What's In A Name?
Naming a child can be a much discussed and debated topic among parents.
The names we chose for our boys took a lot of time and thought to come up with. We settled on names which reflected "Gentle Strength" and "Bears Christ with Joy." Amazingly, the boys "are becoming their names. One is an athletic, yet soft hearted feeler. The other is our happy go lucky, never have a bad day son.
Naming your child can almost feel like a prophetic exercise as you see them "grow" into their names.
I recently had the privledge to preside over a Nigerian couple's baby naming ceremony here in South Africa. In many parts of Nigeria it is custom to hold this ceremony 8 days afer a child is born to announce the name of the child. A name in Nigeria carrys much significance for the child. Everytime his or her name is mentioned, the destiny of the child is procliamed. This little boy I dedicated actually has 9 names! That's a lot of proclaimation!
This morning, I read my Bible and came across Psalm 54. In verse one, David expresses his need for God to be his delieverer and vindicator.
"O God, save me by your name, and vindicate me by your might."
It hit me. David expressed his trust in God by reminding Him of His Name. He did not even specify which name, just declared that the Name of the Lord would save…
- Brian Dodd published the blogpost 17 Practices Of Highly Successful Leaders: Little League head coach Dave Belisle.
- John Peterson published the blogpost You Don’t Have to Be Retired to Rest and Enjoy Life.
- Kelley Mathews published the article 14 Ways for Christian Parents to Teach Kids about Atheism.
- George Bullard published the blogpost Can Missional Congregations Outrun Their Supply Lines?.
- Kelley Mathews published the article When Your House is Dirty and Your Kids are Screaming, Why Care About Ferguson?.
- Jeffrey Totey published the blogpost Video of the Day: What if Michael Bay had Directed "UP.".
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Watch: Capital Kings new music video and single ‘Fireblazin’.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost ‘…I remember going to church and getting angry’ – E! News Giuliana Rancic.
- Michael Ernest published the blogpost Stream Thousand Foot Krutch’s new album ‘OXYGEN:INHALE’ in its entirety.
- Audra Jennings published the blogpost In Perfect Time by @SarahSundin | Enter to win a Kindle HDX and a set of books!.
- Kelley Mathews published the article Four Truths to Hold Onto When Family Members Don’t Change.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Mom Comes Up With An app That Locks Her Kids’ Phones Until They Call Her Back.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost Teen Siblings Create App to Monitor Police Activity.
- Courtney Rowland published the blogpost Tomato and Corn Chopped Salad with Cilantro Ranch Dressing.
- Mike Liebler published the blogpost How to Lead and Leverage the Opportunities in Difficult Times.
- Mike Mobley published the blogpost Top 10 Things I’ve Learned in 10 Years of Marriage.
- Brad Hambrick published the blogpost Summit, SEBTS, & Bridgehaven Partner to Offer Biblical Counseling Certificate.
- Jonathan Pearson published the blogpost 3 Lessons About Life From the Big Bang Theory TV Show.
- Adam Smith published the blogpost The 13-Step Plan to Run a World-Class Bad Meeting – Glenn Brooke.
- solomon david published the blogpost Guide to WordPress Affiliate Store Development With Different Methods.
- Brandon Swafford just moved in. Take time to say hey.