The Secret of A Less Panicked Life
Have you ever given in to panic?
Boy howdy, have I. And it lead to fear-mongering in my heart and sin. Once, during a particularly vexing time when I faced an enemy of sorts, I panicked, retaliated in kind, and made a mess of things. My panic gave my “enemy” more fuel to hate me. Not a fun encounter, to be sure.
So I get panic.
I do panic.
I’ve languished in the land of panic.
But I don’t want to give into panic as I have in the past. Why? Read on.
Thankfully, God offers me a principle, a secret, to overcome panic: resting in God’s deliverance. And for that, I look to Gideon from Old Testament fame–the reluctant commander who would eventually deliver Israel from its enemies.
Gideon isn’t much of a poster child for a less panicked life. He didn’t recognize the Angel of the Lord right away, called him “sir.” And he asked for signs right and left to make sure it was God who spoke to him. Prone to panic, he was.
But he learned a secret.
Stop and re-read that sentence, let it sink into your bones.
With only 300 men, Gideon routed thousands and thousands of enemies because God fought for them. “When the 300 Israelites blew their rams’ horns, the Lord caused the warriors in the camp to fight against each other with their swords” (Judges 7:22, NLT).
The result of all this? Peace–not panic.
“Throughout the rest of Gideon’s lifetime–about forty years–there was peace in Israel” (Judges 8:28, NLT).
We can have peace. We don’t need to give into panic. To do so is to discover, then live the secret that God acts broadly on our behalf, particularly when the impossible looms ahead.
What about you? When have you given into panic? When have you learned that God acts on your behalf, and how as that brought peace? I look forward to your stories.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost Have You Ever Cut Your Nose Off To Spite Your Face?.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 17 Practices Of Highly Successful Leaders: Little League head coach Dave Belisle.
- John Peterson published the blogpost You Don’t Have to Be Retired to Rest and Enjoy Life.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 14 Ways for Christian Parents to Teach Kids about Atheism.
- George Bullard published the blogpost Can Missional Congregations Outrun Their Supply Lines?.
- Kelley Mathews published the article When Your House is Dirty and Your Kids are Screaming, Why Care About Ferguson?.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: What if Michael Bay had Directed "UP.".
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Watch: Capital Kings new music video and single ‘Fireblazin’.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘…I remember going to church and getting angry’ – E! News Giuliana Rancic.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Stream Thousand Foot Krutch’s new album ‘OXYGEN:INHALE’ in its entirety.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost In Perfect Time by @SarahSundin | Enter to win a Kindle HDX and a set of books!.
- Kelley Mathews published the article Four Truths to Hold Onto When Family Members Don’t Change.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Mom Comes Up With An app That Locks Her Kids’ Phones Until They Call Her Back.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teen Siblings Create App to Monitor Police Activity.
- Courtney Rowland published the blogpost Tomato and Corn Chopped Salad with Cilantro Ranch Dressing.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost How to Lead and Leverage the Opportunities in Difficult Times.
- Mike Mobley published the blogpost Top 10 Things I’ve Learned in 10 Years of Marriage.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Summit, SEBTS, & Bridgehaven Partner to Offer Biblical Counseling Certificate.
- Jonathan Pearson published the blogpost 3 Lessons About Life From the Big Bang Theory TV Show.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost The 13-Step Plan to Run a World-Class Bad Meeting – Glenn Brooke.