The Breath of God • Acts 2:1-11
Here we have the actual moment the disciples have been waiting for. Even though it was expected, it still arrives with suddenness and surprise. No one knew exactly what to expect. After ten days of nothing out of the ordinary, the extraordinary breaks into their morning.
We will find out later that at 9 am they were all gathered already. Perhaps it was the fact that it was a feast day and no one was working anyway that explains how they could all be gathered at such an early time of the day.
The first thing Luke mentions is the sound. It was the sound of a mighty rushing wind, a powerful wind. It isn’t actually a wind. There is no destruction described. But the sound of that wind filled the house through and through. The house they were all gathered in was filled with the sound of a mighty rushing wind. It is interesting to note that this same word wind is used in the LXX, the Greek translation of the Old Testament that was so widely used in the first century, in Genesis 2:7. In describing the creation of humankind, God forms a man out of the dust of the earth and breathes the wind of life into him. Once again, that wind, that breath of God brings life to humankind. There is a creation aspect to what God is doing here. In the giving of the Holy Spirit, God is giving new life, rebirth, eternal living. This gift will eternally transform those who receive it.
Charles McLeod, our Associate Pastor, will be preaching from Acts 2:1-11 in our service this coming Sunday, March 18, 2012. Worship begins at 10:45 am. Come and join us, 3201 W 15th St. Plano, TX 75075. Video and audio of the sermon is posted during the week at our website: www.pcbcplano.org. To access the messages directly, click here.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Meet Worship leader Bridgett Kern, listen to new single.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 7 Habits Of An Unhealthy Culture vs. 7 Habits Of A Healthy Culture.
- Edgar Galdamez published the blogpost The Life of a Pastor: Service, Stress, Solitude, Sacrifice.
- George Bullard published the blogpost Are Millennials Different than Baby Boomers 40 Years Ago?.
- Dave Dunham published the blogpost A Review of “Loss of Sadness” by Allan Horwitz and Jerome Wakefield.
- Patricia Hunter published the blogpost Labor Day::thankful for the gift of work and the labor of love....
- Lee Sah Lim published the blogpost Bangkok IV: Damnoen Saduak Floating Market And MBK Center.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Psalm 88 Sermon Follow Up: “Will Life Ever Get Better?”.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Are You Engaged With Teenagers Where They’re Growing Spiritually?.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 5 Roles Youth Workers Play In The Lives Of Teenagers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 6 Tips for Creating Structure and Boundaries in Ministry.
- Kelly Balarie published the blogpost Bible Verses for Perfectionists: Finding Your True Worth.
- solomon david published the blogpost 6 Must to Have Skills That Every Magento Store Developer Should Consider.
- solomon david published the blogpost Cloud Gaming Fun With Microsoft’s DeLorean Available Soon.
- solomon david published the blogpost 6 Amazing Paid iPhone Applications that Available for Free Right Now.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Tim Ferriss on the Importance of Being Unconventional.
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost Journey To The High Places: On The Shores of Loneliness (Week 7).
- Adam Smith published the blogpost Labor Day, Your Marriage, and Your Family – Jackie Bledsoe.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost How We Got Here: Live Alive Guest Post by Jordan Stroman.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 14 Practices Of Senior Pastors Who Grow Great Churches.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Are Getting Pickier About The Brands They Display On Their Clothes.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost Two Prayers That Will Inspire And Provoke The Soul.
- Martin KnoxGood bye, Faith Village. Thank you, Brad Russell, for what you have contributed to the work of the Kingdom.
- Greg Flagg published the blogpost Prayer for the Twelfth Sunday after Pentecost (Ordinary Time).
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Florida City Makes It Illegal to Wear Your Pants Too Low.