August 12, 2013: ‘Can I Give Her My Shoes?’
Some people go to conventions to attend the convention. I go to see old friends. I’ll stick my head into this or that breakout session now and then. But the last few years, I’ve learned so much more that happiness is something to believe, something to do and someone to love.
At a recent convention, it was so good to see so many friends, so energizing and life-giving. One of those old friends was Scott, who has worked for Buckner International for almost 20 years. I found him at the Buckner booth and we laughed, reminisced and dreamed together for almost two hours.
Part of that reminiscing had to do with our common experiences of joy in ministering to orphans internationally. Two years ago, Scott told me, they took their then-15-year-old daughter, Claire, to Kenya on a mission trip to deliver shoes to orphans. Multiple thousands of pairs of shoes had been donated from all over the United States.
The mission team was there to give them away, one pair at a time. In one village, after they’d given away all the shoes they had, Claire spotted one little girl who’d not gotten a pair.
“Dad, can I give her my shoes?” Claire asked. “They’re brand new. I just put them on this morning.”
“No, sweetheart, those are your shoes. We’ll be sure and get her a pair,” he said.
“But, Dad, she’s the only one who didn’t get a pair. I can’t leave her without any.”
“It will be OK,” Scott said. “Besides, it’s too dangerous. Just walking from here back to the van you could cut your foot and get a serious infection.”
It seems that something about the word “dangerous” sparked inside Claire’s young heart as it ricocheted off the gospel she’d heard all of her life. She leaned in closer and said, “Then you’ll just have to carry me.”
With her dad out of arguments, Claire bared her eternal soul, pulled off her new shoes and put them on the orphan’s bare soles. The whole ministry team was in tears as Dad picked up his not-so-little-anymore-but-big-hearted girl and carried her back to the van.
When Claire gave that little girl her shoes, Jesus became flesh through her in that Kenyan village. An eternal transaction was completed. A little orphan felt loved in a way that only a pair of shoes can make possible. Claire had something to believe, something to do about it and someone to love because of it.
Heaven’s eternal happiness is just one pair of bare soles away.
Glen Schmucker is a graduate of Hardin-Simmons University and Southwestern Seminary and has served as pastor of churches in Texas and Arkansas. He recently made a career shift to writing and serving as a hospice chaplain in San Antonio.
Prayer of the Week:
-God, Your loving hand has given us all we have. Help us to honor You with our possessions and be faithful stewards of what You have given us as we remember the account which we must one day give. Give us opportunities this week to serve others using the gifts You have graciously entrusted to us.
Sign up here to have our weekly Faith Focus e-mail delivered to your inbox!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia Carter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May Jesus Christ Be The Ultimate Treasure We Always Seek by Debbie Harris..
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Father Who Can We Graciously And Humbly Walk Beside Today Just To Love by Debbie Harris.
- Bryce Johnson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 13 Resources For Ministry Leaders Who Struggle with Porn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Expert Reveals Biggest Concern About Youngsters And Social Media.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Half (54%) Of US Teens Think Life Would Be Better Without Social Media.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Roy Lichtenstein's Most Popular Painting is Displayed.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost After Confronting Campus Bully, HS Football Player Gets Suspended.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Conservative Student Is Victim Of ‘Racist Rape Apologist’ Attack Fliers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Yik Yak app Putting Teens Behind Bars, Police Warn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Hearing That Things Can Change Helps Teens Dodge Depression.
- Andrew Shivers just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost GIVEAWAY: Win a Framed “The Fault in Our Stars” FULL SIZE Movie Poster [Winner Chosen].
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘Boxtrolls:’ Incredible Animation, Charmless Story.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Dad Lip-Syncs Daughter's Tantrum.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost SOTW: ‘Chasing After The Wind’ by Alan Powell (Free Friday Download).
- Matt Perman published the blogpost The Drive Video: If You Want Engagement, Self-Direction is Better.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW/INTERVIEW: The Unexpected Earl by Philippa Jane Keyworth.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 55: Gary Black Jr. – Co-author of The Divine Conspiracy Continued.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ‘Believe Me': Alum’s thought-provoking film now in theaters.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost Stress Kills!!! Here's 3 Ways To Do Something About It.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost How The New Fall TV Season Reminds Me Of The Gospel.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Suffering Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Personal Responsibility Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost 20 Approaches to Battling Depression-Anxiety as Suffering.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Hellion’ is A Wild, Family-Driven Ride Worth Taking.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2′ is Cool, Uncommitted.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost “Kidnapped for Christ” Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Talking about cancer on WFAA’s ‘Two Chairs’ series.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Get Excited: New ‘Believe Me’ Trailer Validates Everything We Thought.
- solomon david published the blogpost Micromax Canvas Nitro Launched for Rs 12,990 in India.
- solomon david published the blogpost 20 Mobile (iOS, Android) App & Web Prototyping Tools – Part2.