Leap Year Day Explained…(finally)
Self-portrait of comic illustrator, Al Capp - courtesy Wikipedia
Today is one of the non-holiday anomalies that makes people scratch their heads asking, “Why do we add an extra day to the year every four years?”
As aside, comic illustrator Al Capp (see insert) selected Leap Year Day in 1937 to be renamed Sadie Hawkins Day in Capp’s famous comic strip series titled Lil’ Abner. The gist behind the fictitious Sadie Hawkins Day is that it’s a sanctioned opportunity for women to chase down men every four years in an attempt to get a husband.
On Sadie Hawkins Day, in Lil’ Abner‘s made up town of Dogpatch, if a woman catches an eligible bachelor and drags him to the finish line before sundown, he is obligated by law to marry her.
It’s a quaint little story that’s still played out in high school musicals across the country each year, and offers some folk lore texture to the non-holiday that is Leap Year Day.
For the actual reasons of how and why we NEED leap year day, here is a great explanation by the highly entertaining and always informative C.G.P. Grey.
Growing up I knew one kid who was actually born on leap year day – we always joked that while the rest of us were 12 years old he had an infantile chronological age of three (that still makes me chuckle today).
Question: How do you plan on not celebrating the non-holiday of Lear Year Day?
- Kari Baumann published the blogpost what I have been reading (back to school tired brain edition)..
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost The Two Hardest But Most Important Words A Leader Can Say.
- Marie Osborne published the blogpost Fall is for New Friends (also, pumpkin EVERYTHING!).
- Gayle BrownGod is so good. Remember to share His grace. 😇
- Gayle Brown just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Cheri Henderson published the blogpost Don’t Go Breaking Their Hearts: A Message to Young Women.
- Jamie Calloway-Hanauer published the blogpost Seeing an Empathetic Space: The Challenge of a Christian Witness in America.
- John Rutledge published the article Turbans not enough: Canadian helmet law disappoints Sikhs.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost What national voices are saying about Baylor’s McLane Stadium.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 4 Simple But Yet Crucial Reminders For Every Leader.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Sanctus Real to release new album, ‘The Dream’ October 14.
- solomon david published the blogpost WordPress Gallery Plugin Displays Images And Video Beautifully.
- solomon david published the blogpost Windows Phone 8.1 Brings Improved YouTube Experience, Lock Screen & More.
- Brad Andres published the blogpost Whether You Walk On Water or Take A Swim, “The Water Feels Alright”.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘I’m Not Religious at All, I Have a Relationship With God’ – Lecrae.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Tips for Engaging Volunteers in your Youth Program.
- Courtney Rowland published the blogpost Grilled Flank Steak Sandwiches with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms #WeekdaySupper.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Meet Worship leader Bridgett Kern, listen to new single.