If I Could Go Back In Time
My friend, Mary Larmoyeux, asked this question on her grandparenting blog, Grand Connection. She explained, "Sometimes I wonder what I would do differently if I could somehow turn back the hands of time and be a young mother again ... knowing what has taken me decades to learn." Mary also asked her readers, "What would you do differently as a young mom ... knowing what you now know."
As a young mom, I often found myself worrying about many things. But when I faced the terminal illness of my dad in my early twenties, I came to experience the power of prayer to bring peace in the middle of a crisis.
At that time, I had a three-year-old son, and I was expecting my daughter. And as I cried out to God in my sorrow and grief, God calmed my heart and mind with a peace that I'd never experienced.
Phillippians 4: 6-7 says, "Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus" (NLT).
Although I’ve experienced the power of prayer to bring peace many times since my dad's death, often I still get caught up in the emotional cycle of worry. In fact, many times I've "begged the Lord to take (my worries) away. (Yet each) time (He) said, 'My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.' So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me … For when I am weak, then I am strong" (2 Corinthians 12:8-10 NLT).
If I could go back in time, I wish I could say that I would not worry so much. Yet I am well aware that this tendency toward worry keeps me "on my knees" and totally dependent upon God.
If you could go back in time, what would you change?
2008-2012 Karen Jordan
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost 'An Evening of One Acts': Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad.
- Nicole Webb published the blogpost re: an explanation from the crazy crying lady at the park.
- Nicole Webb published the blogpost re: when the hands and feet of God stink and hurt, respectively.
- Nicole Webb published the blogpost re: "christian" - better as a noun, not an adjective.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Christian band All Things New drops new EP ‘Attic Sessions’.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost Write Tribe Blog Carnival - What if You Were Not Afraid?.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May We Always Speak Words Of Life And Healing by Debbie Harris.
- lucy santoshey.. I am lucy...
- Jonalyn Fincher published the blogpost The Spiritual Practice of Friendship (not just Chemistry).
- lucy santos just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Janet Ridgeway published the blogpost Make Every Day A Celebration With Spellbinders Celebra’tions Collection + A Giveaway.
- Kelley Mathews published the article "Egalitarian" and "Complementarian": What's the Main Difference?.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost What killed the dinosaurs? Baylor geology researcher part of new study.
- John Bucher published the blogpost My Theories About Who Killed Gladys on HBO’s site Watchingtheleftovers.com.
- Jonathan Pearson published the blogpost Next Up Podcast: 3 Ways to Live & Lead in The Moment (Episode 6).
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book for July 30th: A Divine Assignment: The Missiology of Wendell Clay Somerville http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/1603500073
- George BullardFREE TCP eBook July 30th Only! Seeing Jesus in the City http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00AVJKOSS
- George BullardJuly 30th: Transform Congregations By Death and Resurrection #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/07/july-30th-transform-congregations-by-death-and-resurrection-365ssiftc.html
- Amy Young published the blogpost Pay it forward (part two — You must meet these people!).
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘There would be no point in faith if it wasn’t tested’ – Jennifer Hudson.
- Brad Andres published the blogpost Would Your Christianity Survive in Other Parts of the World?.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Don’t have your life all figured out? Then read this….
- Abigail Scott just moved in. Take time to say hey.