For example, maybe, I mean just hypothetically speaking for moment... Maybe the grass needed mowed, the flower box removed, and the old dryer taken to the dump. But instead of tackling any of those half hour jobs, I decide (again, this is hypothetical) to remove all the crushed rock from a 60' x 3' section of our front yard, so that we can plant a couple bushes, put down some weed block, and replace all the rock. Which I would hypothetically guess would take about 4 days, 2 shovels and a bucket, 7 blisters, and 4 grouchy and underpaid child laborers.
See - helpful.
Just not necessary. Not well-timed. Not integral to the continued smooth functioning of our household. But helpful.
So today, when I have several other things to do that suddenly became less than urgent, I decided to take it upon myself to build a website. I've messed around online enough to know how to manipulate a little bit of content on this free (and pre-designed) site, but I have zero experience actually starting from scratch. So naturally, instead of finishing a couple easy jobs that need done in my office, I registered a domain name, paid for a year of hosting, and set up cPanel access. Then I proceeded to install the self-hosted incarnation of Wordpress (twice, since I didn't quite get it right the first time) on my host's server, purchase Standard theme (which I'm told will raise the speed of awesome on my site from 0 to 60 in the blink of a pixel) and... well, then I hit a road block.
See, in my imagination, there's supposed to be this easy, 'click here to download Standard theme' button that you click after you pay for it, then another 'install Standard theme' button to finish the job. There were buttons to click alright, but somewhere in the process, what I needed to be one easily managed .zip file became a folder full of files that would've made Hulk smash tanks and unicorns and stuff. I ended up figuring out how to sort of 're-zip' all those files into one, then how to upload that through the file manager on my cPanel, and finally how to then unzip that within the file manager on the host's server. Not bad for a guy who didn't even have a cPanel to open a couple days ago! (They're nothing like the old 70's panels that used to be in my basement, by the way.)
So, despite nearly forgetting to take my daughter to pre-school, then being a couple minutes late to pick her up, and not finishing a couple other projects that are about 27 hours from regaining urgent status... I am proud to say I've successfully set up the skeleton for what I hope will be a blog that makes a difference. (I'm not telling you where it is, yet - it's still a little shy.) I'll still use this space here to collect my thoughts about our journey through life to God (as I have for several years), but I wanted to start something more focused on one thing: unleashing potential in the young church.
I'm tired of seeing churches just get old and tired and wear themselves out running around the same old circles. There's a better way... I'm about to launch into a long, impassioned diatribe, here, so I'll stop - that's what my new digs are for. I hope to see you there soon (that is, once I reveal where 'there' is)...
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Cheerleaders Defy School’s Ban, Lead Crowd in Lord’s Prayer.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost ‘Slenderman’ Costumes Sold in County Where Girl Was Brutally Stabbed.
- solomon david published the blogpost Mobile Web or Mobile Application – Which One You Need Most For Your Online Store?.
- Greg Atkinson published the blogpost Big Announcement: I’m Joining the Staff of Transformation Church.
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when you can read the first chapter of tables in the wilderness for free.
- George Mark just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost Dare Mighty Things: Your Life Matters Guest Post by Halee Gray Scott.
- Lindsey Bell published the blogpost Become a Better Mom – Week 4 Challenge: Go Hands Free.
- Natasha Crain published the blogpost 4 Easy Ways Parents Can Use the Internet to Grow Giving Hearts.
- GerDonna Ellis just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Kallie Ybarra published the blogpost Cheap Huggies at Rite Aid and Money-Maker Colgate at Target.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Gameplay Broadcasting May Be the New Big Thing in Streaming Entertainment.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Standing On The Never Changing Truths Found In The Word Of God by Debbie Harris.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost All That Really Matters Is Christ’s Approval by Debbie Harris.
- Greg Flagg published the blogpost Prayer for the Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost (Ordinary Time).
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments with Michael Yankoski | Is Faith Just An Idea?.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Sunday Refreshments with Michael Yankoski | Is Faith Just An Idea?.
- Courtney Rowland published the blogpost Caramel Apple Cider Ginger Ale Floats #SundaySupper.
- Leon Bloder published the blogpost Small Thing Big Difference: Week Three - "Words Get In The Way".
- Dwayne Robinson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost The Sacred Year by Michael Yankoski | Blog Tour and Free Book Offer.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost The Sacred Year by Michael Yankoski | Blog Tour and Free Book Offer.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost The old maid and her old lady hoarder hobby - with product reviews.
- Roxie Keenan just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Elisabeth Gifford shares the Gaelic myth of selkies and mermaids.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 18 Leadership Quotes And Lessons From Left Behind: The Movie.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost All God’s People Are Filled With The Beauty Of Our Triune God by Debbie Harris.