Book Review: Heroes And Monsters
[Book Review] If you’re grappling with life’s inconsistencies and trials, if you’re searching for an encounter with something real, if you’re craving a story that’s just a wee bit odd…
This book is for you.
My author friend Josh Riebock did it again. His sophomore release is a memoir of his life.
Let me say that it’s so comforting to know that as the story of our life continues so does the pain. This is not comforting. But–the fact that Josh was willing to go there–and share, is!
I don’t want to ruin his story for you. Instead, here are a few of my FAVORITE quotes from the book. Isn’t he an amazing author?
If you would like to win a copy of Heroes And Monsters, please leave a comment on this blog.
“Imagination is considered a form of genius in our family.”
“I don’t understand, but understanding something isn’t a prerequisite to feeling it We don’t have to understand things in order to be affected by them. I may not understand any of this stuff with my dad, my family. But I feel all of it.”
“We didn’t know what we wanted. Sometimes I wonder if anyone really does…I guess it’s true what they say: if you don’t know what you want to fill your life with, there’s a good chance you’re going to fill it with everything that you don’t–.”
“Everyone tells me that wandering is bad. But is there ever a time when I’m supposed to wander? I’m hoping there is. I’m hoping that sometimes it’s only through wandering that we can find our way. Right now, that’s the best I can do.”
“I was hoping that our love would act as an elixir and make all of this baggage go away, but it hasn’t. Love hasn’t fixed my issues, it’s exposed them, exposed me to the reality that I don’t trust anyone–and with good reason, right? Right!”
“Love is a force furious enough to require a conscience, and trust is that conscience–the only thing that keeps love from killing, because without trust, love murders.”
“Like most people, I’m afraid to be weird, so I’m always concealing my quirks, which is a shame. Our quirks are the very things that draw people to us…Without them, we’re boring. Hide you’re quirks and you’re a Volvo.”
“Love without communication is guessing. To love is to be intentional.”
“How is it possible to spend all these years with myself and yet understand so little of who I am? This is just another answer that I don’t have.”
“Why is it that I struggle so much to enjoy people for who they are? Why, if I’m so passionate about not conforming, do I press others to conform to me? And why am I so sure I’d enjoy people more if they were like me, when I don’t even like myself?”
“But I do want a mission, an expedition, a quest, something that I must do. I do want a fiery ring that I must take to Mordor…Because if I don’t have that, what am I here for?”
“My dream can’t live without her. Dreams can’t live alone. Sharing our dreams with others may risk destroying them, but without sharing them, we destroy them ourselves. Most dreams aren’t murdered. Most dreams commit suicide.”
“Life isn’t just about me finishing what I started. No, no, it’s about [God] finishing in me what he started.”
“All good things must come to a beginning.”
Don’t forget to purchase a copy of Heroes And Monsters on Amazon.
*Heroes and Monsters was given to me as a review copy. While I did not pay for the book, the review is completely my own. Two thumbs up!*
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Are You Engaged With Teenagers Where They’re Growing Spiritually?.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 5 Roles Youth Workers Play In The Lives Of Teenagers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 6 Tips for Creating Structure and Boundaries in Ministry.
- Kelly Balarie published the blogpost Bible Verses for Perfectionists: Finding Your True Worth.
- solomon david published the blogpost 6 Must to Have Skills That Every Magento Store Developer Should Consider.
- solomon david published the blogpost Cloud Gaming Fun With Microsoft’s DeLorean Available Soon.
- solomon david published the blogpost 6 Amazing Paid iPhone Applications that Available for Free Right Now.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Tim Ferriss on the Importance of Being Unconventional.
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost Journey To The High Places: On The Shores of Loneliness (Week 7).
- Adam Smith published the blogpost Labor Day, Your Marriage, and Your Family – Jackie Bledsoe.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost How We Got Here: Live Alive Guest Post by Jordan Stroman.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 14 Practices Of Senior Pastors Who Grow Great Churches.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Are Getting Pickier About The Brands They Display On Their Clothes.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost Two Prayers That Will Inspire And Provoke The Soul.
- Martin KnoxGood bye, Faith Village. Thank you, Brad Russell, for what you have contributed to the work of the Kingdom.
- Greg Flagg published the blogpost Prayer for the Twelfth Sunday after Pentecost (Ordinary Time).
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Florida City Makes It Illegal to Wear Your Pants Too Low.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost MTV Bloodstained Hypocrisy of Hollywood’s Violence Profiteers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Marine Just Issued An Epic Challenge To The Black Community And The Ferguson Rioters.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Who Skimp On Sleep May Face Later Obesity Risk.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Study: Parental Incarceration May Be Worse Than Divorce.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Video Helps Gay Teen Disowned By Christian Parents Raise $90,000.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments | Do You Pick a Church Like You Pick A Restaurant?.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments | Do You Pick a Church Like You Pick A Restaurant?.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Don't you know you aren't supposed to drink the water in Mexico?.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost There's trouble in Paradise... and I've lost interest.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Expectant Parents by Suzanne Hadley Gosselin | Giveaway, Blog Tour, & Publicity.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Expectant Parents by Suzanne Hadley Gosselin | Giveaway, Blog Tour, & Publicity.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Baylor Scott & White hospitals planning to align with Cleveland Clinic.
- James Vest just moved in. Take time to say hey.