By What Means Established? • Acts 2:25-33
Now Peter explains why all this talk about Jesus is important. He argues that the resurrection of Jesus, in light of David’s prophetic words about the Messiah, proves him to be the Messiah. This is a shocking revelation. When God spoke of a King who would establish the eternal Kingdom of God, they had something more military in mind. They did not expect such humility. They did not expect his humiliating death on the cross. They did not expect his resurrection. But Peter points out that they should have expected it because David spoke about it. Jesus is the fulfillment of God’s promises to Abraham (in your descendant I will bless all the families of the earth) and to David (your descendant will sit on your throne forever).
But where are the armies? Where are the officials and governors? Where is the nation-building that everyone expected the Messiah to do? How is the Messiah going to establish his Kingdom? The answer lies before them. Jesus, exalted after his death and resurrection to the right hand of the Father (as in Daniel’s vision), received the Father’s promise of the Holy Spirit. He received from the Father, not only the eternal Kingdom, but also the means to establish and propagate it: the Holy Spirit.
So, Jesus has poured out the Holy Spirit. This is the way in which he will establish his Kingdom. Through the witness of his disciples, Jesus will grant the gift of the Holy Spirit to any who believe. The Holy Spirit will transform every believer and seal him or her for eternity. Thus the Kingdom expands, thus it conquers its foes. It is a non-violent expansion. So it is that the mighty Roman Empire fell, crumbled to the ground, but not because Christians took up arms against it. The Kingdom has spread through human history to this very day by the same method: the gift of the Holy Spirit given in response to faith upon the witness of disciples. This Holy Spirit has empowered the participants of the Kingdom for all the work of the Kingdom. If this work is to be summed up in the book of Acts, it would be described as Witness.
This Sunday, April 22, 2012, I will be preaching from Acts 2:25-33. Worship begins at 10:45 am. Come and join us, 3201 W 15th St. Plano, TX 75075. Video and audio of the sermon is posted during the week at our website: www.pcbcplano.org. To access the messages directly, click here.
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia Carter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May Jesus Christ Be The Ultimate Treasure We Always Seek by Debbie Harris..
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Father Who Can We Graciously And Humbly Walk Beside Today Just To Love by Debbie Harris.
- Bryce Johnson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 13 Resources For Ministry Leaders Who Struggle with Porn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Expert Reveals Biggest Concern About Youngsters And Social Media.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Half (54%) Of US Teens Think Life Would Be Better Without Social Media.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Roy Lichtenstein's Most Popular Painting is Displayed.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost After Confronting Campus Bully, HS Football Player Gets Suspended.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Conservative Student Is Victim Of ‘Racist Rape Apologist’ Attack Fliers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Yik Yak app Putting Teens Behind Bars, Police Warn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Hearing That Things Can Change Helps Teens Dodge Depression.
- Andrew Shivers just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost GIVEAWAY: Win a Framed “The Fault in Our Stars” FULL SIZE Movie Poster [Winner Chosen].
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘Boxtrolls:’ Incredible Animation, Charmless Story.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Dad Lip-Syncs Daughter's Tantrum.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost SOTW: ‘Chasing After The Wind’ by Alan Powell (Free Friday Download).
- Matt Perman published the blogpost The Drive Video: If You Want Engagement, Self-Direction is Better.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW/INTERVIEW: The Unexpected Earl by Philippa Jane Keyworth.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 55: Gary Black Jr. – Co-author of The Divine Conspiracy Continued.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ‘Believe Me': Alum’s thought-provoking film now in theaters.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost Stress Kills!!! Here's 3 Ways To Do Something About It.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost How The New Fall TV Season Reminds Me Of The Gospel.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Suffering Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Personal Responsibility Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost 20 Approaches to Battling Depression-Anxiety as Suffering.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Hellion’ is A Wild, Family-Driven Ride Worth Taking.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2′ is Cool, Uncommitted.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost “Kidnapped for Christ” Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Talking about cancer on WFAA’s ‘Two Chairs’ series.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Get Excited: New ‘Believe Me’ Trailer Validates Everything We Thought.
- solomon david published the blogpost Micromax Canvas Nitro Launched for Rs 12,990 in India.
- solomon david published the blogpost 20 Mobile (iOS, Android) App & Web Prototyping Tools – Part2.