I listen to conversations about needing more hours in the day. We all seem to need more time to meet with people, reply to emails, return calls, get work down, and make relationships happen.
I gotta be honest, there are times I read or hear about some people’s days, and I want to take a nap for them.
We are busy. Somewhere along the way busy became a value, as well as an association of importance.
Busy says “we are in demand.”
Trying to keep up with busy is just exhausting. Busy comes with an unmeetable bar of success and satisfaction.
Don’t get me wrong, we need to get things done, and relationships take time and effort.
What is the balance?
Reading through the gospels, I wonder what Jesus’ schedule would’ve looked like. Would he have synched up his ministry appointments and travel schedules with his disciples on Google? Would we find him “penciling in” people in different towns and villages? Would Jesus have been considered too “busy?”
He was a busy guy. Jesus was definitely in demand, but he found the perfect balance between busy and space. Jesus knew that he would not have been effective had he not valued space.
Jesus would often disappear somewhere and just be. He took the space necessary to be able to manage the busy well.
Jesus would send his friends ahead of where they were going next. He would also wake up early in the morning and find his space.
We all need time where no one is asking us questions, no one is needing something, no expectations to fulfill, no interruptions, just silence and exhale.
We need space.
I need times of space to function. I need space to renew my mind and strength. I need space to find my exhale. I need space to find the words and whispers of my own heart.
More often than not I am exhausted when space is absent. More often than not I wrestle with God and life the most when space has been forgotten and edged out.
Space is where He speaks.
Space is where I listen.
How are you giving yourself space to be a more effective you?
This post was inspired by the Luminous Project. Luminous is an event in Nashville for creatives on May 9-11, 2012. To find out more, check outluminousproject.com. You can use the promo code ‘luminousLOVE’ to get 30% off the ticket price.
Filed under: Daily Thoughts
- John Mark Miller published the blogpost U: Perceptible Unity – The Mark of Great Art…and Great Lives.
- Brian Jones published the blogpost Was Jesus A Man That The Early Church Turned Into A God?.
- Serena Rice published the blogpost Prayer on the Wind: Day 24 of the April Poetry Challenge.
- adekunle ojobaro just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Wayne Stiles published the blogpost Quote from Pascal on how to measure our efforts [Quote].
- Adam Smith published the blogpost 21 Things You Need To STOP Saying At Work-Julia Winston.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost CRITICAL CONDITION Kindle HDX Giveaway from Richard Mabry!.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost NIGHTLINE’S Dan Harris’ 10% HAPPIER Kindle HDX Giveaway!.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost The Guys Guide to God, Girls and the Phone in Your Pocket.
- Mike Kim published the blogpost #09: 3 Psychological Weapons of Marketing Influence.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Movie Producers Donate to Wounded Warriors with Your Help.
- Julio Ribeiro just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Warren Robison just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Gary Weed created a new gallery
- Gary Weed just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lyn Rossano just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Tina Jagneaux just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jeremy Riley just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Flashback: How to Stop Victim Mentality and Thinking in Kids and Teens.
- Walter Bright published the blogpost Divine Healing Will Be Fully Realized When Jesus Returns.
- Brandi McElheney just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Blake Atwood published the audio If You Want to be Successful, Stop Being So Accessible | Michael Hyatt.
- John Rutledge published the article New study suggests religion can predict sexual behavior.
- Jeff Reiter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Candace Andrews just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Blake Atwood uploaded a photo
- Joe Padilla just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Chris Peek published the blogpost Why Simplicity is Necessary to Live in a Story that Matters.
- Blake Atwood published the video 'Theology Questions Everyone Asks' Part II | Gary M. Burge & David Lauber.
- Blake Atwood published the video 'Theology Questions Everyone Asks' | Gary M. Burge & David Lauber.
- Blake Atwood published the video The Counselor: Why Do You Doubt? | Craig Groeschel.
- Ancuta Rusu-Sieng just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brad Russell shared How to Create and Manage a Blog (Part 1) | Tutorial: NEW BLOGGERS: You can network your blog into the site by clicking Manage My Loft/Blog. Here's a video explaining how to create and manage your blog in FV.
- Dave Jenkins, Jr. created a new gallery
- Brad Russell uploaded a photo
- Dave Jenkins just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Drew DyckMy interview on the Logos blog on how we try to domesticate God. http://blog.vyrso.com/2014/04/23/stop-trying-to-tame-god-rediscovering-dangerous-christianity/
- Blake Atwood published the audio Reimaginining God's Eternal Purpose: Part I | Frank Viola.
- Victor Nunez just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor alum appointed to National Commission on Hunger.
- Dorothy Greco published the blogpost Relevant Magazine: Fear Doesn’t Have to Control Us.