By What Means Established? • Acts 2:25-33
Now Peter explains why all this talk about Jesus is important. He argues that the resurrection of Jesus, in light of David’s prophetic words about the Messiah, proves him to be the Messiah. This is a shocking revelation. When God spoke of a King who would establish the eternal Kingdom of God, they had something more military in mind. They did not expect such humility. They did not expect his humiliating death on the cross. They did not expect his resurrection. But Peter points out that they should have expected it because David spoke about it. Jesus is the fulfillment of God’s promises to Abraham (in your descendant I will bless all the families of the earth) and to David (your descendant will sit on your throne forever).
But where are the armies? Where are the officials and governors? Where is the nation-building that everyone expected the Messiah to do? How is the Messiah going to establish his Kingdom? The answer lies before them. Jesus, exalted after his death and resurrection to the right hand of the Father (as in Daniel’s vision), received the Father’s promise of the Holy Spirit. He received from the Father, not only the eternal Kingdom, but also the means to establish and propagate it: the Holy Spirit.
So, Jesus has poured out the Holy Spirit. This is the way in which he will establish his Kingdom. Through the witness of his disciples, Jesus will grant the gift of the Holy Spirit to any who believe. The Holy Spirit will transform every believer and seal him or her for eternity. Thus the Kingdom expands, thus it conquers its foes. It is a non-violent expansion. So it is that the mighty Roman Empire fell, crumbled to the ground, but not because Christians took up arms against it. The Kingdom has spread through human history to this very day by the same method: the gift of the Holy Spirit given in response to faith upon the witness of disciples. This Holy Spirit has empowered the participants of the Kingdom for all the work of the Kingdom. If this work is to be summed up in the book of Acts, it would be described as Witness.
This Sunday, April 22, 2012, I will be preaching from Acts 2:25-33. Worship begins at 10:45 am. Come and join us, 3201 W 15th St. Plano, TX 75075. Video and audio of the sermon is posted during the week at our website: www.pcbcplano.org. To access the messages directly, click here.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 17 Practices Of Highly Successful Leaders: Little League head coach Dave Belisle.
- John Peterson published the blogpost You Don’t Have to Be Retired to Rest and Enjoy Life.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 14 Ways for Christian Parents to Teach Kids about Atheism.
- George Bullard published the blogpost Can Missional Congregations Outrun Their Supply Lines?.
- Kelley Mathews published the article When Your House is Dirty and Your Kids are Screaming, Why Care About Ferguson?.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: What if Michael Bay had Directed "UP.".
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Watch: Capital Kings new music video and single ‘Fireblazin’.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘…I remember going to church and getting angry’ – E! News Giuliana Rancic.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Stream Thousand Foot Krutch’s new album ‘OXYGEN:INHALE’ in its entirety.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost In Perfect Time by @SarahSundin | Enter to win a Kindle HDX and a set of books!.
- Kelley Mathews published the article Four Truths to Hold Onto When Family Members Don’t Change.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Mom Comes Up With An app That Locks Her Kids’ Phones Until They Call Her Back.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teen Siblings Create App to Monitor Police Activity.
- Courtney Rowland published the blogpost Tomato and Corn Chopped Salad with Cilantro Ranch Dressing.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost How to Lead and Leverage the Opportunities in Difficult Times.
- Mike Mobley published the blogpost Top 10 Things I’ve Learned in 10 Years of Marriage.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Summit, SEBTS, & Bridgehaven Partner to Offer Biblical Counseling Certificate.
- Jonathan Pearson published the blogpost 3 Lessons About Life From the Big Bang Theory TV Show.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost The 13-Step Plan to Run a World-Class Bad Meeting – Glenn Brooke.
- solomon david published the blogpost Guide to WordPress Affiliate Store Development With Different Methods.