Are you eager? Ephesians 4:1-6
...eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. (Ephesians 4:3)
Paul speaks of the importance of keeping the unity of the Spirit, that bond, thattie, that union of peace. If God intends to unite all things that sin hasfractured, and if he intends to do this in Christ, then we live out a keyaspect in the calling God places on us spiritually when we are joined to Christin the Holy Spirit. When we place our faith, our trust in Jesus, the HolySpirit comes to live in our heart. That same Spirit lives in each believer.That Spirit calls us continually to a union in Christ, to perfect love, to anexistence in harmony, in peace, without wars, without battles. That is how wecan live in a way worthy of our calling.
Here is the central issue in manyfamilies that leads to the destruction of the family. Husband and wife do notguard the unity and the bond of peace that God wants them to keep in theirmarriage. They allow work or hobbies to separate them. They allow their heartsto turn away and do nothing to refocus their attention on their spouse. Or theycreate a combat zone in the home, always prodding and picking and pushingbuttons, shattering the peace that should govern home life. God’s Spirit wantsto bring peace and unity to our lives, and nowhere is this more important inour human relationships than in our marriages. But it goes beyond this to ourfamilies, the ways in which we behave to each other in the home, parents tochildren, siblings to one another.
This is God’s will and calling and gift tohis church. How seriously do we strive to take hold of the unity and the bondof peace that God calls us to and empowers us to live by his Spirit? I cannothelp but marvel at how easily churches sacrifice the unity and peace that the Spiritcalls them to. Pride, opinion, preference, any excuse is good enough to silencethe Spirit’s voice and shatter our unity. The choice of color for the carpet, or specifics about this or that ministry program, debates about obscure biblical issues. How superficial so often is ourcommitment to one another, how easily we walk away, how little it takes toseparate us from our fellow believers to move on to new fellow believers thatwe expect will be nicer, or more to our linking, or better, or more “spiritual”(oh, the irony!). Marcos Vidal laments how far we’ve strayed in his song “Cristianos.”He compares the Christians of the first century with Christians today. “Beforethey died hugging each other in the arena of the Roman circus; today they argueabout whether or not we should raise our hands when we pray.”
I will be preaching on Ephesians 4:1-6 in our service this coming Sunday, October 23, 2011. Worship begins at 10:45 am. Come and join us, 3201 W 15th St. Plano, TX 75075. Video and audio of the sermon is posted during the week at our website: www.pcbcplano.org. To access the messages directly, click here.
- Gayle BrownGod is so good. Remember to share His grace. 😇
- Gayle Brown just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Cheri Henderson published the blogpost Don’t Go Breaking Their Hearts: A Message to Young Women.
- Jamie Calloway-Hanauer published the blogpost Seeing an Empathetic Space: The Challenge of a Christian Witness in America.
- John Rutledge published the article Turbans not enough: Canadian helmet law disappoints Sikhs.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost What national voices are saying about Baylor’s McLane Stadium.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 4 Simple But Yet Crucial Reminders For Every Leader.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Sanctus Real to release new album, ‘The Dream’ October 14.
- solomon david published the blogpost WordPress Gallery Plugin Displays Images And Video Beautifully.
- solomon david published the blogpost Windows Phone 8.1 Brings Improved YouTube Experience, Lock Screen & More.
- Brad Andres published the blogpost Whether You Walk On Water or Take A Swim, “The Water Feels Alright”.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘I’m Not Religious at All, I Have a Relationship With God’ – Lecrae.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Tips for Engaging Volunteers in your Youth Program.
- Courtney Rowland published the blogpost Grilled Flank Steak Sandwiches with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms #WeekdaySupper.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Meet Worship leader Bridgett Kern, listen to new single.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 7 Habits Of An Unhealthy Culture vs. 7 Habits Of A Healthy Culture.
- Edgar Galdamez published the blogpost The Life of a Pastor: Service, Stress, Solitude, Sacrifice.
- George Bullard published the blogpost Are Millennials Different than Baby Boomers 40 Years Ago?.
- Dave Dunham published the blogpost A Review of “Loss of Sadness” by Allan Horwitz and Jerome Wakefield.