Preach Better Sermons
If you missed the webcast, here are some highlights (not complete notes or many quotes) from some of my favorite preachers (who are also still learning).
- Plan Ahead.
- "Communicating for A Change" - Andy Stanley (great book for communicators)
- 40 messages per year. How do you decide what to say?
- Read to hear from God, not to find sermons.
- Preach out of the overflow of your heart.
- Keep track of thought 'kernels' (evernote)
- Find great visuals
- Plan with a team of people with various points of view.
- Don't put too much stock what fans and foes say - listen to friends.
- Let the Bible drive the message.
- Be personal - share your life through stories to remove barriers.
- Don't just share someone else's amazing story - build common ground by sharing your story.
- Where does your experience overlap your listeners' life experience?
- Share honestly - don't just make stuff up.
- Communicate to the broken.
- Think about how different people will hear what you're saying
- How will the hear what God wants them to hear?
- Communicate the Word.
- Preaching is not about me - not about the listener - it's about Jesus.
- Be sure to use language that everyone will understand.
- Don't water stuff down - but explain what you mean!
- Communicate for Next Steps
- Can people see the connection with real life?
- Don't cop out & be lazy in preparation - this stuff is important!
- Park in one passage, don't just jump all over the place and lose people.