No More End Times Predictions
Recently I came across an article which stated that Harold Camping will no longer proclaim to know the date of the end of the world and the Return of Christ.
If you are unfamiliar with Mr. Camping, he has proclaimed the end of the world on several occasions. His evangelism of this idea was not limited to the United States. While in Swaziland, I saw countless billboards which touted May 21, 2011 as Judgment Day.
As we all know, this day came and went.
As a missionary, this message makes our job much more difficult. We lose respect and look like fanatics among those we attempt to make inroads with.
Camping finally acknowledged his error. In the article mentioned above, it reports that Camping, age 90, said he had "learned the very painful lesson that all of creation is in God's hands and he will end time in his time, not ours." He also said he "humbly recognizes that God may not tell his people the date of his return."
It took Mr. Camping 90 years to realize this. Humanity has wrestled with this lesson for thousands of years. In fact, every generation since Christ was crucified has believed they were the generation to see His return.
Paul was seasoned with this belief early in his ministry as he proclaimed that all should remain single as he was.(1 Cor. 7) This should not be used as a long term strategy for church growth! Later in his ministry, he backs away from this idea, presumably as he realized Christ's return might take longer than first anticipated.
Richard Abanes, in his work End-Time Visions: The Road to Armageddon, chronicles how this is a common line of thinking with each generation. He walks through a "Timeline of Doom" in order to demonstrate that each and every generation has thought they were the ones to usher in Christ's return.
So far, they were all wrong.
What makes us think we are the ones? I know, I know…..Signs of the Times. But really, don't you think all the other generations saw those as well?
So what do we do? Two things:
Hope as if we are the ones. Be expectant. Make the most of every day cause it may be your last.
Prepare as if we will be here for hundreds and thousands more years. Don't mortgage your future for a short term hope. Save money, plan for your kids, and leave a legacy in your business or ministry
It took Harold Camping 90 years to learn this lesson. He did a lot of damage to the church worldwide and individual's lives along the way. I am confident he was well intentioned. Having now repented, we as a church should forgive him. Yet the consequences of his actions remain. We need to learn from his mistakes.
Harold Camping was wrong.
He led others into this wrong belief.
Every generation in history has also been wrong.
Let's hope and prepare at the same time. Jesus WILL return one day and it WILL be amazing. Until then, let's make the most of each day we have on this Earth, making a difference in the lives of God's most precious creation - PEOPLE.
Photo Courtesy of Thomas Hawk on Flickr
- Blake Atwood uploaded a photo
- Courtney Rowland published the blogpost An Ohio Egg Adventure + 10 Tips for Making Great Eggs.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor couple’s HGTV series, ‘Fixer Upper, begins tonight.
- Blake Atwood shared What is a Church Website Strategy?: Does your church have a website strategy? "When people talk about website strategy, the conversation dips into many interesting areas. The problem is that the word strategy means something different to different people. Thus, to have an effective website strategy, you need to define what strategy is. In this article I offer you a framework to define various levels of guidance." Read more from Stephen Morrissey.
- George BullardApril 24th Transform Congregations By Affirming Long Pastorates #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/04/april-24th-transform-congregations-by-affirming-long-pastorates-365ssiftc.html
- George BullardApril 23rd Transform Congregations By Remembering But Not Repeating History #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/04/april-23rd-transform-congregations-by-remembering-but-not-repeating-history-365ssiftc.html
- George BullardApril 22nd Transform Congregations By Climbing Out of Ruts #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/04/april-22nd-transform-congregations-by-climbing-out-of-ruts-365ssiftc.html
- George BullardApril 21st Transform Congregations By Focusing on the Spiritual Transformation on People #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/04/april-21st-transform-congregations-by-focusing-on-the-spiritual-transformation-on-people-365ssiftc.html
- Elise Hilton published the blogpost Getting chased by the Devil...don't worry: I'm running faster.
- John Mark Miller published the blogpost U: Perceptible Unity – The Mark of Great Art…and Great Lives.
- Brian Jones published the blogpost Was Jesus A Man That The Early Church Turned Into A God?.
- Serena Rice published the blogpost Prayer on the Wind: Day 24 of the April Poetry Challenge.
- adekunle ojobaro just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Wayne Stiles published the blogpost Quote from Pascal on how to measure our efforts [Quote].
- Adam Smith published the blogpost 21 Things You Need To STOP Saying At Work-Julia Winston.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost CRITICAL CONDITION Kindle HDX Giveaway from Richard Mabry!.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost NIGHTLINE’S Dan Harris’ 10% HAPPIER Kindle HDX Giveaway!.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost The Guys Guide to God, Girls and the Phone in Your Pocket.
- Mike Kim published the blogpost #09: 3 Psychological Weapons of Marketing Influence.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Movie Producers Donate to Wounded Warriors with Your Help.
- Julio Ribeiro just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Warren Robison just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Gary Weed created a new gallery
- Gary Weed just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lyn Rossano just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Tina Jagneaux just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeremy Riley just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Flashback: How to Stop Victim Mentality and Thinking in Kids and Teens.
- Walter Bright published the blogpost Divine Healing Will Be Fully Realized When Jesus Returns.
- Brandi McElheney just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Blake Atwood published the audio If You Want to be Successful, Stop Being So Accessible | Michael Hyatt.
- John Rutledge published the article New study suggests religion can predict sexual behavior.
- Jeff Reiter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Candace Andrews just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Blake Atwood uploaded a photo
- Joe Padilla just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Chris Peek published the blogpost Why Simplicity is Necessary to Live in a Story that Matters.