Hispanic Baptist Convention, Buckner Sign Missions Covenant
By Russ Dilday
Buckner News Service
DALLAS — Leaders of the Hispanic Baptist Convention of Texas and Buckner International met Jan. 12 at the Buckner ministry offices to sign agreement that both groups say will help facilitate missions enrichment programs and services for the Hispanic Christian community. Jesse Rincones, president of the 1,100-congregation HBCT, co-signed the “Missions Covenant” document with Buckner President Albert L. Reyes.
In general, the covenant gives each group a higher profile in the other’s missions messaging, offers added opportunities for convention members to participate in volunteer missions service, and seeks to enhance the work of Buckner’s Shoes for Orphan Souls humanitarian aid drive.
Reyes said the covenant will give Buckner “a more intentional and deliberate focus on the importance of the local church and on our mission,” adding, “This will connect us not just to churches, but churches with a common Hispanic background, language and culture. There are many things we’ll do to tap that background in countries and areas with similar cultures.”
Rincones, who also serves as pastor of Alliance Church in Lubbock, Texas, said the agreement is significant to the convention because of “the rich experience and resources Buckner brings to our congregations.”
“For many years, Hispanic congregations have been the recipients of Baptist missions efforts,” he said. “Now we’re seeing a change in mindset and we’re looking at ourselves as collaborators and initiators of mission efforts. The training and the opportunities we’ll receive in this collaboration are going to allow our congregations to speed up the process in being missions initiators.”
Rolando Rodriguez, director of Hispanic work for the Baptist General Convention of Texas, agreed. “It’s a new day for Convención, a brand new opportunity. For many years, Hispanic churches have been considered a mission field – now they’ve become a missions force.”
- Adam Smith published the blogpost The Key to Becoming a Better Writer: Read More – Reade Milner.
- daniel oghali created a new gallery
- daniel oghali just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost A Lifetime Impact: A Lesson in Integrity by Kim O’Brien.
- George Krickl published the blogpost Teleios: Four Things to Understand About Being Perfect.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 21 Leadership Quotes And Lessons From Guardians Of The Galaxy.
- Manuel Corzo just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeremy Morgan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘Danny Gokey Getaway Contest’ – all you need to know about it.
- Kelley Mathews published the article For Couples Getting Married: Don’t Save Yourself for your Wedding Night!.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 'Kidnapped for Christ' Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 'Tables in the Wilderness' | Preston Yancey [Excerpt].
- Robin Norgren published the blogpost Spark and Inspire: You have the Idea You just Need a Little Help.
- Jonathan Pearson published the blogpost Next Up Podcast: 3 Ways to Live & Lead in The Moment (Episode 6).
- Kelley Mathews published the article Measuring Progress in Eliminating Teen Entitlement.
- Linn Garcia just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Thom Turner published the blogpost 4 Concepts Back To The Future Teaches Us About Worship.
- John Bucher published the blogpost SAINT GLADYS? My LATEST POST on HBO’s WATCHINGTHELEFTOVERS.com.
- India Fredericks just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Michelle Burger just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brian Niece > Mission WritersMight be helpful to someone :: http://www.brianniece.com/2014/07/31/god-brokenness-archives/
- George Bullard published the blogpost Is the Church Too Busy Attending Meetings and Talking With Itself?.
- David Brown just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Dave Dunham published the blogpost Christian Reflections on Lust, Modesty, and Beauty (Part 4): Modesty Culture.
- Linda Kardamis published the blogpost Should You Keep Teaching After You Start a Family?.
- Felicia Crawford just moved in. Take time to say hey.