Book Review: Heroes And Monsters
[Book Review] If you’re grappling with life’s inconsistencies and trials, if you’re searching for an encounter with something real, if you’re craving a story that’s just a wee bit odd…
This book is for you.
My author friend Josh Riebock did it again. His sophomore release is a memoir of his life.
Let me say that it’s so comforting to know that as the story of our life continues so does the pain. This is not comforting. But–the fact that Josh was willing to go there–and share, is!
I don’t want to ruin his story for you. Instead, here are a few of my FAVORITE quotes from the book. Isn’t he an amazing author?
If you would like to win a copy of Heroes And Monsters, please leave a comment on this blog.
“Imagination is considered a form of genius in our family.”
“I don’t understand, but understanding something isn’t a prerequisite to feeling it We don’t have to understand things in order to be affected by them. I may not understand any of this stuff with my dad, my family. But I feel all of it.”
“We didn’t know what we wanted. Sometimes I wonder if anyone really does…I guess it’s true what they say: if you don’t know what you want to fill your life with, there’s a good chance you’re going to fill it with everything that you don’t–.”
“Everyone tells me that wandering is bad. But is there ever a time when I’m supposed to wander? I’m hoping there is. I’m hoping that sometimes it’s only through wandering that we can find our way. Right now, that’s the best I can do.”
“I was hoping that our love would act as an elixir and make all of this baggage go away, but it hasn’t. Love hasn’t fixed my issues, it’s exposed them, exposed me to the reality that I don’t trust anyone–and with good reason, right? Right!”
“Love is a force furious enough to require a conscience, and trust is that conscience–the only thing that keeps love from killing, because without trust, love murders.”
“Like most people, I’m afraid to be weird, so I’m always concealing my quirks, which is a shame. Our quirks are the very things that draw people to us…Without them, we’re boring. Hide you’re quirks and you’re a Volvo.”
“Love without communication is guessing. To love is to be intentional.”
“How is it possible to spend all these years with myself and yet understand so little of who I am? This is just another answer that I don’t have.”
“Why is it that I struggle so much to enjoy people for who they are? Why, if I’m so passionate about not conforming, do I press others to conform to me? And why am I so sure I’d enjoy people more if they were like me, when I don’t even like myself?”
“But I do want a mission, an expedition, a quest, something that I must do. I do want a fiery ring that I must take to Mordor…Because if I don’t have that, what am I here for?”
“My dream can’t live without her. Dreams can’t live alone. Sharing our dreams with others may risk destroying them, but without sharing them, we destroy them ourselves. Most dreams aren’t murdered. Most dreams commit suicide.”
“Life isn’t just about me finishing what I started. No, no, it’s about [God] finishing in me what he started.”
“All good things must come to a beginning.”
Don’t forget to purchase a copy of Heroes And Monsters on Amazon.
*Heroes and Monsters was given to me as a review copy. While I did not pay for the book, the review is completely my own. Two thumbs up!*
- Andrew MasonCreating A Small Group Curriculum Map by Ben Reed http://www.smallgroupchurches.com/creating-a-small-group-curriculum-map/
- Marcella WoodridgeThe longer I live the more I know I need GOD leading my life every step of the way.
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia Carter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May Jesus Christ Be The Ultimate Treasure We Always Seek by Debbie Harris..
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Father Who Can We Graciously And Humbly Walk Beside Today Just To Love by Debbie Harris.
- Bryce Johnson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 13 Resources For Ministry Leaders Who Struggle with Porn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Expert Reveals Biggest Concern About Youngsters And Social Media.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Half (54%) Of US Teens Think Life Would Be Better Without Social Media.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Roy Lichtenstein's Most Popular Painting is Displayed.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost After Confronting Campus Bully, HS Football Player Gets Suspended.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Conservative Student Is Victim Of ‘Racist Rape Apologist’ Attack Fliers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Yik Yak app Putting Teens Behind Bars, Police Warn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Hearing That Things Can Change Helps Teens Dodge Depression.
- Andrew Shivers just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost GIVEAWAY: Win a Framed “The Fault in Our Stars” FULL SIZE Movie Poster [Winner Chosen].
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘Boxtrolls:’ Incredible Animation, Charmless Story.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Dad Lip-Syncs Daughter's Tantrum.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost SOTW: ‘Chasing After The Wind’ by Alan Powell (Free Friday Download).
- Matt Perman published the blogpost The Drive Video: If You Want Engagement, Self-Direction is Better.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW/INTERVIEW: The Unexpected Earl by Philippa Jane Keyworth.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 55: Gary Black Jr. – Co-author of The Divine Conspiracy Continued.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ‘Believe Me': Alum’s thought-provoking film now in theaters.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost Stress Kills!!! Here's 3 Ways To Do Something About It.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost How The New Fall TV Season Reminds Me Of The Gospel.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Suffering Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Personal Responsibility Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost 20 Approaches to Battling Depression-Anxiety as Suffering.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Hellion’ is A Wild, Family-Driven Ride Worth Taking.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2′ is Cool, Uncommitted.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost “Kidnapped for Christ” Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Talking about cancer on WFAA’s ‘Two Chairs’ series.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Get Excited: New ‘Believe Me’ Trailer Validates Everything We Thought.
- solomon david published the blogpost Micromax Canvas Nitro Launched for Rs 12,990 in India.