What Will You Do?
We’ve looked at our identity as children of God and how this is ultimately who we are. We’ve looked at the underlying motivation of glorifying God that should drive our efforts. Now it is time to look at what it is that we will actually do. This is the actual “work.”
I believe this is ultimately guided by a couple of factors:
First what did God make you to do? Each of us has been blessed with gifts, talents, aptitudes and experiences that will open doors as to what our “work” will be. I believe there was something each of us was made to do and when many different people do the many different things we were created to do in community, we form the body of Christ. So the first step is finding what God has created us to do and doing it to His glory, while seeking out others to share and collaborate with.
Next what are you passionate about? I believe God makes us passionate about the (positive) things He wants us to do. For example if you see something that makes you say someone should do something about that, especially if that thought keeps you up at night. Chances are the someone who should do something is you.
Next what is the need? Ultimately I believe this needs to be secondary but it is vital. Sometimes we need to go beyond our giftedness and so something just because it needs to be done. Sometimes someone needs help right now and simply can’t wait for a uniquely gifted person to show up. Sometimes “you gotta do what you gotta do.” I believe in these moments God gives us the grace to do what must be done. In some cases, God will even use these times to show you a gift and a plan you didn’t recognize.
There is a very big caution here though. We all have a temptation toward self-importance that forces us to just keep on taking on one more thing. I’m not convinced this is Godly but rather becomes a pride issue. Working outside our giftedness is okay for a time, but we should always be looking for the person for whom the activity will be their “sweet spot” and when we find that person we should step aside and let them take over.
Ultimately we will do our best, most God-glorifying work in our gifting. We need to seek out that gifting and develop and use it to God’s glory. We need not wait until we are perfect. Rather we need to give God our best today praying and believing and knowing that giving our best today will help us to be better tomorrow.
What will you do?
- Madyson Russell uploaded a photo
- Brad Russell published the article The Cross — The New (Old) Scorecard for Church Leadership.
- Jon Stallings"Foursquare Prioritizes Urban Evangelism" @WeAreFoursquare http://buff.ly/1rDJx2L
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor Line Camp sets participation record for 8th straight year.
- Jessie Williams just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book for July 25th: The Calling of Congregational Leadership: Being, Knowing, Doing Ministry http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/0827205317
- George BullardFree TCP eBook July 25th Only! People and Factors Killing Your Congregationhttp://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00BEV0QPS
- George BullardJuly 25th: Transform Congregations By Encouraging a Deep Spiritual and MIssional Journey #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/07/july-25th-transform-congregations-by-encouraging-a-deep-spiritual-and-missional-journey-365ssiftc.html
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 4 Of The Most Important Words For Making Disciples.
- Cheyenne Tomlison published the blogpost Why My Child is More Important Than My "Mothering".
- Jon Stallings“May I say to all I meet, I am journeying toward the Lord’s given place, come with me for your good.” – The Valley of Vision
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘Love Displayed’ by Justin Kintzel (Free download + Video).
- Ron Edmondson published the blogpost How Some of the Best Discoveries Are Made – In Life and Leadership.
- Cheyenne Tomlison just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost MP3 of SBC Panel Discussion on “Mental Illness & the Mission of the Church”.
- Anna Brown published the blogpost 5 Content Marketing Facts That Will Make You Feel Shocked.
- Wayne Stiles published the blogpost I’m Writing a New Book, and I’d Like Your Opinion [Survey].
- Mark McIntyre published the blogpost Christianity Boosts Education, Quality of Life in Asian Countries.
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Mentors, Millennials and Monthly Favorites in This Week’s Friday Faves.
- Barry Pearman published the blogpost Do You Have A Soul Believer? 3 Qualities To Look For.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost No Time for Social Media? Hire a Virtual Assistant – Reade Milner.
- George Krickl published the blogpost The Plow: Moving from Biblical Examples to Our Ministry Manifesto.
- Janet Ridgeway published the blogpost Get Clean With Cottonelle And Save With A High Value Coupon.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Jet City's 'Wise Guys' - Squeaky Clean Show with F-Bombs.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Emote Control - Part 8 - Depression - Emote Control.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Emote Control - Part 9 - Cultivating Godly Emotions(1) - Emote Control.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Emote Control - Part 10 - Cultivating Godly Emotions(2) - Emote Control.
- Brad Russell published the audio Social Media Mastery with Nils Smith | Pro Church Podcast.
- Brad Russell published the video No Man Is An Island | Tenth Avenue North [Music Video].
- Brad Russell published the video Promoting Charities on Social Media | Reggie Escalante.
- Brad Russell published the video The Difference Between 'Studying' and 'Reading' the Bible | Eugene Peterson.
- Brian Niece published the blogpost Street Theology Vol. 1 :: Lecrae “My Whole Life Changed”.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost The Essential Art of Saying "No" and How You Can Get Better At It.
- Kelley Mathews published the article How to Make Your Wedding Day the Best Day of Your Life.
- Mike Kim published the blogpost Free Webinar: How To Write An Effective Support Letter.
- Brad Russell published the article 'The Good of Politics' | James W. Skillen [Book Review].
- Brad Russell published the article 4 Questions to Ask When Creating A Church Social Media Position.