The Power of Community…
I have been thinking lately about the importance of community. Having solid relationships is so vital to our success in achieving our goals in life. Plain and simple, we need people and people need us. Erwin McManus says, “If you don’t invest in people, they’re not going to invest in you…In the end people will invest in people who invest in others.” This is a key concept to apply to our lives.
There is a story in the second chapter of Mark where Jesus heals a paralyzed man. I’m sure many of you knows how the story goes. Jesus was teaching in a house that eventually became filled with people. This paralyzed man had four incredible friends who picked him up and brought him to see Jesus. Since the crowd was so large, they got creative and lifted him up on the roof, cut a hole in it, then lowered him down in front of Jesus. Then the story goes: “Seeing their faith, Jesus said to the paralyzed man, ‘My child, your sins are forgiven.’” and then Jesus healed the man.
What I find so interesting in this verse is the word usage. It says, “Seeing their faith…” not “Seeing his (the paralyzed man’s) faith…” Jesus noticed the faith of the mans friends and it was their faith that allowed the man to be forgiven and healed; allowed him to accomplish his goal and achieve success.
This man had people so invested in his life that they were willing to do whatever it took to help him accomplish what he needed to have done. They were willing to believe for him.
My question for you is, have you invested yourself in people’s lives in such a way that they are willing to pick you up and carry you through whatever life throws at you? Have you invested enough into other people that they would be willing to sacrifice whatever is necessary to help you succeed? Those are the types of people we need in our lives and those are the types of people we need to be to others.
“…I want to assure you of one thing: you can achieve success and be alone, but you cannot achieve success alone. It’s impossible to experience sustainable, enjoyable success alone.” ~Erwin McManus
“So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.” John 13:34-35
- Larry Carter published the blogpost Have You Ever Cut Your Nose Off To Spite Your Face?.
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 17 Practices Of Highly Successful Leaders: Little League head coach Dave Belisle.
- John Peterson published the blogpost You Don’t Have to Be Retired to Rest and Enjoy Life.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 14 Ways for Christian Parents to Teach Kids about Atheism.
- George Bullard published the blogpost Can Missional Congregations Outrun Their Supply Lines?.
- Kelley Mathews published the article When Your House is Dirty and Your Kids are Screaming, Why Care About Ferguson?.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: What if Michael Bay had Directed "UP.".
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Watch: Capital Kings new music video and single ‘Fireblazin’.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘…I remember going to church and getting angry’ – E! News Giuliana Rancic.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Stream Thousand Foot Krutch’s new album ‘OXYGEN:INHALE’ in its entirety.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost In Perfect Time by @SarahSundin | Enter to win a Kindle HDX and a set of books!.
- Kelley Mathews published the article Four Truths to Hold Onto When Family Members Don’t Change.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Mom Comes Up With An app That Locks Her Kids’ Phones Until They Call Her Back.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teen Siblings Create App to Monitor Police Activity.
- Courtney Rowland published the blogpost Tomato and Corn Chopped Salad with Cilantro Ranch Dressing.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost How to Lead and Leverage the Opportunities in Difficult Times.
- Mike Mobley published the blogpost Top 10 Things I’ve Learned in 10 Years of Marriage.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Summit, SEBTS, & Bridgehaven Partner to Offer Biblical Counseling Certificate.
- Jonathan Pearson published the blogpost 3 Lessons About Life From the Big Bang Theory TV Show.