I think it’s fair to say that we certainly live in the busiest culture and times.
Everyone’s got something to do or somewhere to be. Cost of living is high. Many are struggling to make ends meet with one job, so they take on two or more jobs.
Many are struggling to keep a certain lifestyle, so they’re working to keep up with the lifestyle and the Joneses.
Students are overworked. Going to college has gotten super competitive. So you have to work yourself in high school. Multiple AP classes. Time consuming and life draining extra curricular activities. Good grades. And somewhere in all that, trying to remember to be teenagers.
On top of that, we’re probably the most distracted beings to ever walk this (so far, still) green earth.
It’s not enough to have the TV on, but we need to see what’s going on the world wide web and to see who’s texting us. When we’re with human friends, we’re trying to keep up with our Facebook friends. Multi-tasking has become the norm.
What I want to get across is that we need to really practice the art of being present in the present. Because we’re so busy, because we’re so distracted, our minds are everywhere. We could be spending quality time with good company, but our minds are thinking of the all the work that is waiting for us when we part. We could be sitting on the beaches of the North Shore in Hawaii, and we just can’t shake off what’s going on in the workplace without us. We could be hanging out with family members, and all we can think about how much longer we have to endure the suffering (just kidding about that one). (… I think…)
And because our mind is everywhere but here and the now, we can miss out on the little blessings God showers on us everyday.
If you don’t know, I tend to be a worrier. This post is meant for me more than anywhere else because I find myself worrying about things that really is unnecessary. And on top of being distracted by my worries, I’m just easily distracted. I’m a day dreamer of some sorts. During meetings (or class, during school days), my eyes always find the window and I think about where I could be… And when I’m “where I could be” I think about the meetings that are taking place. Sick, huh?
Recently, I was able to sneak in a little siesta after a meeting and found myself on a lookout point overlooking the ocean. The sun was setting and the sky looked like it was on fire. If the beauty of looking at a sunset next to the ocean wasn’t enough, there was a family of dolphins swimming near by.
I soaked it all in. The smell of the ocean. The cool sea breeze. The sound of the ocean. The view of the sunset. The sight of the dolphins swimming. It was truly a holy moment, and I felt tremendously blessed.
And for the first time, in a little while, I found myself completely present in the present.
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia Carter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May Jesus Christ Be The Ultimate Treasure We Always Seek by Debbie Harris..
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Father Who Can We Graciously And Humbly Walk Beside Today Just To Love by Debbie Harris.
- Bryce Johnson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 13 Resources For Ministry Leaders Who Struggle with Porn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Expert Reveals Biggest Concern About Youngsters And Social Media.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Half (54%) Of US Teens Think Life Would Be Better Without Social Media.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Roy Lichtenstein's Most Popular Painting is Displayed.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost After Confronting Campus Bully, HS Football Player Gets Suspended.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Conservative Student Is Victim Of ‘Racist Rape Apologist’ Attack Fliers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Yik Yak app Putting Teens Behind Bars, Police Warn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Hearing That Things Can Change Helps Teens Dodge Depression.
- Andrew Shivers just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost GIVEAWAY: Win a Framed “The Fault in Our Stars” FULL SIZE Movie Poster [Winner Chosen].
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘Boxtrolls:’ Incredible Animation, Charmless Story.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Dad Lip-Syncs Daughter's Tantrum.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost SOTW: ‘Chasing After The Wind’ by Alan Powell (Free Friday Download).
- Matt Perman published the blogpost The Drive Video: If You Want Engagement, Self-Direction is Better.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW/INTERVIEW: The Unexpected Earl by Philippa Jane Keyworth.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 55: Gary Black Jr. – Co-author of The Divine Conspiracy Continued.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ‘Believe Me': Alum’s thought-provoking film now in theaters.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost Stress Kills!!! Here's 3 Ways To Do Something About It.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost How The New Fall TV Season Reminds Me Of The Gospel.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Suffering Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Personal Responsibility Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost 20 Approaches to Battling Depression-Anxiety as Suffering.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Hellion’ is A Wild, Family-Driven Ride Worth Taking.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2′ is Cool, Uncommitted.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost “Kidnapped for Christ” Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Talking about cancer on WFAA’s ‘Two Chairs’ series.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Get Excited: New ‘Believe Me’ Trailer Validates Everything We Thought.
- solomon david published the blogpost Micromax Canvas Nitro Launched for Rs 12,990 in India.
- solomon david published the blogpost 20 Mobile (iOS, Android) App & Web Prototyping Tools – Part2.