For example, maybe, I mean just hypothetically speaking for moment... Maybe the grass needed mowed, the flower box removed, and the old dryer taken to the dump. But instead of tackling any of those half hour jobs, I decide (again, this is hypothetical) to remove all the crushed rock from a 60' x 3' section of our front yard, so that we can plant a couple bushes, put down some weed block, and replace all the rock. Which I would hypothetically guess would take about 4 days, 2 shovels and a bucket, 7 blisters, and 4 grouchy and underpaid child laborers.
See - helpful.
Just not necessary. Not well-timed. Not integral to the continued smooth functioning of our household. But helpful.
So today, when I have several other things to do that suddenly became less than urgent, I decided to take it upon myself to build a website. I've messed around online enough to know how to manipulate a little bit of content on this free (and pre-designed) site, but I have zero experience actually starting from scratch. So naturally, instead of finishing a couple easy jobs that need done in my office, I registered a domain name, paid for a year of hosting, and set up cPanel access. Then I proceeded to install the self-hosted incarnation of Wordpress (twice, since I didn't quite get it right the first time) on my host's server, purchase Standard theme (which I'm told will raise the speed of awesome on my site from 0 to 60 in the blink of a pixel) and... well, then I hit a road block.
See, in my imagination, there's supposed to be this easy, 'click here to download Standard theme' button that you click after you pay for it, then another 'install Standard theme' button to finish the job. There were buttons to click alright, but somewhere in the process, what I needed to be one easily managed .zip file became a folder full of files that would've made Hulk smash tanks and unicorns and stuff. I ended up figuring out how to sort of 're-zip' all those files into one, then how to upload that through the file manager on my cPanel, and finally how to then unzip that within the file manager on the host's server. Not bad for a guy who didn't even have a cPanel to open a couple days ago! (They're nothing like the old 70's panels that used to be in my basement, by the way.)
So, despite nearly forgetting to take my daughter to pre-school, then being a couple minutes late to pick her up, and not finishing a couple other projects that are about 27 hours from regaining urgent status... I am proud to say I've successfully set up the skeleton for what I hope will be a blog that makes a difference. (I'm not telling you where it is, yet - it's still a little shy.) I'll still use this space here to collect my thoughts about our journey through life to God (as I have for several years), but I wanted to start something more focused on one thing: unleashing potential in the young church.
I'm tired of seeing churches just get old and tired and wear themselves out running around the same old circles. There's a better way... I'm about to launch into a long, impassioned diatribe, here, so I'll stop - that's what my new digs are for. I hope to see you there soon (that is, once I reveal where 'there' is)...
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost What national voices are saying about Baylor’s McLane Stadium.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 4 Simple But Yet Crucial Reminders For Every Leader.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Sanctus Real to release new album, ‘The Dream’ October 14.
- solomon david published the blogpost WordPress Gallery Plugin Displays Images And Video Beautifully.
- solomon david published the blogpost Windows Phone 8.1 Brings Improved YouTube Experience, Lock Screen & More.
- Brad Andres published the blogpost Whether You Walk On Water or Take A Swim, “The Water Feels Alright”.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘I’m Not Religious at All, I Have a Relationship With God’ – Lecrae.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Tips for Engaging Volunteers in your Youth Program.
- Courtney Rowland published the blogpost Grilled Flank Steak Sandwiches with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms #WeekdaySupper.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Meet Worship leader Bridgett Kern, listen to new single.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 7 Habits Of An Unhealthy Culture vs. 7 Habits Of A Healthy Culture.
- Edgar Galdamez published the blogpost The Life of a Pastor: Service, Stress, Solitude, Sacrifice.
- George Bullard published the blogpost Are Millennials Different than Baby Boomers 40 Years Ago?.
- Dave Dunham published the blogpost A Review of “Loss of Sadness” by Allan Horwitz and Jerome Wakefield.
- Patricia Hunter published the blogpost Labor Day::thankful for the gift of work and the labor of love....
- Lee Sah Lim published the blogpost Bangkok IV: Damnoen Saduak Floating Market And MBK Center.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Psalm 88 Sermon Follow Up: “Will Life Ever Get Better?”.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Are You Engaged With Teenagers Where They’re Growing Spiritually?.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 5 Roles Youth Workers Play In The Lives Of Teenagers.