No More End Times Predictions
Recently I came across an article which stated that Harold Camping will no longer proclaim to know the date of the end of the world and the Return of Christ.
If you are unfamiliar with Mr. Camping, he has proclaimed the end of the world on several occasions. His evangelism of this idea was not limited to the United States. While in Swaziland, I saw countless billboards which touted May 21, 2011 as Judgment Day.
As we all know, this day came and went.
As a missionary, this message makes our job much more difficult. We lose respect and look like fanatics among those we attempt to make inroads with.
Camping finally acknowledged his error. In the article mentioned above, it reports that Camping, age 90, said he had "learned the very painful lesson that all of creation is in God's hands and he will end time in his time, not ours." He also said he "humbly recognizes that God may not tell his people the date of his return."
It took Mr. Camping 90 years to realize this. Humanity has wrestled with this lesson for thousands of years. In fact, every generation since Christ was crucified has believed they were the generation to see His return.
Paul was seasoned with this belief early in his ministry as he proclaimed that all should remain single as he was.(1 Cor. 7) This should not be used as a long term strategy for church growth! Later in his ministry, he backs away from this idea, presumably as he realized Christ's return might take longer than first anticipated.
Richard Abanes, in his work End-Time Visions: The Road to Armageddon, chronicles how this is a common line of thinking with each generation. He walks through a "Timeline of Doom" in order to demonstrate that each and every generation has thought they were the ones to usher in Christ's return.
So far, they were all wrong.
What makes us think we are the ones? I know, I know…..Signs of the Times. But really, don't you think all the other generations saw those as well?
So what do we do? Two things:
Hope as if we are the ones. Be expectant. Make the most of every day cause it may be your last.
Prepare as if we will be here for hundreds and thousands more years. Don't mortgage your future for a short term hope. Save money, plan for your kids, and leave a legacy in your business or ministry
It took Harold Camping 90 years to learn this lesson. He did a lot of damage to the church worldwide and individual's lives along the way. I am confident he was well intentioned. Having now repented, we as a church should forgive him. Yet the consequences of his actions remain. We need to learn from his mistakes.
Harold Camping was wrong.
He led others into this wrong belief.
Every generation in history has also been wrong.
Let's hope and prepare at the same time. Jesus WILL return one day and it WILL be amazing. Until then, let's make the most of each day we have on this Earth, making a difference in the lives of God's most precious creation - PEOPLE.
Photo Courtesy of Thomas Hawk on Flickr
- Florence Ukpabi published the blogpost Behaviour Modification God’s Way (Book extract 28).
- John Bucher published the blogpost Check out The Living Reminders & The Leftovers Daily.
- raveena chandra just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book for August 1st: Cultivating Perennial Churches: Your Guide to Long-Term Growth http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/0827205120
- George BullardFree TCP eBook August 1st Only! Spiritual and Strategic Insights for Transforming Congregations Volume One http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00JJ17WZC
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when i am a popular blogger, or not [today at the high calling].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when we're moving back to waco [or, our lives are circles].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when i measure the distance of God [today at deeper story].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when there is no way but through, or, when there is room at this table.
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when this is the dinner party revolution: a guest post from ed cyzewski.
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when jesus asks, "and what about you?" [thoughts on the break, a look at our new home].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when we make vows long before they are ever spoken.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Have You Accepted President Obama As Your Personal Lord & Savior?.
- Melrose York just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor alums take ‘Fixer Upper’ skills to HGTV, ‘Today’ show.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 3 Common Traits of Youth Who Don’t Leave the Church.
- Mikel Del Rosario published the blogpost Apologetics Event Tip #1 – Build a Leadership Team.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW: Murder at Cold Creek College by Christa Nardi.
- Austin McCann published the blogpost Freebie: Resource to Disciple Students Who Come to Faith.
- George BullardAugust 1st Transform Congregations By Walking the Second Mile #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/08/august-1st-transform-congregations-by-walking-the-second-mile-365ssiftc.html
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Codependency, Chronic Pain, & Prescription Drug Abuse.
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Pinterest, Productivity and Playdates In This Week’s Friday Faves.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost The Key to Becoming a Better Writer: Read More – Reade Milner.
- daniel oghali created a new gallery
- daniel oghali just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost A Lifetime Impact: A Lesson in Integrity by Kim O’Brien.
- George Krickl published the blogpost Teleios: Four Things to Understand About Being Perfect.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 21 Leadership Quotes And Lessons From Guardians Of The Galaxy.
- Manuel Corzo just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeremy Morgan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘Danny Gokey Getaway Contest’ – all you need to know about it.