Making 21st Century gods Irrelevant
Most people in society would quickly deny that they worship a false god. While we may not worship statues, many other possessions and practices have captured our hearts in a posture of worship. It doesn’t take long for money, jobs, hobbies, fame, reputation, and stuff to sit on the throne of our hearts.
So what would happen if we made these “gods” irrelevant? I’m not saying that we don’t need money, or that we should quit our jobs, or that it’s a sin to have a hobby. And I’m not suggesting that your reputation is pointless or that it’s wrong to have material possessions. I’m simply asking, “What would happen if our love and commitment to Christ dethroned our 21st century gods and transformed how people view the Christ we serve?” Regi Campbell, author of Mentor Like Jesus, captured this really well when he wrote:
About 350 years after Christ, the Roman emperor Julian (AD 332-363) wanted to reinstitute faithfulness to the pagan religions of Rome but struggled because Christians were doing such good things for people, even strangers, that they rendered the Roman gods irrelevant.
Wouldn’t it be cool to render the pagan gods of the twenty-first century irrelevant by having millions of Christ followers become so genuine in their faith that they changed the world with their kindness, mercy, and generosity?
What in your life has become a god? What is preventing your faith in Christ from transforming all of who you are and mobilizing you to make a difference in the world? As Rick Warren observed, “The church has amputated its hands and its feet, and all that’s left is its mouth.” It’s time that the beauty of the risen Christ make our 21st century gods irrelevant.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost 20 years of Jars of Clay, a look back at the Christian band.
- Brenda McCalley just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost John Legend gives surprise appearance/performance in local church.
- Biancco Gardner just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Kelley Mathews published the article What If Your Kids Don’t Think Christianity is Cool?.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW: Granny Skewers a Scoundrel by Julie Seedorf.
- Gary Thomas published the blogpost How to have more energy for your marriage and family.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ESPN rolls cameras as Baylor alums’ 12-year-old son’s dream comes true.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 5 Ways Churches Fail At Social Media & How To Do It Well.
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book For July 23rd: Spiritual Leadership In A Secular Age: Building Bridges Instead Of Barriers http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/0827234619
- Jerry Jarrett just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Pete HouptThen call on me when you are in trouble, and I will rescue you, and you will give me glory. (NLT) -Psalm 50:15
Who do you run to when you are in trouble? Perhaps your spouse, parents, or a good friend? The problem with these people is they are human and can't always rescue you or know what is best for you. God says he will rescue you... not maybe, not perhaps, but He WILL rescue you. How comforting it is to know God has your back. It's only fitting we respond with thankfulness and give God the honor He deserves. Are you in trouble? Then call on the Lord, He will be there.
- George BullardFree TCP eBook July 23rd Only! Leaving, Staying, and Becoming Well Following a Lose/Leave Conflict in Your Congregation http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00BO0L8SS
- George BullardJuly 23rd: Transform Congregations By Asking One Another the Right Questions #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/07/july-23rd-transform-congregations-by-asking-one-another-the-right-questions-365ssiftc.html
- Kayla Bentz uploaded a photo
- Kayla Bentz created a new gallery
- Mitzi Smith published the blogpost 10 BEST Back to School Movies for Family Fun Night.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost George W. Bush’s knee surgery highlights fast joint replacement options.
- Ron Edmondson published the blogpost 10 Things I’d Do Differently if I Weren’t a Pastor Today.
- Kayla Bentz just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Children 12 And Under Are Fastest Growing Group Of Unaccompanied Minors At U.S. Border.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Flashback: 15 Sites and Apps Kids Are Heading to Beyond Facebook.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Why Seven Hours of Sleep Might Be Better Than Eight.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Help for Couples Recovering from Adultery or Pornography: Video Tandem 8 of 9.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost 52 Great Questions to Ask Your Direct Reports – Glenn Brooke.
- Jody Martin just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- George Krickl published the blogpost Poor in Spirit: Moses – The Circumstance Driven Leader.
- John Bucher published the blogpost MY LATEST on HBO’s SITE at WATCHINGTHELEFTOVERS.COM.
- Joni Foto just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- John Rutledge published the article Obama’s LGBT Federal Hiring Order Leaves Bush-era Religious Exemption in Place.