Staying Connected • Ephesians 6:21-24
Paul sends word of his current situation (and probably the Ephesian letter as well) by a common friend, Tychicus. Paul sends this friend to encourage their hearts. In the ancient world, the heart was not thought to be the center of emotions but of the will. From the heart one determined who he was and how he lived his life. Paul wants to encourage his readers in the living of their lives. This is about more than sentimentalism. Paul, even though he was in prison, continued to maintain communion with his brothers and sisters in Ephesus through the mediation of his beloved friend and co-laborer Tychicus. By this bond, the Ephesian believers can serve and love Paul, and he in turn can serve and encourage them.
Neither Paul, nor Tychicus, nor the brothers and sisters in Ephesus allowed a difficult situation to break their communion. They did what was necessary to continue loving and serving one another. I wonder how this effort compares with the efforts most of us make to maintain a close and genuine communion with one another in our congregation. How easily we drift away from others, pursuing our own dreams and projects. How easily we withdraw our families from the broader fellowship of the family of Christ. It is easy to think of the congregation, of the church, as being there simply to help me when I need something. They are there to visit me when I am sick, to pray for me when I am in trouble, to entertain me with music and a sermon on Sunday morning, to love on me whenever I decide to show up. But how fiercely do I guard that communion with fellow believers? How hard do I strive to remain closely connected to others in the Body of Christ? How much of my life is geared toward serving and loving my brothers and sisters at church?
I will be preaching from Ephesians 6:21-24 in our service this coming Sunday, February 19, 2012. This message will conclude our Series: God's Plan for Our Families. Worship begins at 10:45 am. Come and join us, 3201 W 15th St. Plano, TX 75075. Video and audio of the sermon is posted during the week at our website: www.pcbcplano.org. To access the messages directly, click here.
- Scarlet Bluefield published the blogpost Ancho Chicken and Black Bean Salad with Cliantro-Lime Dressing.
- John Rutledge published the article How Kent Brantly Survived Ebola: Intense Medical Care — and Prayer.
- Brad Russell published the article What Atticus Finch Taught Me About Watching the News.
- Brad Russell published the article My Whitebread, Middle-Class Opinions About Ferguson Just Matter.
- Brad Russell published the article 'A Christian Survivor Guide' | Ed Cyzewski [Book Review].
- Brad Russell published the article 8 Reasons Young Leadership Is Essential to Your Organization Now.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Know where you’ll park before heading to McLane Stadium.
- Brad Russell published the article What I Learned from Creating 100 Sermon Bumpers in One Year.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Headlines: Breakfast debate, instant noodles, Ebola recovery.
- Jim McNeely published the blogpost The Logos Made Flesh, Full of Grace and Truth — John 1:14.
- Jennifer Cote published the blogpost Vegetarian Black Bean Enchiladas w/Mexican-style Red Sauce.
- John Peterson published the blogpost Are You Feeling Trapped? Learn This One Secret to Finding Freedom.
- Brad Russell published the article 'Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus' | Nabeel Qureshi [Book Review].
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Workplace Christians: The Engine for How the Gospel Spreads.
- Deb Wolf published the blogpost Blessings, Moments, and Love Around the Blogosphere.
- Brad Russell published the article 'New Monasticism' | Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove [Book Review].
- Bo Bartlett uploaded a photo
- Bo Bartlett uploaded a photo
- Nils Smith published the blogpost My Interview with William Vanderbloemen discussing NEXT.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost My Reflections on the Events in Ferguson in Light of Miroslav Volf.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost The App That Will Change How You Do Youth Ministry.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost One Vital Question that will Transform Your Teaching.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost Use This Automation Hack to Archive Your Social Media Life – Reade Milner.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 10 Of The Biggest Lies Students Hear Before They Get To College.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 40 Leadership Quotes And Lessons From When The Game Stands Tall.
- Eric Arch just moved in. Take time to say hey.