You may be sick of me talking about Cross-Cultural Servanthood: Serving the World in Christlike Humility, but it is profoundly influencing what I am thinking about. (I think that is the goal of every author, at least this one!)
My thought today has to do with Duane Elmer's exploration of ethnocentrism. In other words, the view of life through the filter of one's own culture, believing it to be the best.
When you move overseas you constantly compare things to your homeland. The way people drive, what people where, the food that is eaten, as well as the general sense of cleanliness, time, and productivity.
Perpetual comparison becomes exhausting. It wearies one to always be searching for ways in which your culture is superior. This can keep us from realizing how amazing the people and nation we serve in actually are.
So, STOP IT!
I remember the first time I returned to the United States after moving to South Africa. Everything was fantastic! I was so excited to do my favorite things and eat my favorite foods. Each morsel seemed extra special.
This rush has dwindled through the years. Although the taste in the food is the same, the excitement has become ordinary. One of the reasons is I have adapted, withSouth Africa has becoming more of a home.
People often ask that very question. "
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost The Glorious Gift Of God’s Presence by Debbie Harris.
- John Rutledge published the article Most Americans say U.S. should shelter child immigrants.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Baylor’s first quintuplets head home; I’m sad to see them go.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost The Top 10 Leadership Posts I Read The Week Of July 28th.
- Robin Norgren published the blogpost Spark and Inspire Question #1: Are Collaborations a Good Idea?.
- Kelley Mathews published the audio Welcome to a Life of Greatness | The Journey with Ron Moore.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga Sing "Anything Goes".
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Ebola, skin cancer, doctor training changes among this week’s top health headlines.
- Crystal Stine published the blogpost 4×4 of 4 Things (OR: Stuff To Know About Me Before Declare).
- Kevin Sistrunk just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Tameshia Williams > Great Book ReviewersHappy Friday Great Book Reviewers,
The latest Fiction, and Christian Living books available for review have been uploaded. As usual, please message Kelley Mathews — the group admin at this time — with your request. Include your mailing address and remember to upload a link to your review on this group wall when it's complete. Try to do that within a month or so, and we can re-list you as an eligible reviewer. Happy reading!
- Florence Ukpabi published the blogpost Behaviour Modification God’s Way (Book extract 28).
- John Bucher published the blogpost Check out The Living Reminders & The Leftovers Daily.
- raveena chandra just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book for August 1st: Cultivating Perennial Churches: Your Guide to Long-Term Growth http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/0827205120
- George BullardFree TCP eBook August 1st Only! Spiritual and Strategic Insights for Transforming Congregations Volume One http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00JJ17WZC
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when i am a popular blogger, or not [today at the high calling].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when we're moving back to waco [or, our lives are circles].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when i measure the distance of God [today at deeper story].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when there is no way but through, or, when there is room at this table.
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when this is the dinner party revolution: a guest post from ed cyzewski.
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when jesus asks, "and what about you?" [thoughts on the break, a look at our new home].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when we make vows long before they are ever spoken.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Have You Accepted President Obama As Your Personal Lord & Savior?.
- Melrose York just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor alums take ‘Fixer Upper’ skills to HGTV, ‘Today’ show.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 3 Common Traits of Youth Who Don’t Leave the Church.
- Mikel Del Rosario published the blogpost Apologetics Event Tip #1 – Build a Leadership Team.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW: Murder at Cold Creek College by Christa Nardi.
- Austin McCann published the blogpost Freebie: Resource to Disciple Students Who Come to Faith.
- George BullardAugust 1st Transform Congregations By Walking the Second Mile #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/08/august-1st-transform-congregations-by-walking-the-second-mile-365ssiftc.html
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Codependency, Chronic Pain, & Prescription Drug Abuse.
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Pinterest, Productivity and Playdates In This Week’s Friday Faves.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost The Key to Becoming a Better Writer: Read More – Reade Milner.