JERUSALEM (RNS)—Many artistic renderings of biblical figures hang in churches and museums, but no one really knows what they and their contemporaries looked like.
Now, an international team of archeologists, forensic anthropologists and facial reconstruction experts has tried to answer this question by recreating the faces of three adults and a newborn whose skeletal remains date back to biblical times.
(RNS)—Baby boomers might not be that different from the Greatest Generation when it comes to religion. Like their parents, many boomers will attend religious services later in life. But unlike their parents, baby boomers are more likely to describe a deep, intense spiritual connection from a personal experience than a religious one from an institutional practice.
Many of them don’t know it yet, said a researcher at this week’s annual conference of the Gerontological Society of America in New Orleans, but growing old, regardless of what generation you belong to, brings on dramatic changes that can propel people to seek new meaning in religious services.
- Obama to push for minimum-wage hike (CNN)
- Oil exports narrow US trade gap (BBC)
- Relaunch of Obamacare = relaunch of presidency? (Christian Science Monitor)
- Detroit pension ruling echoes to California (New York Times)
- Biden emphasizes 'trust' in China; mum on air zones (Al Jazeera America)
- Hezbollah commander killed in Beirut (BBC)
- Man survives 3 days on bottom of ocean (Washington Post)
- The world's most corrupt nation is ... (CNN)
Culture, Church & Ideas
- The problem with reading the Bible (Pastor John's Blog)
- One plan to have the best Christmas ... even in hard times (A Holy Experience)
- Feed a cold, starve a fever? (BBC)
- Why city slickers should care about the farm bill (Al Jazeera America)
Religion News Sources
CNN Religion Blogs
New York Times - Religion and Belief
Washington Post - On Faith
USA Today - Faith & Reason
Religion & Ethics Newsweekly
Blog from the Capital
Religion News Service
Public Religion Research Institute
The Youth Culture Report