By What Means Established? • Acts 2:25-33
Now Peter explains why all this talk about Jesus is important. He argues that the resurrection of Jesus, in light of David’s prophetic words about the Messiah, proves him to be the Messiah. This is a shocking revelation. When God spoke of a King who would establish the eternal Kingdom of God, they had something more military in mind. They did not expect such humility. They did not expect his humiliating death on the cross. They did not expect his resurrection. But Peter points out that they should have expected it because David spoke about it. Jesus is the fulfillment of God’s promises to Abraham (in your descendant I will bless all the families of the earth) and to David (your descendant will sit on your throne forever).
But where are the armies? Where are the officials and governors? Where is the nation-building that everyone expected the Messiah to do? How is the Messiah going to establish his Kingdom? The answer lies before them. Jesus, exalted after his death and resurrection to the right hand of the Father (as in Daniel’s vision), received the Father’s promise of the Holy Spirit. He received from the Father, not only the eternal Kingdom, but also the means to establish and propagate it: the Holy Spirit.
So, Jesus has poured out the Holy Spirit. This is the way in which he will establish his Kingdom. Through the witness of his disciples, Jesus will grant the gift of the Holy Spirit to any who believe. The Holy Spirit will transform every believer and seal him or her for eternity. Thus the Kingdom expands, thus it conquers its foes. It is a non-violent expansion. So it is that the mighty Roman Empire fell, crumbled to the ground, but not because Christians took up arms against it. The Kingdom has spread through human history to this very day by the same method: the gift of the Holy Spirit given in response to faith upon the witness of disciples. This Holy Spirit has empowered the participants of the Kingdom for all the work of the Kingdom. If this work is to be summed up in the book of Acts, it would be described as Witness.
This Sunday, April 22, 2012, I will be preaching from Acts 2:25-33. Worship begins at 10:45 am. Come and join us, 3201 W 15th St. Plano, TX 75075. Video and audio of the sermon is posted during the week at our website: www.pcbcplano.org. To access the messages directly, click here.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Movie Producers Donate to Wounded Warriors with Your Help.
- Julio Ribeiro just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Warren Robison just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Gary Weed created a new gallery
- Gary Weed just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lyn Rossano just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Tina Jagneaux just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeremy Riley just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Flashback: How to Stop Victim Mentality and Thinking in Kids and Teens.
- Walter Bright published the blogpost Divine Healing Will Be Fully Realized When Jesus Returns.
- Brandi McElheney just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Blake Atwood published the audio If You Want to be Successful, Stop Being So Accessible | Michael Hyatt.
- John Rutledge published the article New study suggests religion can predict sexual behavior.
- Jeff Reiter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Candace Andrews just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Blake Atwood uploaded a photo
- Joe Padilla just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Chris Peek published the blogpost Why Simplicity is Necessary to Live in a Story that Matters.
- Blake Atwood published the video 'Theology Questions Everyone Asks' Part II | Gary M. Burge & David Lauber.
- Blake Atwood published the video 'Theology Questions Everyone Asks' | Gary M. Burge & David Lauber.
- Blake Atwood published the video The Counselor: Why Do You Doubt? | Craig Groeschel.
- Ancuta Rusu-Sieng just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brad Russell shared How to Create and Manage a Blog (Part 1) | Tutorial: NEW BLOGGERS: You can network your blog into the site by clicking Manage My Loft/Blog. Here's a video explaining how to create and manage your blog in FV.
- Dave Jenkins, Jr. created a new gallery
- Brad Russell uploaded a photo
- Dave Jenkins just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Drew DyckMy interview on the Logos blog on how we try to domesticate God. http://blog.vyrso.com/2014/04/23/stop-trying-to-tame-god-rediscovering-dangerous-christianity/
- Blake Atwood published the audio Reimaginining God's Eternal Purpose: Part I | Frank Viola.
- Victor Nunez just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor alum appointed to National Commission on Hunger.
- Dorothy Greco published the blogpost Relevant Magazine: Fear Doesn’t Have to Control Us.
- Lauren Sturdy published the article Fostering Adventures: Veteran Parents Rebuild Lives.
- Blake Atwood shared Getting Your Small Group to Like You: "If people genuinely don’t like you, and you’re a representation of Christ for them, then there’s a great chance you’re acting as a barrier for them to enjoying Jesus. It would be wise for us to not be a barrier. How to you get your small group to like you? Well you can start by taking a shower before group. Then, let’s get to the more important things." — Ben Reed
- Britni Wood published the blogpost IT’S HERE! Get the Ultimate Homemaking Bundle NOW!!!!.
- Deb Wolf published the blogpost A Dozen Things You Can Do to Start Really Living Today.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Kidnapped Boy, 10, Sang A Gospel Song For 3 HOURS Until Abductor Set Him Free.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Who Suffer A Concussion More Likely To Attempt Suicide: study.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost New Teen Deadly LSD-Like Drug 25I, or N-bomb Trends.