The “I don’t” list
At the Scorre conference last week, I was in a conversation about saying no and simplifying. One of my new friends said he made a list of things he no longer did–an “I don’t” list. Something about that struck me. It compelled me to look at my life and list the things I needed to say no to so that my yes could be more strategic and effective.
As I list my “don’ts,” I want you to take out a piece of scrap paper, or a journal, and write a list too. Would you be so kind to share some in the comments section of this post? And pass this post on to others who may need to make their own “I don’t” lists. I’d love to spark a revolution of No.
(Aside: In writing this, I’m not saying I can’t be prompted or interrupted by the Holy Spirit to do things. Sometimes we are called to clean toilets, to help others through problems that take much of our time, to be responsive. God’s leading trumps any list we make.)
Mary’s “I don’t” list:
- I haven’t been a room mom for my kids.
- I don’t do the kind of community where strangers live with us. (I used to think that was so cool, but then we lived in France and experienced that. I’m simply not the kind of person that can do that.)
- I don’t do tax accounting. (I could, but it’s time consuming, and I prefer someone else to bear the weight…paying of course).
- I don’t answer every email. (I used to. I can’t now. I have some replies I tailor to those who ask similar questions about how to get published.)
- I don’t cut my own hair (thank goodness). I do cut (and sometimes color) everyone’s hair in the family, which saves enough money for me to afford my own cut. I’ve cut some pretty awkward bangs on myself.
- I don’t speak for everyone who asks. I’ve come to a place where, if I’m going to leave my family for a period of a few days, there has to be compensation. I love them too much to leave, so if I do leave, I need to have it be worth my while.
- I don’t forward “please forward this” emails.
- I don’t shower. (Just checking if you’re reading this. Of course I do.)
- I don’t do harsh exercises that bear weight on my forearms. Because of so much typing, my right arm hurts, and doing push ups just makes things worse. Byproduct: I have lame biceps.
- I don’t eradicate every weed in my garden. I used to. But in the Texas heat, I almost feel like I should congratulate the weeds that thrive, plus I don’t want heat stroke.
- I don’t do triathlons from May to September for the same reason. One trip to the ambulance after my last one convinced me that Mary + swim-bike-running + 105 heat = Emergency services.
- I don’t clip coupons. (Boy did I used to. I also ran from store to store doing loss leaders sales. I wish I had time to do this, but I don’t. So I swallow my thrifty pride and made do with the closest store to my house.)
- I don’t work on Sundays. Of course, life careens into that sacred space, particularly on travel days. But on the whole, I try to rest. I’m a mess if I don’t.
- I don’t nag. (ha ha ha. This is aspirational, not operational. Again, checking to see if you’re reading this.)
- I typically don’t do layovers. Since I live in the DFW (Texas) area, I typically never have to have a layover. I truly don’t like changing planes.
- I don’t let my closet or drawers fill up. Instead, I donate.
- I don’t eat fast food or junk food. It makes me sick, and I can feel my tummy reject it. Honestly, I just don’t like it.
- I don’t mop my floors. (In my defense, I do have cleaning ladies come twice a month to help with this. Otherwise, we’d all stick to the tile floor.)
- I don’t respond to guilt. I used to. All the time. This is an area of growth for me.
How about you? What’s on your “I don’t list?” I can’t wait to hear from you!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia Carter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May Jesus Christ Be The Ultimate Treasure We Always Seek by Debbie Harris..
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Father Who Can We Graciously And Humbly Walk Beside Today Just To Love by Debbie Harris.
- Bryce Johnson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 13 Resources For Ministry Leaders Who Struggle with Porn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Expert Reveals Biggest Concern About Youngsters And Social Media.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Half (54%) Of US Teens Think Life Would Be Better Without Social Media.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Roy Lichtenstein's Most Popular Painting is Displayed.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost After Confronting Campus Bully, HS Football Player Gets Suspended.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Conservative Student Is Victim Of ‘Racist Rape Apologist’ Attack Fliers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Yik Yak app Putting Teens Behind Bars, Police Warn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Hearing That Things Can Change Helps Teens Dodge Depression.
- Andrew Shivers just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost GIVEAWAY: Win a Framed “The Fault in Our Stars” FULL SIZE Movie Poster [Winner Chosen].
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘Boxtrolls:’ Incredible Animation, Charmless Story.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Dad Lip-Syncs Daughter's Tantrum.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost SOTW: ‘Chasing After The Wind’ by Alan Powell (Free Friday Download).
- Matt Perman published the blogpost The Drive Video: If You Want Engagement, Self-Direction is Better.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW/INTERVIEW: The Unexpected Earl by Philippa Jane Keyworth.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 55: Gary Black Jr. – Co-author of The Divine Conspiracy Continued.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ‘Believe Me': Alum’s thought-provoking film now in theaters.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost Stress Kills!!! Here's 3 Ways To Do Something About It.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost How The New Fall TV Season Reminds Me Of The Gospel.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Suffering Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Personal Responsibility Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost 20 Approaches to Battling Depression-Anxiety as Suffering.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Hellion’ is A Wild, Family-Driven Ride Worth Taking.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2′ is Cool, Uncommitted.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost “Kidnapped for Christ” Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Talking about cancer on WFAA’s ‘Two Chairs’ series.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Get Excited: New ‘Believe Me’ Trailer Validates Everything We Thought.
- solomon david published the blogpost Micromax Canvas Nitro Launched for Rs 12,990 in India.
- solomon david published the blogpost 20 Mobile (iOS, Android) App & Web Prototyping Tools – Part2.