The Secret of A Less Panicked Life
Have you ever given in to panic?
Boy howdy, have I. And it lead to fear-mongering in my heart and sin. Once, during a particularly vexing time when I faced an enemy of sorts, I panicked, retaliated in kind, and made a mess of things. My panic gave my “enemy” more fuel to hate me. Not a fun encounter, to be sure.
So I get panic.
I do panic.
I’ve languished in the land of panic.
But I don’t want to give into panic as I have in the past. Why? Read on.
Thankfully, God offers me a principle, a secret, to overcome panic: resting in God’s deliverance. And for that, I look to Gideon from Old Testament fame–the reluctant commander who would eventually deliver Israel from its enemies.
Gideon isn’t much of a poster child for a less panicked life. He didn’t recognize the Angel of the Lord right away, called him “sir.” And he asked for signs right and left to make sure it was God who spoke to him. Prone to panic, he was.
But he learned a secret.
Stop and re-read that sentence, let it sink into your bones.
With only 300 men, Gideon routed thousands and thousands of enemies because God fought for them. “When the 300 Israelites blew their rams’ horns, the Lord caused the warriors in the camp to fight against each other with their swords” (Judges 7:22, NLT).
The result of all this? Peace–not panic.
“Throughout the rest of Gideon’s lifetime–about forty years–there was peace in Israel” (Judges 8:28, NLT).
We can have peace. We don’t need to give into panic. To do so is to discover, then live the secret that God acts broadly on our behalf, particularly when the impossible looms ahead.
What about you? When have you given into panic? When have you learned that God acts on your behalf, and how as that brought peace? I look forward to your stories.
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost Journey To The High Places: On The Shores of Loneliness (Week 7).
- Adam Smith published the blogpost Labor Day, Your Marriage, and Your Family – Jackie Bledsoe.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost How We Got Here: Live Alive Guest Post by Jordan Stroman.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 14 Practices Of Senior Pastors Who Grow Great Churches.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Are Getting Pickier About The Brands They Display On Their Clothes.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost Two Prayers That Will Inspire And Provoke The Soul.
- Martin KnoxGood bye, Faith Village. Thank you, Brad Russell, for what you have contributed to the work of the Kingdom.
- Greg Flagg published the blogpost Prayer for the Twelfth Sunday after Pentecost (Ordinary Time).
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Florida City Makes It Illegal to Wear Your Pants Too Low.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost MTV Bloodstained Hypocrisy of Hollywood’s Violence Profiteers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Marine Just Issued An Epic Challenge To The Black Community And The Ferguson Rioters.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Who Skimp On Sleep May Face Later Obesity Risk.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Study: Parental Incarceration May Be Worse Than Divorce.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Video Helps Gay Teen Disowned By Christian Parents Raise $90,000.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments | Do You Pick a Church Like You Pick A Restaurant?.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments | Do You Pick a Church Like You Pick A Restaurant?.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Don't you know you aren't supposed to drink the water in Mexico?.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost There's trouble in Paradise... and I've lost interest.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Expectant Parents by Suzanne Hadley Gosselin | Giveaway, Blog Tour, & Publicity.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Expectant Parents by Suzanne Hadley Gosselin | Giveaway, Blog Tour, & Publicity.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Baylor Scott & White hospitals planning to align with Cleveland Clinic.
- James Vest just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jennifer Cote published the blogpost Carmalizing Sugar (for Walnuts, Caramel Sauce, Etc.).
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Baylor Scott & White hospitals partner with Cleveland Clinic.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost What Your Church Can Do To Fight Modern-Day Slavery.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost The Top 10 Leadership Posts I Read The Week Of August 25th.
- Anthony PorcoSorry to hear that FaithVillage is going away; I enjoyed this site, and I enjoyed meeting all of you. Please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks, and God bless all of you.
- solomon david published the blogpost WordPress Blog Development Service to Expand Your Business in Professional Way.