Paul has just described in the previous verses the walk of the Children of Light. He ends this description with the final principle stated in verse 21. This principle should govern how we relate to one another. Paul tells us all to submit to one another, and to do so as an act of worship, out of reverence for our Lord Jesus Christ. Given that he is our King, and we his subjects, we live our lives in mutual submission as our way of recognizing his Lordship, as our way of honoring him.
This is not for a few, not for one alone. God is not calling some to submit and others to rule. We all submit to one another in Christ. We accept that we owe ourselves to one another, and we voluntarily bind ourselves to others in reverence of Christ. This is not something that our fellow believers earn from us, not something they must demand of us. It is a gift we give out of grace, as we have received from Christ out of grace.
This is the surrender that leads to spiritual depth in the Christian walk. As long as we try to retain a detached independence, we will never discover the meaning of our lives, because God created us to function within a broader body, a larger organism made up of human beings who have committed their lives to one another, submitted their individual claims to a larger and greater whole. Christian maturity is a communal reality. Together we grow up into the fullness of Christ as the body of Christ, filled with His Spirit. This is the reason church hoppers never deepen in their walk with Christ. Superficial and self-serving connections to other people will never lead to the kind of growth God has for us.
This principle guides Paul’s next passage. Up until now, he has moved from speaking in broad terms of all humankind to the narrower realities of the congregation. Now he will narrow his focus even further to look at the household. Part by part, he will look at how this mutual submission works itself out in the household
We are beginning our look at the relationships within the household by considering how submitting to one another plays out in the lives of husbands and wives. I will be preaching from Ephesians 5:21-33 in our service this coming Sunday, January 15, 2012. Worship begins at 10:45 am. Come and join us, 3201 W 15th St. Plano, TX 75075. Video and audio of the sermon is posted during the week at our website: www.pcbcplano.org. To access the messages directly, click here.
- Dave Dunham published the blogpost A Review of “Loss of Sadness” by Allan Horwitz and Jerome Wakefield.
- Patricia Hunter published the blogpost Labor Day::thankful for the gift of work and the labor of love....
- Lee Sah Lim published the blogpost Bangkok IV: Damnoen Saduak Floating Market And MBK Center.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Psalm 88 Sermon Follow Up: “Will Life Ever Get Better?”.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Are You Engaged With Teenagers Where They’re Growing Spiritually?.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 5 Roles Youth Workers Play In The Lives Of Teenagers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 6 Tips for Creating Structure and Boundaries in Ministry.
- Kelly Balarie published the blogpost Bible Verses for Perfectionists: Finding Your True Worth.
- solomon david published the blogpost 6 Must to Have Skills That Every Magento Store Developer Should Consider.
- solomon david published the blogpost Cloud Gaming Fun With Microsoft’s DeLorean Available Soon.
- solomon david published the blogpost 6 Amazing Paid iPhone Applications that Available for Free Right Now.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Tim Ferriss on the Importance of Being Unconventional.
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost Journey To The High Places: On The Shores of Loneliness (Week 7).
- Adam Smith published the blogpost Labor Day, Your Marriage, and Your Family – Jackie Bledsoe.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost How We Got Here: Live Alive Guest Post by Jordan Stroman.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 14 Practices Of Senior Pastors Who Grow Great Churches.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Are Getting Pickier About The Brands They Display On Their Clothes.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost Two Prayers That Will Inspire And Provoke The Soul.
- Martin KnoxGood bye, Faith Village. Thank you, Brad Russell, for what you have contributed to the work of the Kingdom.
- Greg Flagg published the blogpost Prayer for the Twelfth Sunday after Pentecost (Ordinary Time).
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Florida City Makes It Illegal to Wear Your Pants Too Low.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost MTV Bloodstained Hypocrisy of Hollywood’s Violence Profiteers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Marine Just Issued An Epic Challenge To The Black Community And The Ferguson Rioters.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Who Skimp On Sleep May Face Later Obesity Risk.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Study: Parental Incarceration May Be Worse Than Divorce.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Video Helps Gay Teen Disowned By Christian Parents Raise $90,000.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments | Do You Pick a Church Like You Pick A Restaurant?.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments | Do You Pick a Church Like You Pick A Restaurant?.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Don't you know you aren't supposed to drink the water in Mexico?.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost There's trouble in Paradise... and I've lost interest.