For example, maybe, I mean just hypothetically speaking for moment... Maybe the grass needed mowed, the flower box removed, and the old dryer taken to the dump. But instead of tackling any of those half hour jobs, I decide (again, this is hypothetical) to remove all the crushed rock from a 60' x 3' section of our front yard, so that we can plant a couple bushes, put down some weed block, and replace all the rock. Which I would hypothetically guess would take about 4 days, 2 shovels and a bucket, 7 blisters, and 4 grouchy and underpaid child laborers.
See - helpful.
Just not necessary. Not well-timed. Not integral to the continued smooth functioning of our household. But helpful.
So today, when I have several other things to do that suddenly became less than urgent, I decided to take it upon myself to build a website. I've messed around online enough to know how to manipulate a little bit of content on this free (and pre-designed) site, but I have zero experience actually starting from scratch. So naturally, instead of finishing a couple easy jobs that need done in my office, I registered a domain name, paid for a year of hosting, and set up cPanel access. Then I proceeded to install the self-hosted incarnation of Wordpress (twice, since I didn't quite get it right the first time) on my host's server, purchase Standard theme (which I'm told will raise the speed of awesome on my site from 0 to 60 in the blink of a pixel) and... well, then I hit a road block.
See, in my imagination, there's supposed to be this easy, 'click here to download Standard theme' button that you click after you pay for it, then another 'install Standard theme' button to finish the job. There were buttons to click alright, but somewhere in the process, what I needed to be one easily managed .zip file became a folder full of files that would've made Hulk smash tanks and unicorns and stuff. I ended up figuring out how to sort of 're-zip' all those files into one, then how to upload that through the file manager on my cPanel, and finally how to then unzip that within the file manager on the host's server. Not bad for a guy who didn't even have a cPanel to open a couple days ago! (They're nothing like the old 70's panels that used to be in my basement, by the way.)
So, despite nearly forgetting to take my daughter to pre-school, then being a couple minutes late to pick her up, and not finishing a couple other projects that are about 27 hours from regaining urgent status... I am proud to say I've successfully set up the skeleton for what I hope will be a blog that makes a difference. (I'm not telling you where it is, yet - it's still a little shy.) I'll still use this space here to collect my thoughts about our journey through life to God (as I have for several years), but I wanted to start something more focused on one thing: unleashing potential in the young church.
I'm tired of seeing churches just get old and tired and wear themselves out running around the same old circles. There's a better way... I'm about to launch into a long, impassioned diatribe, here, so I'll stop - that's what my new digs are for. I hope to see you there soon (that is, once I reveal where 'there' is)...
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost The Glorious Gift Of God’s Presence by Debbie Harris.
- John Rutledge published the article Most Americans say U.S. should shelter child immigrants.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Baylor’s first quintuplets head home; I’m sad to see them go.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost The Top 10 Leadership Posts I Read The Week Of July 28th.
- Robin Norgren published the blogpost Spark and Inspire Question #1: Are Collaborations a Good Idea?.
- Kelley Mathews published the audio Welcome to a Life of Greatness | The Journey with Ron Moore.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga Sing "Anything Goes".
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Ebola, skin cancer, doctor training changes among this week’s top health headlines.
- Crystal Stine published the blogpost 4×4 of 4 Things (OR: Stuff To Know About Me Before Declare).
- Kevin Sistrunk just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Tameshia Williams > Great Book ReviewersHappy Friday Great Book Reviewers,
The latest Fiction, and Christian Living books available for review have been uploaded. As usual, please message Kelley Mathews — the group admin at this time — with your request. Include your mailing address and remember to upload a link to your review on this group wall when it's complete. Try to do that within a month or so, and we can re-list you as an eligible reviewer. Happy reading!
- Florence Ukpabi published the blogpost Behaviour Modification God’s Way (Book extract 28).
- John Bucher published the blogpost Check out The Living Reminders & The Leftovers Daily.
- raveena chandra just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- George BullardFeatured TCP Book for August 1st: Cultivating Perennial Churches: Your Guide to Long-Term Growth http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/0827205120
- George BullardFree TCP eBook August 1st Only! Spiritual and Strategic Insights for Transforming Congregations Volume One http://astore.amazon.com/tcpresourcesstore-20/detail/B00JJ17WZC
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when i am a popular blogger, or not [today at the high calling].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when we're moving back to waco [or, our lives are circles].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when i measure the distance of God [today at deeper story].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when there is no way but through, or, when there is room at this table.
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when this is the dinner party revolution: a guest post from ed cyzewski.
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when jesus asks, "and what about you?" [thoughts on the break, a look at our new home].
- Preston Yancey published the blogpost when we make vows long before they are ever spoken.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Have You Accepted President Obama As Your Personal Lord & Savior?.
- Melrose York just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor alums take ‘Fixer Upper’ skills to HGTV, ‘Today’ show.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost 3 Common Traits of Youth Who Don’t Leave the Church.
- Mikel Del Rosario published the blogpost Apologetics Event Tip #1 – Build a Leadership Team.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW: Murder at Cold Creek College by Christa Nardi.
- Austin McCann published the blogpost Freebie: Resource to Disciple Students Who Come to Faith.
- George BullardAugust 1st Transform Congregations By Walking the Second Mile #365SSIFTC http://bullardjournal.blogs.com/bullardjournal_microblog/2014/08/august-1st-transform-congregations-by-walking-the-second-mile-365ssiftc.html
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Codependency, Chronic Pain, & Prescription Drug Abuse.
- Diane Paddison published the blogpost Pinterest, Productivity and Playdates In This Week’s Friday Faves.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost The Key to Becoming a Better Writer: Read More – Reade Milner.