Little By Little
Sometimes the phrase, “Hindsight is 20/20” just ticks me off. I have a love/hate relationship with it.
I appreciate looking back on a season of life and having “aha” moments, but I always wish that I would be able to see those things as they are happening.
We do learn from our mistakes as we look back on them. We gain wisdom from seeing clearly what God might have been up to as we reflect, but I just wonder why it takes looking back some times.
The grieving process is one of those ongoing things in my life where I usually have to look back to make sense of my heart.
Even now, I shake my head at the ways the wounds of grief manifest itself in my responses, fears, insecurities, and doubts.
I wonder why doesn’t God reveal the total effects of pain and hurt in our lives all at once? Why am I still just realizing some of the effects of pain – pain that seems so long ago – playing out in my everyday responses?
I find myself just asking, “God why not just show me? Why not just show me the effects of pain all at once when it happens?”
It is in these times of asking that I remember a story in Exodus where God has a similar conversation with Moses. God is explaining to Moses that he is going to lead His people from the desert into the promise land. He talks about all of the foreign tribes and lands they will conquer to take over the promise land.
Just when you are getting all psyched up from the list of successes God is going bring for His people, he adds in a little part that deserves a double take. It’s one of those parts that should be italicized and called “fine print.”
God tells Moses, “But I will not drive them out in a single year, because the land would become desolate and the wild animals too numerous for you. Little by little I will drive them out before you, until you have increased enough to take possession of the land.”
All of those great victories He just spent time talking about in the verses before are not going to happen all at once!?
I am learning that God is a God of process. It is because of His grace that we do not get to feel or even see the effects of everything all at once. It would be too much to handle.
We need His grace of the “little by little” in our lives. I may throw tantrums for understanding things through hindsight, but God cares about my abilities to handle things.
Little by little, God is doing something in us.
Little by little we get to the place of being able to take “possession” of something going on in our hearts and lives.
Little by little is where wisdom and understanding comes in.
Little by little is His grace for us.
What is something going on in your life that you wish God would show you more about what’s happening?
Filed under: Daily Thoughts
- Adam Smith published the blogpost Proxy Measures for Leadership Decisions – Glenn Brooke.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 47: Carlos Whittaker, Musician, & Author of Moment Maker.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost What A Real Life Skydiving Accident Teaches Church Leaders.
- Kendall Lyons published the blogpost “Kid Eccentric” Comics: “Intelligence Breaches for Kids”.
- Jon StallingsMy message from Sunday on “The Holy Spirit Gift of Discerning of Spirits” is now online http://www.lifechurchconyers.org/sermons/the-holy-spirit-gift-of-discerning-of-spirits/
- Tessa Donovan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Kelley Mathews published the article An Interview with Sam Hodges About the New Griefshare.
- Kelley Mathews published the article Picking the Right Worship Songs for Your Student Ministry.
- Jed Davis published the blogpost Customer Experience & Church, Why These Two Should Marry.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost “Kidnapped for Christ” Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Susan Knowlen-Wolk just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Kelley Mathews published the article Visions of Glory: Our Sons’ Unhealthy Fantasy of Being Pro-Athletes.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor among nation’s ‘Great Colleges to Work For’ for 5th time in 6 years.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Concussions should remain a top concern for young athletes.
- Sheila Ann created a new gallery
- Sheila Ann just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Anna Brown published the blogpost 5 Essential Tips to keep your iPhone and iPad Secured.
- Wayne Stiles published the blogpost Quote from Greg Mckeown on our best asset in life. [Quote].
- Leigh Powers published the blogpost Inspired to Hold Up the Sky: Blogging for Compassion.
- Steven Seagraves just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost The Written Word: Kisses of Heaven Etched on My Heart.
- Marie Trotter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Is Andi's final pick the dramatic decision ABC teases it to be?.