What's In A Name?
Naming a child can be a much discussed and debated topic among parents.
The names we chose for our boys took a lot of time and thought to come up with. We settled on names which reflected "Gentle Strength" and "Bears Christ with Joy." Amazingly, the boys "are becoming their names. One is an athletic, yet soft hearted feeler. The other is our happy go lucky, never have a bad day son.
Naming your child can almost feel like a prophetic exercise as you see them "grow" into their names.
I recently had the privledge to preside over a Nigerian couple's baby naming ceremony here in South Africa. In many parts of Nigeria it is custom to hold this ceremony 8 days afer a child is born to announce the name of the child. A name in Nigeria carrys much significance for the child. Everytime his or her name is mentioned, the destiny of the child is procliamed. This little boy I dedicated actually has 9 names! That's a lot of proclaimation!
This morning, I read my Bible and came across Psalm 54. In verse one, David expresses his need for God to be his delieverer and vindicator.
"O God, save me by your name, and vindicate me by your might."
It hit me. David expressed his trust in God by reminding Him of His Name. He did not even specify which name, just declared that the Name of the Lord would save…
- Blake Atwood uploaded a photo
- Joe Padilla just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Chris Peek published the blogpost Why Simplicity is Necessary to Live in a Story that Matters.
- Blake Atwood published the video 'Theology Questions Everyone Asks' Part II | Gary M. Burge & David Lauber.
- Blake Atwood published the video 'Theology Questions Everyone Asks' | Gary M. Burge & David Lauber.
- Blake Atwood published the video The Counselor: Why Do You Doubt? | Craig Groeschel.
- Ancuta Rusu-Sieng just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Brad Russell shared How to Create and Manage a Blog (Part 1) | Tutorial: NEW BLOGGERS: You can network your blog into the site by clicking Manage My Loft/Blog. Here's a video explaining how to create and manage your blog in FV.
- Dave Jenkins, Jr. created a new gallery
- Brad Russell uploaded a photo
- Dave Jenkins just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Drew DyckMy interview on the Logos blog on how we try to domesticate God. http://blog.vyrso.com/2014/04/23/stop-trying-to-tame-god-rediscovering-dangerous-christianity/
- Blake Atwood published the audio Reimaginining God's Eternal Purpose: Part I | Frank Viola.
- Victor Nunez just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor alum appointed to National Commission on Hunger.
- Dorothy Greco published the blogpost Relevant Magazine: Fear Doesn’t Have to Control Us.
- Lauren Sturdy published the article Fostering Adventures: Veteran Parents Rebuild Lives.
- Blake Atwood shared Getting Your Small Group to Like You: "If people genuinely don’t like you, and you’re a representation of Christ for them, then there’s a great chance you’re acting as a barrier for them to enjoying Jesus. It would be wise for us to not be a barrier. How to you get your small group to like you? Well you can start by taking a shower before group. Then, let’s get to the more important things." — Ben Reed
- Britni Wood published the blogpost IT’S HERE! Get the Ultimate Homemaking Bundle NOW!!!!.
- Deb Wolf published the blogpost A Dozen Things You Can Do to Start Really Living Today.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Kidnapped Boy, 10, Sang A Gospel Song For 3 HOURS Until Abductor Set Him Free.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teens Who Suffer A Concussion More Likely To Attempt Suicide: study.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost New Teen Deadly LSD-Like Drug 25I, or N-bomb Trends.
- Scott Couchenour published the blogpost Serve Strong: An Interview With Author Terry Powell (part 1).
- Brian Jones published the blogpost Should Churches Allow Their Pastors To Smoke Pot If It Is Legal?.
- Nathan Rouse published the blogpost #011 Four Questions You Should Be Asking Your Kids.
- Perry HancockGOD'S WORD 2DAY - Ephesians 2:10 "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works..."
When we think of work, we often see ourselves as employees of the company that provides us with a means to make a living. We may work for a bank, a school, a factory, or even a church.
In this verse we learn that we actually work for the Lord and that we were created to do good works for Him.
Today while you are at work remember that even though you have work to do for your company, you also have good works to do for the Lord.
Do something 2DAY for Him and share your story at 124GO.
- Jeff Randleman published the blogpost Book Review – How High Will You Climb? By John C. Maxwell.
- Donald Williams just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- solomon david published the blogpost Product Video – A Highly Advanced & Elegant X-Cart Module by Perception System.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost Hiring Great People Begins With Great Interview Questions – Glenn Brooke.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost All My Belongings by Cynthia Ruchti | Giveaway, Live Webcast Event, and Blog Tour.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost All My Belongings by Cynthia Ruchti | Giveaway, Live Webcast Event, and Blog Tour.
- Judy Douglass published the blogpost My Practices for Walking Well with God-Guest Post by Steve Douglass.