E.T. and the Bible
So, the Bible doesn't really overtly touch on the topic of extraterrestrial life (other than spiritual beings), you say? Does that mean that Christians are free choose to believe or not to believe in aliens? I'll do my best to answer that question and more in the following paragraphs.
In order to adequately answer this question I'll need to provide you with a few pieces of information, because the answer really is primarily derived from a good understanding of biblical theology.
A) The current state of deterioration, matter and energy moving steadily and surely from order to disorder, the entire universe speeding headlong into utter chaos; better known as entropy (the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics), is not how God originally created the cosmos. Since we read, in Genesis chapter one, that everything He made was very good, and that death and decay didn't enter onto the scene until the first (of many) big human blunder, we can determine rather quickly that the universe was not experiencing this state of decay, which is directly associated with the Curse, prior to the Fall of man.
B) Because God is righteous and just His very nature would prevent Him from inflicting the punishment for man's original sin on some unsuspecting race of A.L.F.s on some other planet in some other solar system and some other galaxy, across the universe from Earth.
C) If the Bible teaches both A and B, which it does, the only viable (biblically speaking) options as to the existence of sentient life on other planets is either, 1. There isn't any, or 2. There may be, but if they do exist then they must live on a planet or in a solar system, galaxy, or some other spacial distinction within a bubble which shields them from the effects of the Curse (i.e., entropy) which is a universal constant. If there was no bubble then God would not be just because they would be suffering under the same curse as we do here on Earth. I understand that this scenario sounds ridiculous. That's because it is. The Bible, while not mentioning the topic, simply doesn't allow for the existence of sentient life forms outside of the human race.
The whole idea of Jesus Christ as a kinsman redeemer ties into this. In a follow-up blog I will quickly present an overview of the goel, the kinsman redeemer. I'll use the situation found in the Book of Ruth because it is the best and most beautiful description found anywhere.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone, lovingly known as Gus
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book for August 1st: Cultivating Perennial Churches: Your Guide to Long-Term Growth http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/0827205120
- George BullardFree TCP eBook August 1st Only! Spiritual and Strategic Insights for Transforming Congregations Volume One http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00JJ17WZC
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when i am a popular blogger, or not [today at the high calling].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when we're moving back to waco [or, our lives are circles].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when i measure the distance of God [today at deeper story].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when there is no way but through, or, when there is room at this table.
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when this is the dinner party revolution: a guest post from ed cyzewski.
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when jesus asks, "and what about you?" [thoughts on the break, a look at our new home].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when we make vows long before they are ever spoken.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Have You Accepted President Obama As Your Personal Lord & Savior?.
- Melrose York just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor alums take ‘Fixer Upper’ skills to HGTV, ‘Today’ show.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 3 Common Traits of Youth Who Don’t Leave the Church.
- Mikel Del Rosario published the blogpost Apologetics Event Tip #1 – Build a Leadership Team.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW: Murder at Cold Creek College by Christa Nardi.
- Austin McCann published the blogpost Freebie: Resource to Disciple Students Who Come to Faith.
- George BullardAugust 1st Transform Congregations By Walking the Second Mile #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/08/august-1st-transform-congregations-by-walking-the-second-mile-365ssiftc.html
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Codependency, Chronic Pain, & Prescription Drug Abuse.
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Pinterest, Productivity and Playdates In This Week’s Friday Faves.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost The Key to Becoming a Better Writer: Read More – Reade Milner.
- daniel oghali created a new gallery
- daniel oghali just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost A Lifetime Impact: A Lesson in Integrity by Kim O’Brien.
- George Krickl published the blogpost Teleios: Four Things to Understand About Being Perfect.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 21 Leadership Quotes And Lessons From Guardians Of The Galaxy.
- Manuel Corzo just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeremy Morgan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘Danny Gokey Getaway Contest’ – all you need to know about it.
- Kelley Mathews published the article For Couples Getting Married: Don’t Save Yourself for your Wedding Night!.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 'Kidnapped for Christ' Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 'Tables in the Wilderness' | Preston Yancey [Excerpt].
- Robin Norgren published the blogpost Spark and Inspire: You have the Idea You just Need a Little Help.