One Direction and what to do with boy band obsessions
Have you recently heard the girls you work with talking about One Direction? Have they whispered about it during Sunday School and you dismissed it thinking “what a great teacher I am. They must be talking about the only direction that matters…following Christ?!” Well you’ve been bamboozled if you thought that…they are talking about the newest boy band sensation.
Confession time: if you think boy bands are powerless, you are mistaken. I fell prey to their persuasive allure myself when I was in middle school. Everyone of my friends had picked out a NOKTB to “love” and I too decided to align myself with one particular member. I didn’t pick Jordan cuz everyone picked Jordan. I didn’t pick Jonathan because he was not really a leader. I didn’t pick Joey because I had the foresight to recognize that baby voice would be changing shortly and his powers of high pitchedness would be gone. I didn’t pick Danny because well, can you blame me? I was superficial. I picked Donnie.
Now to be fair, I owe Donnie a lot. He got me through the painful wall sit during the Presidential Fitness challenge. Instead of thinking of the pain, I prayed for Donnie’s soul. Why did I do this? Because even as an 8th grader I knew we couldn’t be together unless he too were a Christian. Now that’s spiritual maturity…or so I thought back then. The thing is, I know first hand what it feels like to be under the power of a boy band. It’s rough giving your loyalty to a group that has no idea who you are and will eventually begin to develop male pattern baldness and fall off the scene before you graduate from college. And as a girls minister who has lived through a few boy bands that have risen and fallen, and watched what they do to the teen girls we work with, I felt like it was time to give some attention to this “One Direction” so you can seem knowledgeable when the topic arises.
Imagine my surprise when two guys named Rhett and Link whom I just discovered on youtube and jellytelly.com yesterday (thanks to my husband @dgirardier), decided to cover this topic on their morning webcast. It’s just a humorous look at the 5 guys that make up the band, but it is informative if you’ve never heard of One Direction.
QUICK TIP FROM GIRLSMINISTER.COM ON WHAT TO DO WITH BOY BAND OBSESSIONS:
One thing’s for certain…boy band obsessions are a reality. Just like Beiber Fever breaking out, you’ll have girls swooning over One Direction. If you do have a serious case of unreality setting in for a middle school girl who really aligns herself with one person in the band, you may need to help her play the movie forward and realize that the only direction she’ll be headed with this obsession is Dissapointmentville: population 1.
1. Begin to help her “tell a better story” with her life, than the one of obsessing over every detail of this boy band.
2. Do some dreaming with her about how she can make a difference right now with her life.
3. Partner her with a girl who is older than her and inoculated from the boy band virus. It may distract her long enough from her obsession to be mentored by a cool older girl who knows what she’s doing with her life.
4. Start an ongoing challenge with her called “no boy band trivia challenge”. If she provides you with boy band trivia, she has to do ____________. But if she makes it 48 hours without looking at, talking about, or listening to said boy band then she gets to do _________.
5. Memorize Colossians 3:2 together. Ask her what difference it would make to “Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.”
Just some tips.
- Andrew MasonCreating A Small Group Curriculum Map by Ben Reed http://www.smallgroupchurches.com/creating-a-small-group-curriculum-map/
- Marcella WoodridgeThe longer I live the more I know I need GOD leading my life every step of the way.
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia CarterHello I'm New Here!!
- Octavia Carter just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost May Jesus Christ Be The Ultimate Treasure We Always Seek by Debbie Harris..
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Father Who Can We Graciously And Humbly Walk Beside Today Just To Love by Debbie Harris.
- Bryce Johnson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 13 Resources For Ministry Leaders Who Struggle with Porn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Expert Reveals Biggest Concern About Youngsters And Social Media.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Half (54%) Of US Teens Think Life Would Be Better Without Social Media.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Roy Lichtenstein's Most Popular Painting is Displayed.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost After Confronting Campus Bully, HS Football Player Gets Suspended.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Conservative Student Is Victim Of ‘Racist Rape Apologist’ Attack Fliers.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Yik Yak app Putting Teens Behind Bars, Police Warn.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Hearing That Things Can Change Helps Teens Dodge Depression.
- Andrew Shivers just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost GIVEAWAY: Win a Framed “The Fault in Our Stars” FULL SIZE Movie Poster [Winner Chosen].
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost ‘Boxtrolls:’ Incredible Animation, Charmless Story.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: Dad Lip-Syncs Daughter's Tantrum.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost SOTW: ‘Chasing After The Wind’ by Alan Powell (Free Friday Download).
- Matt Perman published the blogpost The Drive Video: If You Want Engagement, Self-Direction is Better.
- LuAnn Braley published the blogpost BOOK REVIEW/INTERVIEW: The Unexpected Earl by Philippa Jane Keyworth.
- Shane Blackshear published the blogpost Seminary Dropout 55: Gary Black Jr. – Co-author of The Divine Conspiracy Continued.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost ‘Believe Me': Alum’s thought-provoking film now in theaters.
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost Stress Kills!!! Here's 3 Ways To Do Something About It.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost How The New Fall TV Season Reminds Me Of The Gospel.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Suffering Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Overcoming Depression-Anxiety: A Personal Responsibility Paradigm (Seminar Videos).
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost 20 Approaches to Battling Depression-Anxiety as Suffering.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Hellion’ is A Wild, Family-Driven Ride Worth Taking.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2′ is Cool, Uncommitted.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost “Kidnapped for Christ” Review: The Terror of Teens.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Pieces Together a Winning Team.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Talking about cancer on WFAA’s ‘Two Chairs’ series.
- Daniel DeHart published the blogpost Get Excited: New ‘Believe Me’ Trailer Validates Everything We Thought.
- solomon david published the blogpost Micromax Canvas Nitro Launched for Rs 12,990 in India.