Are you eager? Ephesians 4:1-6
...eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. (Ephesians 4:3)
Paul speaks of the importance of keeping the unity of the Spirit, that bond, thattie, that union of peace. If God intends to unite all things that sin hasfractured, and if he intends to do this in Christ, then we live out a keyaspect in the calling God places on us spiritually when we are joined to Christin the Holy Spirit. When we place our faith, our trust in Jesus, the HolySpirit comes to live in our heart. That same Spirit lives in each believer.That Spirit calls us continually to a union in Christ, to perfect love, to anexistence in harmony, in peace, without wars, without battles. That is how wecan live in a way worthy of our calling.
Here is the central issue in manyfamilies that leads to the destruction of the family. Husband and wife do notguard the unity and the bond of peace that God wants them to keep in theirmarriage. They allow work or hobbies to separate them. They allow their heartsto turn away and do nothing to refocus their attention on their spouse. Or theycreate a combat zone in the home, always prodding and picking and pushingbuttons, shattering the peace that should govern home life. God’s Spirit wantsto bring peace and unity to our lives, and nowhere is this more important inour human relationships than in our marriages. But it goes beyond this to ourfamilies, the ways in which we behave to each other in the home, parents tochildren, siblings to one another.
This is God’s will and calling and gift tohis church. How seriously do we strive to take hold of the unity and the bondof peace that God calls us to and empowers us to live by his Spirit? I cannothelp but marvel at how easily churches sacrifice the unity and peace that the Spiritcalls them to. Pride, opinion, preference, any excuse is good enough to silencethe Spirit’s voice and shatter our unity. The choice of color for the carpet, or specifics about this or that ministry program, debates about obscure biblical issues. How superficial so often is ourcommitment to one another, how easily we walk away, how little it takes toseparate us from our fellow believers to move on to new fellow believers thatwe expect will be nicer, or more to our linking, or better, or more “spiritual”(oh, the irony!). Marcos Vidal laments how far we’ve strayed in his song “Cristianos.”He compares the Christians of the first century with Christians today. “Beforethey died hugging each other in the arena of the Roman circus; today they argueabout whether or not we should raise our hands when we pray.”
I will be preaching on Ephesians 4:1-6 in our service this coming Sunday, October 23, 2011. Worship begins at 10:45 am. Come and join us, 3201 W 15th St. Plano, TX 75075. Video and audio of the sermon is posted during the week at our website: www.pcbcplano.org. To access the messages directly, click here.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Jet City's 'Wise Guys' - Squeaky Clean Show with F-Bombs.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Emote Control - Part 8 - Depression - Emote Control.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Emote Control - Part 9 - Cultivating Godly Emotions(1) - Emote Control.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Emote Control - Part 10 - Cultivating Godly Emotions(2) - Emote Control.
- Brad Russell published the audio Social Media Mastery with Nils Smith | Pro Church Podcast.
- Brad Russell published the video No Man Is An Island | Tenth Avenue North [Music Video].
- Brad Russell published the video Promoting Charities on Social Media | Reggie Escalante.
- Brad Russell published the video The Difference Between 'Studying' and 'Reading' the Bible | Eugene Peterson.
- Brian Niece published the blogpost Street Theology Vol. 1 :: Lecrae “My Whole Life Changed”.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost The Essential Art of Saying "No" and How You Can Get Better At It.
- Kelley Mathews published the article How to Make Your Wedding Day the Best Day of Your Life.
- Mike Kim published the blogpost Free Webinar: How To Write An Effective Support Letter.
- Brad Russell published the article 'The Good of Politics' | James W. Skillen [Book Review].
- Brad Russell published the article 4 Questions to Ask When Creating A Church Social Media Position.
- Juan Galloway just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Kelley Mathews published the video Engaging with LGBT Persons | Dallas Theological Seminary.
- Kelley Mathews published the video Ministering to People Wrestling with Sexual Identity | Darrell Bock.
- John BeckThere are Christians and
there are “Born Again” Christians
Which one ARE YOU? - See more at: http://www.faithvillage.com/member/7v9I6eh0P77DKemwWCrxt4/newsfeed#sthash.DadySJXK.dpuf
- Kelley Mathews published the article "The Power of One-on-One" by Jim Stump [Book Review].
- Kelley Mathews published the audio Stones of Remembrance | The Journey with Ron Moore.
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book For July 24th: Staying Alive: Why the Conventional Wisdom about Traditional Churches Is Wrong http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/1603500251
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Bears sweep Big 12 Athlete of the Year honors for 2nd time in 3 years.
- Jefferson Castro published the blogpost Cristãos no Iraque tem casas marcadas por terroristas.
- Leigh Powers published the blogpost Blessings In Obedience–A Guest Post from Denise Lilly.
- John Deisher published the blogpost 9 Things to Do While You’re Still Single [Relevant].
- George BullardFree TCP eBook July 24th Only! Living Into the Potential of Your Congregation http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00AXZKV2E
- George BullardJuly 24th: Transform Congregations By Asking One Another About Missional Engagement #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/07/july-24th-transform-congregations-by-asking-one-another-about-missional-engagement-365ssiftc.html
- Pete HouptJames 5:16-18 MSG
Make this your common practice: Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you can live together whole and healed. The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with. Elijah, for instance, human just like us, prayed hard that it wouldn’t rain, and it didn’t—not a drop for three and a half years. Then he prayed that it would rain, and it did. The showers came and everything started growing again.
- John Mark Miller published the blogpost Thinking Pink: Why My Daughter Thinks I’m “One of the Girls”.