But Lord, I Don’t Want To Go To Africa
I do not want to go to Africa. Never have. Don’t ever expect to. My daughter’s boyfriend is going to India on a mission trip this summer and he is pumped up about it. He wants to go and feels the Lord leading him to do it.
Sometimes we act as though we have to go to Africa, India, Haiti or some other exotic, foreign land to serve the Lord What do we do when we don’t want to go to some international destination to serve Him?
He Gives Us The Picture As Needed
When Jesus called His disciples, he simply said, “Follow Me”. He did not tell them that he would send them out on a mission in teams of two. The closest he came was saying that he would make them fishers of men.
This is not much different from the Old Testament. The Lord did not give Abraham all of the details at once. Neither did He with Moses, David or much of anyone else. He told them what they needed to know at the right time.
You want to serve the Lord, but think that may involve Africa? It may. Or it may not.
He Gives Us The Tools We Need
The Lord told the disciples to take a few things with them. A tunic. A pair of sandals. A walking stick. Why? He wanted them to depend on God for their needs.
David faced Goliath with a slingshot.
Israel waited each day for manna for that day.
God simply wants us to depend on Him for what we need.
He Prepares Us His Ministry
The disciples went out and preached that men should repent. They cast out demons. They healed the sick.
They couldn’t do that before they followed Christ. He taught them how to “do ministry”. He gave them the power to cast out demons and heal. They were prepared by Christ for ministry.
David was a teenager when he was anointed king. It was years before he actually ascended to the throne.
It took Noah about one hundred years to build the ark.
Paul spent about fourteen years between meeting Christ on the Damascus Road and becoming a super apostle.
The bottom line is that if God calls you to go to Africa, He will place a desire to follow Him there. He will give you the tools you need for the ministry. He will prepare you to go. Then you can go to Africa. Or India. Or wherever He wants you to go.
Have you ever been afraid of what the Lord was calling you to do? Do you think you could never do what He wants you to do?
- Steve Perky published the blogpost How Can The Church Keep Up With The Changing Dimensions of Information? [Video].
- Kim Cedrick Matiga just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Pre-order @MaxLucado’s BEFORE AMEN and receive a FREE book.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost The latest Quilts of Love release - Hidden in the Stars - out today!.
- Paul Phillips just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor Twitter, Instagram accounts top 30,000 followers.
- Rick GibsonNew ways for churches and pastors use online technology to engage and stay engaged with members and the virtual community? Use an online learning platform to teach and train
- RIck Gibson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Cancer journey mural: public invited to help paint.
- Brad Russell uploaded a photo
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost True Guilt vs. False Guilt (And Why The Difference May Be Wrecking Your Life).
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 3 Things That Must Sync Together Or Ministry Will #FAIL.
- Elise Hilton published the blogpost Dilemmas, heartache and Monday mornin' quarterbackin'.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Kent State Univ. Blasts Red-Stained Sweatshirt Sold By Urban Outfitters.
- Amy Young published the blogpost 9 Ways I Have Been Mentored by People Who Didn’t Know They Were Mentoring Me.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Ministry is difficult…at least no one is shooting at you.
- Lara Krupicka published the blogpost An Excerpt From Bucket List Living For Moms (& Your Chance to Win a Kindle).
- Christen Price published the blogpost Five Tips for Moms of Flower Girls and Ring Bearers.
- George Bullard published the blogpost Shallow Congregations Only Take Off Their Shoes and Socks.
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost Journey To The High Places: Great Precipice Injury (Week 9).
- Adam Smith published the blogpost #036: Why Is It So Difficult To Be Honest With Ourselves?.
- tiffany schaper just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost Why I Failed At Being A Small Groups Pastor (And I’m OK With That).
- solomon david published the blogpost Samsung Introduces Galaxy Note 4 Along With Galaxy Note Edge & Gear VR.
- Michael Lee just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jarrod Flaming just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Mobley published the blogpost The Five, New Believers, and 1 Peter 1:13-16 This Week.
- JackIe Little just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Filled by the Exquisite Spirit Of Our Triune God by Debbie Harris.
- Wendy Terry just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Where Treetops Glisten by Tricia Goyer, Cara Putman, and Sarah Sundin.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Where Treetops Glisten by Tricia Goyer, Cara Putman, and Sarah Sundin.
- Claire Florine published the blogpost “I Feel You Girl”: Sexual Assault in Chicago, and Diana the Hunter of Bus Drivers.
- John Rutledge published the article Evangelical Group Wants Election-Year Conversation About Marriage Equality.