Are you eager? Ephesians 4:1-6
...eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. (Ephesians 4:3)
Paul speaks of the importance of keeping the unity of the Spirit, that bond, thattie, that union of peace. If God intends to unite all things that sin hasfractured, and if he intends to do this in Christ, then we live out a keyaspect in the calling God places on us spiritually when we are joined to Christin the Holy Spirit. When we place our faith, our trust in Jesus, the HolySpirit comes to live in our heart. That same Spirit lives in each believer.That Spirit calls us continually to a union in Christ, to perfect love, to anexistence in harmony, in peace, without wars, without battles. That is how wecan live in a way worthy of our calling.
Here is the central issue in manyfamilies that leads to the destruction of the family. Husband and wife do notguard the unity and the bond of peace that God wants them to keep in theirmarriage. They allow work or hobbies to separate them. They allow their heartsto turn away and do nothing to refocus their attention on their spouse. Or theycreate a combat zone in the home, always prodding and picking and pushingbuttons, shattering the peace that should govern home life. God’s Spirit wantsto bring peace and unity to our lives, and nowhere is this more important inour human relationships than in our marriages. But it goes beyond this to ourfamilies, the ways in which we behave to each other in the home, parents tochildren, siblings to one another.
This is God’s will and calling and gift tohis church. How seriously do we strive to take hold of the unity and the bondof peace that God calls us to and empowers us to live by his Spirit? I cannothelp but marvel at how easily churches sacrifice the unity and peace that the Spiritcalls them to. Pride, opinion, preference, any excuse is good enough to silencethe Spirit’s voice and shatter our unity. The choice of color for the carpet, or specifics about this or that ministry program, debates about obscure biblical issues. How superficial so often is ourcommitment to one another, how easily we walk away, how little it takes toseparate us from our fellow believers to move on to new fellow believers thatwe expect will be nicer, or more to our linking, or better, or more “spiritual”(oh, the irony!). Marcos Vidal laments how far we’ve strayed in his song “Cristianos.”He compares the Christians of the first century with Christians today. “Beforethey died hugging each other in the arena of the Roman circus; today they argueabout whether or not we should raise our hands when we pray.”
I will be preaching on Ephesians 4:1-6 in our service this coming Sunday, October 23, 2011. Worship begins at 10:45 am. Come and join us, 3201 W 15th St. Plano, TX 75075. Video and audio of the sermon is posted during the week at our website: www.pcbcplano.org. To access the messages directly, click here.
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book for August 1st: Cultivating Perennial Churches: Your Guide to Long-Term Growth http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/0827205120
- George BullardFree TCP eBook August 1st Only! Spiritual and Strategic Insights for Transforming Congregations Volume One http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00JJ17WZC
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when i am a popular blogger, or not [today at the high calling].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when we're moving back to waco [or, our lives are circles].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when i measure the distance of God [today at deeper story].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when there is no way but through, or, when there is room at this table.
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when this is the dinner party revolution: a guest post from ed cyzewski.
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when jesus asks, "and what about you?" [thoughts on the break, a look at our new home].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when we make vows long before they are ever spoken.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Have You Accepted President Obama As Your Personal Lord & Savior?.
- Melrose York just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor alums take ‘Fixer Upper’ skills to HGTV, ‘Today’ show.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 3 Common Traits of Youth Who Don’t Leave the Church.
- Mikel Del Rosario published the blogpost Apologetics Event Tip #1 – Build a Leadership Team.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW: Murder at Cold Creek College by Christa Nardi.
- Austin McCann published the blogpost Freebie: Resource to Disciple Students Who Come to Faith.
- George BullardAugust 1st Transform Congregations By Walking the Second Mile #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/08/august-1st-transform-congregations-by-walking-the-second-mile-365ssiftc.html
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Codependency, Chronic Pain, & Prescription Drug Abuse.
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Pinterest, Productivity and Playdates In This Week’s Friday Faves.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost The Key to Becoming a Better Writer: Read More – Reade Milner.
- daniel oghali created a new gallery
- daniel oghali just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost A Lifetime Impact: A Lesson in Integrity by Kim O’Brien.
- George Krickl published the blogpost Teleios: Four Things to Understand About Being Perfect.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 21 Leadership Quotes And Lessons From Guardians Of The Galaxy.
- Manuel Corzo just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeremy Morgan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘Danny Gokey Getaway Contest’ – all you need to know about it.
- Kelley Mathews published the article For Couples Getting Married: Don’t Save Yourself for your Wedding Night!.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 'Kidnapped for Christ' Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 'Tables in the Wilderness' | Preston Yancey [Excerpt].
- Robin Norgren published the blogpost Spark and Inspire: You have the Idea You just Need a Little Help.