What's In A Name?
Naming a child can be a much discussed and debated topic among parents.
The names we chose for our boys took a lot of time and thought to come up with. We settled on names which reflected "Gentle Strength" and "Bears Christ with Joy." Amazingly, the boys "are becoming their names. One is an athletic, yet soft hearted feeler. The other is our happy go lucky, never have a bad day son.
Naming your child can almost feel like a prophetic exercise as you see them "grow" into their names.
I recently had the privledge to preside over a Nigerian couple's baby naming ceremony here in South Africa. In many parts of Nigeria it is custom to hold this ceremony 8 days afer a child is born to announce the name of the child. A name in Nigeria carrys much significance for the child. Everytime his or her name is mentioned, the destiny of the child is procliamed. This little boy I dedicated actually has 9 names! That's a lot of proclaimation!
This morning, I read my Bible and came across Psalm 54. In verse one, David expresses his need for God to be his delieverer and vindicator.
"O God, save me by your name, and vindicate me by your might."
It hit me. David expressed his trust in God by reminding Him of His Name. He did not even specify which name, just declared that the Name of the Lord would save…
- Steve Perky published the blogpost How Can The Church Keep Up With The Changing Dimensions of Information? [Video].
- Kim Cedrick Matiga just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost Pre-order @MaxLucado’s BEFORE AMEN and receive a FREE book.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost The latest Quilts of Love release - Hidden in the Stars - out today!.
- Paul Phillips just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Lori Fogleman published the blogpost Baylor Twitter, Instagram accounts top 30,000 followers.
- Rick GibsonNew ways for churches and pastors use online technology to engage and stay engaged with members and the virtual community? Use an online learning platform to teach and train
- RIck Gibson just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Ashley Howland published the blogpost Cancer journey mural: public invited to help paint.
- Brad Russell uploaded a photo
- Michael Ramsey published the blogpost True Guilt vs. False Guilt (And Why The Difference May Be Wrecking Your Life).
- Bill Reichart published the blogpost 3 Things That Must Sync Together Or Ministry Will #FAIL.
- Elise Hilton published the blogpost Dilemmas, heartache and Monday mornin' quarterbackin'.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Kent State Univ. Blasts Red-Stained Sweatshirt Sold By Urban Outfitters.
- Amy Young published the blogpost 9 Ways I Have Been Mentored by People Who Didn’t Know They Were Mentoring Me.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Ministry is difficult…at least no one is shooting at you.
- Lara Krupicka published the blogpost An Excerpt From Bucket List Living For Moms (& Your Chance to Win a Kindle).
- Christen Price published the blogpost Five Tips for Moms of Flower Girls and Ring Bearers.
- George Bullard published the blogpost Shallow Congregations Only Take Off Their Shoes and Socks.
- Barbie Swihart published the blogpost Journey To The High Places: Great Precipice Injury (Week 9).
- Adam Smith published the blogpost #036: Why Is It So Difficult To Be Honest With Ourselves?.
- tiffany schaper just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Larry Carter published the blogpost Why I Failed At Being A Small Groups Pastor (And I’m OK With That).
- solomon david published the blogpost Samsung Introduces Galaxy Note 4 Along With Galaxy Note Edge & Gear VR.
- Michael Lee just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Jarrod Flaming just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Mike Mobley published the blogpost The Five, New Believers, and 1 Peter 1:13-16 This Week.
- JackIe Little just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Debbie Harris published the blogpost Filled by the Exquisite Spirit Of Our Triune God by Debbie Harris.
- Wendy Terry just moved in. Take time to say hey.
- Caitlin Wilson published the blogpost Where Treetops Glisten by Tricia Goyer, Cara Putman, and Sarah Sundin.
- Amy Lathrop published the blogpost Where Treetops Glisten by Tricia Goyer, Cara Putman, and Sarah Sundin.
- Claire Florine published the blogpost “I Feel You Girl”: Sexual Assault in Chicago, and Diana the Hunter of Bus Drivers.
- John Rutledge published the article Evangelical Group Wants Election-Year Conversation About Marriage Equality.