequences. Thus, we claim to believe in Jesus so that we can go on happily about our sinning and not even have to worry about any negative consequences of those sins.
If this is what you believe, you have not received Christ. He did not die to negate the validity of our choice to reject God and all the hurts that are born in our lives and in the lives of those around us from that decision. He died to offer us a way out of that spiral of darkness and death. He died to open up a new way for us away from that death and into eternal living.
That is why it is impossible to pursue the Gentile lifestyle and be in Christ. Abandonment of that lifestyle is precisely what being in Christ implies. It would be like getting married in order to remain a bachelor. Paul’s added comment, though, makes it clear that even in his day there were those who misunderstood the gospel. We did not learn Christ by a pagan lifestyle—that is, of course, assuming that we have truly heard about the real Jesus and have actually been taught in him, Jesus in whom all truth resides. You see, if we have truly turned to Jesus, if we are genuinely his, that old lifestyle is precisely what we came to Jesus to get away from. Some may play at being Christians, they may pretend to follow Christ, but if they are bent on the pagan lifestyle, their life belies the faith they claim.
Charles McLeod, our Associate Pastor, will be preaching on Ephesians 4:17-24 in our service this coming Sunday, November 6, 2011. Worship begins at 10:45 am. Come and join us, 3201 W 15th St. Plano, TX 75075. Video and audio of the sermon is posted during the week at our website: www.pcbcplano.org. To access the messages directly, click here.
- Kelley Mathews published the article What Not To Do When You Are Living 'In the Meantime'.
- Kelley Mathews published the article Looking Back, Facing Forward: 20 Soundtracks Jars of Clay’s 20-Year Celebration.
- Kelley Mathews published the article Stuffed French Toast with Bourbon Glazed Pineapples.
- Kelley Mathews published the article Critical Heart Changes For Successful Reconciliation.
- Kimber Yeargan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Patsy Moore just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Trailer for "Plan 9 from Outer Space".
- Brad Russell uploaded a photo
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost For Singles Only: 9 things to do while still single.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Win a KitchenAid Mixer in Susan May Warren’s Hawaiian Chef Showdown!.
- Brad Russell published the article What Playing Guitar Taught Me about the Spiritual Life.
- Madyson Russell uploaded a photo
- Brad Russell published the article The Cross — The New (Old) Scorecard for Church Leadership.
- Jon Stallings"Foursquare Prioritizes Urban Evangelism" @WeAreFoursquare http://buff.ly/1rDJx2L
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor Line Camp sets participation record for 8th straight year.
- Jessie Williams just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book for July 25th: The Calling of Congregational Leadership: Being, Knowing, Doing Ministry http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/0827205317
- George BullardFree TCP eBook July 25th Only! People and Factors Killing Your Congregationhttp://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00BEV0QPS
- George BullardJuly 25th: Transform Congregations By Encouraging a Deep Spiritual and MIssional Journey #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/07/july-25th-transform-congregations-by-encouraging-a-deep-spiritual-and-missional-journey-365ssiftc.html
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 4 Of The Most Important Words For Making Disciples.
- Cheyenne Tomlison published the blogpost Why My Child is More Important Than My "Mothering".
- Jon Stallings“May I say to all I meet, I am journeying toward the Lord’s given place, come with me for your good.” – The Valley of Vision
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘Love Displayed’ by Justin Kintzel (Free download + Video).
- Ron Edmondson published the blogpost How Some of the Best Discoveries Are Made – In Life and Leadership.
- Cheyenne Tomlison just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost MP3 of SBC Panel Discussion on “Mental Illness & the Mission of the Church”.
- Anna Brown published the blogpost 5 Content Marketing Facts That Will Make You Feel Shocked.
- Wayne Stiles published the blogpost I’m Writing a New Book, and I’d Like Your Opinion [Survey].
- Mark McIntyre published the blogpost Christianity Boosts Education, Quality of Life in Asian Countries.
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Mentors, Millennials and Monthly Favorites in This Week’s Friday Faves.
- Barry Pearman published the blogpost Do You Have A Soul Believer? 3 Qualities To Look For.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost No Time for Social Media? Hire a Virtual Assistant – Reade Milner.
- George Krickl published the blogpost The Plow: Moving from Biblical Examples to Our Ministry Manifesto.
- Janet Ridgeway published the blogpost Get Clean With Cottonelle And Save With A High Value Coupon.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Jet City's 'Wise Guys' - Squeaky Clean Show with F-Bombs.