No Square Circles • Ephesians 4:17-24
Now this I say and testify in the Lord, that you must no longer walk as the Gentiles do.... that is not the way you learned Christ!—assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus... (Ephesians 4:17a, 20-21)
Paul says that the “Gentile” lifestyle is not right for his readers. If they have trusted in Jesus Christ, if they have believed in him and come to know him and follow him, he has taught them a completely different way to live. He teaches us to live according to truth, not bound up by lies.
This is the absurdity of those who completely misunderstand the gospel. Some would like to reduce the gospel of Jesus Christ to a mere divine “presidential pardon.” Some think Jesus died on the cross simply so that there would be no punishment to accompany our many abuses and sins, no final consequences. Thus, we claim to believe in Jesus so that we can go on happily about our sinning and not even have to worry about any negative consequences of those sins.
If this is what you believe, you have not received Christ. He did not die to negate the validity of our choice to reject God and all the hurts that are born in our lives and in the lives of those around us from that decision. He died to offer us a way out of that spiral of darkness and death. He died to open up a new way for us away from that death and into eternal living.
That is why it is impossible to pursue the Gentile lifestyle and be in Christ. Abandonment of that lifestyle is precisely what being in Christ implies. It would be like getting married in order to remain a bachelor. Paul’s added comment, though, makes it clear that even in his day there were those who misunderstood the gospel. We did not learn Christ by a pagan lifestyle—that is, of course, assuming that we have truly heard about the real Jesus and have actually been taught in him, Jesus in whom all truth resides. You see, if we have truly turned to Jesus, if we are genuinely his, that old lifestyle is precisely what we came to Jesus to get away from. Some may play at being Christians, they may pretend to follow Christ, but if they are bent on the pagan lifestyle, their life belies the faith they claim.
Charles McLeod, our Associate Pastor, will be preaching on Ephesians 4:17-24 in our service this coming Sunday, November 6, 2011. Worship begins at 10:45 am. Come and join us, 3201 W 15th St. Plano, TX 75075. Video and audio of the sermon is posted during the week at our website: www.pcbcplano.org. To access the messages directly, click here.
- John Mark Miller published the blogpost U: Perceptible Unity – The Mark of Great Art…and Great Lives.
- Brian Jones published the blogpost Was Jesus A Man That The Early Church Turned Into A God?.
- Serena Rice published the blogpost Prayer on the Wind: Day 24 of the April Poetry Challenge.
- adekunle ojobaro just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Wayne Stiles published the blogpost Quote from Pascal on how to measure our efforts [Quote].
- Adam Smith published the blogpost 21 Things You Need To STOP Saying At Work-Julia Winston.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost CRITICAL CONDITION Kindle HDX Giveaway from Richard Mabry!.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost NIGHTLINE’S Dan Harris’ 10% HAPPIER Kindle HDX Giveaway!.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost The Guys Guide to God, Girls and the Phone in Your Pocket.
- Mike Kim published the blogpost #09: 3 Psychological Weapons of Marketing Influence.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Movie Producers Donate to Wounded Warriors with Your Help.
- Julio Ribeiro just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Warren Robison just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Gary Weed created a new gallery
- Gary Weed just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lyn Rossano just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Tina Jagneaux just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeremy Riley just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Flashback: How to Stop Victim Mentality and Thinking in Kids and Teens.
- Walter Bright published the blogpost Divine Healing Will Be Fully Realized When Jesus Returns.
- Brandi McElheney just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Blake Atwood published the audio If You Want to be Successful, Stop Being So Accessible | Michael Hyatt.
- John Rutledge published the article New study suggests religion can predict sexual behavior.
- Jeff Reiter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Candace Andrews just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Blake Atwood uploaded a photo
- Joe Padilla just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Chris Peek published the blogpost Why Simplicity is Necessary to Live in a Story that Matters.
- Blake Atwood published the video 'Theology Questions Everyone Asks' Part II | Gary M. Burge & David Lauber.
- Blake Atwood published the video 'Theology Questions Everyone Asks' | Gary M. Burge & David Lauber.
- Blake Atwood published the video The Counselor: Why Do You Doubt? | Craig Groeschel.
- Ancuta Rusu-Sieng just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brad Russell shared How to Create and Manage a Blog (Part 1) | Tutorial: NEW BLOGGERS: You can network your blog into the site by clicking Manage My Loft/Blog. Here's a video explaining how to create and manage your blog in FV.
- Dave Jenkins, Jr. created a new gallery
- Brad Russell uploaded a photo
- Dave Jenkins just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Drew DyckMy interview on the Logos blog on how we try to domesticate God. http://blog.vyrso.com/2014/04/23/stop-trying-to-tame-god-rediscovering-dangerous-christianity/
- Blake Atwood published the audio Reimaginining God's Eternal Purpose: Part I | Frank Viola.
- Victor Nunez just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor alum appointed to National Commission on Hunger.