Are you eager? Ephesians 4:1-6
...eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. (Ephesians 4:3)
Paul speaks of the importance of keeping the unity of the Spirit, that bond, thattie, that union of peace. If God intends to unite all things that sin hasfractured, and if he intends to do this in Christ, then we live out a keyaspect in the calling God places on us spiritually when we are joined to Christin the Holy Spirit. When we place our faith, our trust in Jesus, the HolySpirit comes to live in our heart. That same Spirit lives in each believer.That Spirit calls us continually to a union in Christ, to perfect love, to anexistence in harmony, in peace, without wars, without battles. That is how wecan live in a way worthy of our calling.
Here is the central issue in manyfamilies that leads to the destruction of the family. Husband and wife do notguard the unity and the bond of peace that God wants them to keep in theirmarriage. They allow work or hobbies to separate them. They allow their heartsto turn away and do nothing to refocus their attention on their spouse. Or theycreate a combat zone in the home, always prodding and picking and pushingbuttons, shattering the peace that should govern home life. God’s Spirit wantsto bring peace and unity to our lives, and nowhere is this more important inour human relationships than in our marriages. But it goes beyond this to ourfamilies, the ways in which we behave to each other in the home, parents tochildren, siblings to one another.
This is God’s will and calling and gift tohis church. How seriously do we strive to take hold of the unity and the bondof peace that God calls us to and empowers us to live by his Spirit? I cannothelp but marvel at how easily churches sacrifice the unity and peace that the Spiritcalls them to. Pride, opinion, preference, any excuse is good enough to silencethe Spirit’s voice and shatter our unity. The choice of color for the carpet, or specifics about this or that ministry program, debates about obscure biblical issues. How superficial so often is ourcommitment to one another, how easily we walk away, how little it takes toseparate us from our fellow believers to move on to new fellow believers thatwe expect will be nicer, or more to our linking, or better, or more “spiritual”(oh, the irony!). Marcos Vidal laments how far we’ve strayed in his song “Cristianos.”He compares the Christians of the first century with Christians today. “Beforethey died hugging each other in the arena of the Roman circus; today they argueabout whether or not we should raise our hands when we pray.”
I will be preaching on Ephesians 4:1-6 in our service this coming Sunday, October 23, 2011. Worship begins at 10:45 am. Come and join us, 3201 W 15th St. Plano, TX 75075. Video and audio of the sermon is posted during the week at our website: www.pcbcplano.org. To access the messages directly, click here.
- Eric Speir published the blogpost Steps Are For People And Leaps Are For Frogs (Here’s why!).
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost Featured Friend: Annetta Bosakova & FREE Printable!.
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Bridging the Generation Gap:: Embracing Mentorship.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost Done Is Better Than Perfect–Guest Post by Ken Cochrum.
- Matt Perman published the blogpost How the Gospel Makes Us Productive: My Interview on Faith Radio.
- Anita Palmer just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jenni Ingram just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 5 Lessons On Top Talent And Their Impact On Church Growth.
- Cathy Roberts just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Winners Announced from Terri Blackstock’s ‘Distortion’ Author Chat Party.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Winners Announced from Terri Blackstock’s ‘Distortion’ Author Chat Party.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Billy Coffey shares a gripping tale about the destructive nature of secrets and regret.
- Tyger Burch just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Church Membership Matters - Church Membership Matters.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost Chosen - Part 5 - Why Evangelize if God Elects? - Chosen.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost The Key to Contentment - Part 1 - The Key To Contentment.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost The Key to Contentment - Part 2 - The Key To Contentment.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Jesus - ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Mission.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Church - ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Mission.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Preaching - ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Mission.
- FaithVillage Administrator published the blogpost ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Healing - ACTS | Spirit-Empowered Mission.
- Clarence FellThe cross was not about improving your earthly life. Jesus was not trying to save you from earthly discomforts. In fact, He warned that following Him could make your earthly life worse, (Matt. 10:35-36). Jesus had something far greater than earthly life in view in His ministry. What do you think He was looking to?
- Darlene Cook uploaded a photo
- Reinaldo de Sousa just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Darlene Cook created a new gallery
- Darlene Cook just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Ellis just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jon StallingsMy sermon from Sunday Leaving Egypt | @ Life Church
When the Israelites left Egypt to head to the Promise Land they left their thoughts and hearts back in Egypt as slaves. No matter how much God blessed them they still longed to go back.
It would take Jesus Christ to be our Redeemer who would finally lead us out of the bondage to sin, our personal Egypt. The question is, do we really want to leave? http://buff.ly/1g2GaZe
- chamaigne lyons just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Allen Mendez just moved in. Take time to say hey.