But Lord, I Don’t Want To Go To Africa
I do not want to go to Africa. Never have. Don’t ever expect to. My daughter’s boyfriend is going to India on a mission trip this summer and he is pumped up about it. He wants to go and feels the Lord leading him to do it.
Sometimes we act as though we have to go to Africa, India, Haiti or some other exotic, foreign land to serve the Lord What do we do when we don’t want to go to some international destination to serve Him?
He Gives Us The Picture As Needed
When Jesus called His disciples, he simply said, “Follow Me”. He did not tell them that he would send them out on a mission in teams of two. The closest he came was saying that he would make them fishers of men.
This is not much different from the Old Testament. The Lord did not give Abraham all of the details at once. Neither did He with Moses, David or much of anyone else. He told them what they needed to know at the right time.
You want to serve the Lord, but think that may involve Africa? It may. Or it may not.
He Gives Us The Tools We Need
The Lord told the disciples to take a few things with them. A tunic. A pair of sandals. A walking stick. Why? He wanted them to depend on God for their needs.
David faced Goliath with a slingshot.
Israel waited each day for manna for that day.
God simply wants us to depend on Him for what we need.
He Prepares Us His Ministry
The disciples went out and preached that men should repent. They cast out demons. They healed the sick.
They couldn’t do that before they followed Christ. He taught them how to “do ministry”. He gave them the power to cast out demons and heal. They were prepared by Christ for ministry.
David was a teenager when he was anointed king. It was years before he actually ascended to the throne.
It took Noah about one hundred years to build the ark.
Paul spent about fourteen years between meeting Christ on the Damascus Road and becoming a super apostle.
The bottom line is that if God calls you to go to Africa, He will place a desire to follow Him there. He will give you the tools you need for the ministry. He will prepare you to go. Then you can go to Africa. Or India. Or wherever He wants you to go.
Have you ever been afraid of what the Lord was calling you to do? Do you think you could never do what He wants you to do?
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost “Real Women Leading” iPad Mini Giveaway and “Leading with Values” Facebook Party 3/20!.
- Kelly Pigott published the blogpost Ashes, Tattoos, the Sign of the Cross, and my Friend Connie.
- Walter Bright published the blogpost Be thou removed: Prayer of a man they called “Consecrated Cobbler.
- George Krickl published the blogpost Poor in Spirit: Paul and Barnabas Discipleship Continued.
- Jennifer Collins just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Doris SwiftOur greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter.” ― D.L. Moody
- Doris SwiftEmerge from ordinary into extraordinary; rise above, set apart, walking in the plan as He directs the steps...
- Doris SwiftIf you're feeling stuck in your writing journey~remember, every new idea-every word written propels you forward
- Jon StallingsIf we focus our prayers just on Jesus delivering us from the trials of life, we have set up our own life as an idol
- Melcome Feldspar just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Leon Bloder published the blogpost Shouldn't All Christians Be Universalists At Heart?.
- Jennifer Alayo-AguilarI am so excited to be here. This is something new that I have never tried before. I am glad to be alive to witness this, a blog post check-out site for Christians around the country, the world to connect with one another. The mini-neighborhood is pretty good. Say prayers for me, my husband, and the rest of our family as we get our lives back together and get on the right track with Jesus Christ. Amen.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Livestream Simply Youth Ministry Conference be a part of it!.
- George BullardMarch 8th: Transform Congregations By Radical Missional Engagement #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/03/march-8th-transform-congregations-by-radical-missional-engagement-365ssiftc.html
- Jennifer Alayo-Aguilar just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Greg Winfield published the blogpost The Blessing of Struggle – Do You Know What You’re Made of?.
- Stephanie L Burr just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 10 Reasons Why Youth Ministry Is A Strategic Career Choice.
- Evan Nehring published the blogpost Announcement: Life Sentence Publishing Partnership.
- Matthew Tan published the blogpost "Justice, Unity & the Hidden Christ": Review in Ethika Politika.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost The Top 10 Leadership Posts I Read The Week Of March 3rd.
- Nathan Wheeler published the blogpost Prayer, a beautiful mistake: Atheism For Lent Part 1.
- Allen O'Brien published the blogpost Mark Driscoll’s Publishing Tactics Trigger A Golden Age For Christian Publishing.
- Brad Russell published the article FaithVillage Expands Church Partnerships with 10 New Features.
- GREG WHITAKER just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost How To Supercharge Your Productivity With Evernote.
- Jotham David Parker published the video Truth (Christian Dance Hymn. Full Song with Lyrics).
- Myra Lee just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- FRANK NADJOMBE created a new gallery
- FRANK NADJOMBE just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jewish Voice published the blogpost Woliso Population Plus One – Medical Missions in Ethiopia.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost Although Amazon is Sold Out, Barnes and Noble and Westminster Bookstore Still Have Copies.